So I was just fired from my first job out of college

cbm1442cbm1442 Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
I started this job a few months ago and was really excited because I spent a year after college looking for work. It was a help desk role helping end users and occasionally working on some servers. It did not pay much but it was good experience. This week was the end of my evaluation period and at the meeting my boss told me "There was a gap at what he was expecting" and told me that I was being let go. The meeting did not even last one minute and they did not let me finish the rest of my hours. Not entirely sure why I was let go. I never came into work late or left early. I never took a sick day. I even worked a weekend once or twice. I am not sure what happened. I am feeling really upset about this.

Anyone have any advice for me?

Comments

• TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Screw 'em. You're going to have those kind of jobs and they aren't worth it. There will be better opportunities out there. Put this on your resume for experience and go for a better pay on the next job.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,927 Mod
    Did you ask him what was this gap he talks about?
  • cbm1442cbm1442 Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
    cyberguypr wrote: »
    Did you ask him what was this gap he talks about?
    He would not say. He would not even look at me and had HR walk me out. I know I lack a lot of skills that companies are looking for but I really did try my best to teach myself and do better. Many of the systems they used I never touched before I started working there and I learned pretty quick on how to use them. The weird thing is he hired a guy with less experience in computers then me a few weeks before for the same position I was in.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sounds like there was some underlying personal issue or some type of nepotism for that position you have. I wouldn't stress too much on the reason why.
  • jamesleecolemanjamesleecoleman Member Posts: 1,899 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Your boss should have told you what the gap was so you could improve on it.

Keep looking and don't let that discourage you.
    Booya!!
    WIP : | CISSP [2018] | CISA [2018] | CAPM [2018] | eCPPT [2018] | CRISC [2019] | TORFL (TRKI) B1 | Learning: | Russian | Farsi |
    *****You can fail a test a bunch of times but what matters is that if you fail to give up or not*****
  • danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Your boss should have told you what the gap was so you could improve on it.

Keep looking and don't let that discourage you.

I agree here. One door closes and another one opens. Everything happens for a reason. This will probably lead to a better opportunity for you to only learn and grow some more. It seems a manager and company like that does not care about their employees if they did something like that to you. That's not the type of manager and company you want to work for in the first place. You'll do better for yourself.
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
    danny069 wrote: »
    I agree here. One door closes and another one opens. Everything happens for a reason. This will probably lead to a better opportunity for you to only learn and grow some more. It seems a manager and company like that does not care about their employees if they did something like that to you. That's not the type of manager and company you want to work for in the first place. You'll do better for yourself.

That is kind of true. One of my co workers who has way more experience than I do said the CEO of the company has no faith in our department. We were working with a skeleton crew and it was a medium sized company. I was not even given a match for my 401k.
  • GreaterNinjaGreaterNinja Member Posts: 271
    Well if they are letting you go, you are eligible for unemployment benefits. Its usually $900 to $2000/month for up to 6 months :).

If you have a CCNA, then you also should find a better job than helpdesk. Helpdesk in general sucks unless it pays really well.

One thing I've learned in life is there will always be a better job out there for you.
  • paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    After several decades, sometimes it's just not a good fit. It doesn't always have to do with skillset or talent. It could be many intangible and unrelated items such as plain-old budgeting or business direction changes. I've had to fire/layoff/separate many people in my career.

It doesn't really matter why the separation occurred and you may never really know the truth. I hope you can just move on.

And good luck on your job search.
  • Shoe BoxShoe Box Banned Posts: 118
    Learn from my experience. Temp agencies are both liars and don't know what the hell they are talking about. Just because a temp agency says a job will last X amount of time is no reason to believe it. Employers get rid of people when they want.

I really hate employers that are cowards. More than once, I have spoken to a supervisor on a Friday afternoon, and they say "okay, see you on Monday", and by the time I get home, yep, there's a message on the phone telling me the assignment is over. I really hate those lying bastards.

If you're going to fire me or lay me off or whatever you want to call it, be enough of a man to say it to my face. I can at least respect that even if I don't like it. Don't go sneaking behind my back like a little puss.

One of my favorite things to do in this situation, where I get an answering machine message on Friday afternoon, telling me the job is over, is to not acknowledge it. Rage in silence, do not call the agency back, let them call your phone and email all weekend. Then go into work Monday like nothing happened, to force them to tell you then that your job is gone.

