B.A Computer Science vs. B.S Computer Science

6thSens36thSens3 Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Is there a huge difference between the two? I hear the B.A is less employable. I want to do the B.A because it is not as math focused as the B.S.

Comments

• srabieesrabiee Member Posts: 1,231 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I've never heard of BA in CS. Very interesting. If at all possible, do the BS in CS. Most job descriptions say something like "Requirements: BS in CS or related IT field."

I'm sure you could leverage the BA:CS degree in job interviews to land a position without too much trouble, but I think the BS is still going to hold more weight, at least on the resume.
    WGU Progress: Master of Science - Information Technology Management (Start Date: February 1, 2015)
    Completed: LYT2, TFT2, JIT2, MCT2, LZT2, SJT2 (17 CU's)
    Required: FXT2, MAT2, MBT2, C391, C392 (13 CU's)

Bachelor of Science - Information Technology Network Design & Management (WGU - Completed August 2014)
  • Arod95Arod95 Member Posts: 216 ■■■□□□□□□□
    From my understanding a college I'm planning to attend describes the BA as having more liberal arts requirements and instead of restrictive electives you get to choose whatever you want. I don't how it differs in an employer's eyes but the core classes are the same for the most part when I compared them.
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You should be able to look at the breakdown of your program, meaning what classes are required. Of course the B.A. in Computer Science would have less math because it is liberal arts. A B.S. in Computer Science definitely has more math classes. Ultimately, it depends which program appeals to you. For example, right now I am doing my B.S. in Cyber Security, but there are three different concentrations, - straight Cyber Security, (which is compiled of what I call filler classes, such as more math, etc.) Cyber Security Business (which has management courses), and Cyber Security - Digital Forensics, (which I am currently enrolled in) I chose this track because I felt it would benefit me more than the other two. It is more specialized and in turn will make me more marketable. So if you have a concentration you should also look at that.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    BS is usually quite a bit more technical with more math/science classes. Some employers specify BS degrees over BA ones in JD's.

Here's a breakdown for the programs at UC Santa Cruz:

BA CS - https://ua.soe.ucsc.edu/sites/default/files/CS_BA_15-16.pdf
    BS CS - https://ua.soe.ucsc.edu/sites/default/files/CS_BS_15-16.pdf
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • shodownshodown Member Posts: 2,271
    I use to be all about the BS degree as it has more math and science built around it which in turns means its harder. With that said you just tend to end up with the same crappy companies and products. You ever wonder why so many countries that focus on the math and science can't innovate.

The BA degree exposes you more to the arts and humanities. This is turn how you get Apple, Facebook, Tesla. Steve jobs even said Apple is combining the liberal arts with the sciences. So now how do we choose a degree? I personally would do the BA option, but still take more of the math classes, but ditch the chem, and higher level physics classes and fill that space in with humanities.
    Currently Reading

CUCM SRND 9x/10, UCCX SRND 10x, QOS SRND, SIP Trunking Guide, anything contact center related
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have BA in Computer info Systems.

at the time The only difference was the BA took more Business classes and BS took more math and engineering. Difference was about 4 classes. We took same amount of computer programming classes.

the BS required 3 levels of calculus. The BA required accounting. I took Calculus 1 and also Business calculus.

when I got into field, I found many programmers without degrees.

now in network and system administration finding new generation with no degrees. And in some cases no certifications.

i still recommend degrees and some certifications.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    It comes down also to the particulars of the degree. Depending on what electives you take alongside the major Computer Science components, might help enter particular fields. As someone else noted, they did more business subjects. This could be a powerful point of differentiation.

Think about what you are interested in also. If it's straight up computer programming, then the BS might be more useful. If it's the human machine interaction (like stuff like ergonomics or UI/UX design), then there could be elements like psychology or even philosophy or other classes which could be useful. If you have a business bent, then business classes are very useful. Being able to work with business is one of those skills business loves in IT people.

You might have the option also that once you have enrolled, that you can change programs if you find one or the other is more attractive. The other thing to keep in mind is that long term, it isn't going to matter that much. You will find what interests you and get good at it and will be able to point to more concrete accomplishments (eg designed the backend transaction processing system for a 10,000 user high availability online trading platform).

My personal feeling is that you are far better off doing what interests you, and what you like doing, at university. It can be expensive, so if it is intrinsically rewarding it makes the whole thing nicer.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • CyberWorldCyberWorld Banned Posts: 10 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    CyberWorld wrote: »
    What is ba

B.A. is degree of Bachelor of Arts. It is typically more flexible in its content and contains "liberal arts" subjects, which can include some computing subjects at some institutions. It's possible to get a B.A. with a major study in "scientific" areas like mathematics, psychology, etc.

Interestingly, back in the mid 20th Century the B.A. was considered the "Gentleman's degree" and the Bachelor Science was considered the lesser degree since it was seen as a bit more 'trade'. As more people have gone to university, the demand for more vocationally oriented degrees has increased, this also combined with many vocational institutions (everything from Agriculture, Teaching, Engineering, Polytechnics etc) becoming universities. The end result is that vocational degrees now hold more prestige.

At some institutions the BA is the default degree, if you don't meet the requirements (in terms of subjects studied) for other degrees, you end up with a BA.

But the BA, being more flexible, can be a good choice for people who have disparate interests but only want one degree. They can try a major/minor or double major with a science area and a liberal arts area like computing and business or gender studies and mathematics.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM