Options

HDLC question

Robbo777Robbo777 Member Posts: 331 ■■■□□□□□□□
I wanted to ask a question about hdlc. I can't wrap my head around just exactly how it works, the in depth version of it? I know the basics of what I read, it communicates to serial leased lines together, but HOW does it do it? How does the isp get involved in the middle and how can one side be a dte and another be a dce when each end must end with a dce modem? Does the line just go straight into the device at the dte end? I'm really confused about this but I'm sure some clarity will really help me out!

Thanks 👍

Comments

• Options
    NansNans Member Posts: 160
    In my view HDLC and the DCE and DTE are separate points.

First HDLC is a WAN protocol that is used to transfer data on the serial links. It is a transportation protocol and I don't think you need to know much about how it does it, but knowing it doesn't hurt. I never studies about that so sorry cant tell you..!!

Second DTE is a router at your house. DCE's may be present at both the ends which provide clocking for your device to work which in this case is DTE your router. ( DTE--> DCE--> ISP WAN LINK--> DCE-->DTE ). DCE may be present at the demarcation point where the ISP's responsibility ends so indirectly they are the ones who maintain those DCE's .

I'm not a professional and I provided Idea of what I know, If I am wrong please correct me.
    2016 Certification Goals: CCNP Route /COLOR][B][/B][I][B]X[/B][/I][COLOR=#008000-->Switch/COLOR]:study:[COLOR=#ff8c00-->TShoot[], CCDP []