How to get better at networking?

systemstechsystemstech Member Posts: 120
Currently, I think my networking sucks. Please feel free to ask random questions and see if I can answer them. I know I'm not at a high networking level. Wondering what's the best way to fix this. Net+?

Comments

• CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    N+ is a good start. Just study and lab and much as possible. It's just like anything else, more exposure the more you learn. I prefer watching videos so I use Professor Messor for N+ and CBT Nuggets & Dan's Courses on YouTube for CCNA level stuff.

What areas do you think you're weak in? The concept of networking or the technical portion?
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    There's no secret. It's just like anything else. Study and practice. Doesn't have to be towards a certification.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • systemstechsystemstech Member Posts: 120
    Codyy wrote: »
    N+ is a good start. Just study and lab and much as possible. It's just like anything else, more exposure the more you learn. I prefer watching videos so I use Professor Messor for N+ and CBT Nuggets & Dan's Courses on YouTube for CCNA level stuff.

What areas do you think you're weak in? The concept of networking or the technical portion?

I really don't know. We have Network Engineers at my page, so I don't touch a lot of it. My job wants me to get better at networking though.. They told me to get the MTA Networking Fundamentals.
  • E Double UE Double U Member Posts: 2,229 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Studying combined with experience.
    Alphabet soup from (ISC)2, ISACA, GIAC, EC-Council, Microsoft, ITIL, Cisco, Scrum, CompTIA, AWS
  • kohr-ahkohr-ah Member Posts: 1,277
    If you don't have the ability to use equipment at work then just lab. Use gns3, virl, packet tracer, real equipment or whatever. Find topics that interest you and build them.

Want to learn BGP? Build it and just tweak it.

Like networker said you don't have to be doing a cert. I read through the two CCIE Cisco press v5 books because I wanted to see the gap differences but have no intention of going for my CCIE.
  • Kopite_21Kopite_21 Member Posts: 194 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Practice! Practice! and more Practice!