Options

Question About Quantifying Bullet Points On Resume

aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
This is a really specific question and I should probably just create a resume review thread, but I've been going through my resume trying to quantify the bullet points I use for my job descriptions. The bullet point I'm having difficulty with is:

"Boosted department productivity by developing several bash scripts to automate complex tasks and streamline completion of technical support cases"

So, I did some testing and with one of the scripts that I developed for a particular kind of case, I was able to reduce case completion time from 15 minutes 40 seconds to 18 seconds on the high end and from 1 minute 50 seconds to 5 seconds on the low end.

High End: 5122.222222222222% Increase
Low End: 2100% Increase
Average: 3611.111111111% Increase

How do I word the bullet point, such that it shows the improvement I made, but without sounding ridiculous by having an absurdly high percentage increase in productivity (3611% average)? It sounds like I'm lying or that I don't know how to calculate percentages (which may be true, I was using a percentage increase calculator I found online lol).
2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)

Comments

• Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    You could leave out the % and just mention the times.

Having said that, without any background, the times are irrelevant I think

Whilst you could say

• Development of a bash script to reduce case completion times from 15 Minutes to 18 Seconds

And let them calculate it - case completion could mean anything really

Could do something like

Automation and Streamlining Support Systems using bash
    • Reduce ticket closure times, such as alert acknowledgements, from minutes to seconds
    • Automate closure of re-occurring tickets and duplicates
    • Increase productivity through automating complex tasks, such as making coffee using 5 beans
    • Automate ticket re-assignments based on keyword searches using cookie dough
    • Something else I cannot think of

Etc. etc. I get you want to shine by your achievements, but I don't see it works without having the reader any background information. It would work for an application internally, but externally you need to give the reader something to associate with.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p
  • Options
    aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I actually really like the idea of breaking it down into the various scripts like you did. I'll work with that and see what I come up with. Also 5 bean coffee sounds terrible ;)
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)