I like that feeling of taking control from them. They never know if you might have a .45 in your belt or something. It gives me some satisfaction and gets their blood pressure up one last time.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    danny069 wrote: »

I second that another opportunity is out there for you. :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • CodyyCodyy Member Posts: 223 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Welp, that sucks ..but what are you going to do about it? Continue to be upset or use it as motivation to do what you need to in order to land an even better position?
  • BlackoutBlackout Member Posts: 512 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Sorry to hear this, most in the IT industry have dealt with volatile work environments, and it sounds like this manager was a coward. I have been through quite a few bad situations, and I have suddenly fallen into a really good one, working with a bunch of ex military guys.
    Current Certification Path: CCNA, CCNP Security, CCDA, CCIE Security

"Practice doesn't make perfect. Perfect practice makes perfect"

Vincent Thomas "Vince" Lombardi
  • Danielm7Danielm7 Member Posts: 2,310 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Sometimes when I read things like this that happen right at the end of a temp period where they'd end up bringing you online I have wonder if they are just trying to be cheap. Like before they give you benefits just get rid of you and bring someone else in who will work hourly.
  • gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Agree with Shoe Box. Just accept it and move on, it's probably not related to your skill set in any way.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I am so sorry to hear this. I have been there and it sucks. Learn from this experience and move on. They should have told you there were gaps during the time you were working so you could work on it. Oh well, that is how some companies are.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Shoe Box wrote: »
    One of my favorite things to do in this situation, where I get an answering machine message on Friday afternoon, telling me the job is over, is to not acknowledge it. Rage in silence, do not call the agency back, let them call your phone and email all weekend. Then go into work Monday like nothing happened, to force them to tell you then that your job is gone

Ha! That's great icon_lol.gif
  • Cisco InfernoCisco Inferno Member Posts: 1,034 ■■■■■■□□□□
    I've definitely been there before. Totally sucks. Always remember to have some savings for potholes like this.
    2019 Goals
    CompTIA Linux+
    [ ] Bachelor's Degree
  • TheProfTheProf Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 331 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Its tough to be let go without knowing the reason. Either way, don't let this affect you even though I know it's a hard pill to swallow when it's your first IT job.

Update your CV and keep moving forward. You will land something new and perhaps that new opportunity will be a great fit.
  • systemstechsystemstech Member Posts: 120
    How will OP tell a new employer about this? I'm pretty much in the same boat here.
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was wondering this too. Maybe no position to be promoted to?
    so, to keep costs down, they just bring in new person at lowest pay.

Maybe skill set was missing something? But seems good boss would discuss this with you at 90 days.

apply for unemployment, be sure and do something productive while off. Keep applying and looking for job where you want to go.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Senior Member Posts: 0 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Usually they should give you some justification as to why they let you go. I'm sorry to hear about this icon_sad.gif I wouldn't put them down as a reference as you don't know what they might say about you. Did they have feedback surveys? Some employers receive feedback surveys from users and maybe you didn't have good feedback surveys not entirely sure. If you feel you didn't have a fair shot at this job, I would fight with HR and tell them that you worked there and want justification for being let go. They would have it on file why and should tell you why as well.
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Don't feel bad bro! ... this is perfect, failure is what makes you stronger! ...the fact your on here soul searching is one leg up on them....

Pretty much the same thing happened to me with my former job before my current employer and now 11 months later I'm now managing my own network, VMware cluster and windows domain all by myself for 750 users. Needless to say they let me go for similiar reasons, I felt they could afford me for one and the postion had this stigma around it. 3 people before me never lasted 2 months, so it was a cursed postion.

Now I'm much better off and I'm now having this former company work for us for some of our services and one of their tech came to our location last week and he was former boss. He was completely shocked by the level of detail and design I put into the IT infrastructure at my current employer, he had zero suggestions, I think he came to the location becasue he felt I was incompetent to do the work. I think he realized he ****** up by letting me go....

Rise above it bro, get another certification and then 10 months to a year from now email them, with some new certs in your email sig and watch their reaction, it's priceless....
    How will OP tell a new employer about this? I'm pretty much in the same boat here.
    I was told the best response would be to say it was a contract that did not turn into a full time position. Future employers do not usually ask your previous employer why you were let go. They just wanted to know if you worked there for the period of time on your resume. This is just what I was told. Not sure if it is true.
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I second that another opportunity is out there for you. :)
    just keep pushing Everything that you have learn't will come in handy on the next job.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • eugene_86eugene_86 Member Posts: 67 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Cbm1442 dont sweat it, the above comments are so dead on, I fully agree with Deathmage, its for the best. As long as you love what you do, you will be alright. Keep on acquiring skills, take that anger or whatever emotions you have and channel them into the commandline. If you really love this work nothing and noone can stop you especially some coward employer.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Don't use them as a reference and just say the contract came to an end..
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • echo_time_catecho_time_cat Member Posts: 74 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Deathmage wrote: »

Pretty much the same thing happened to me with my former job before my current employer and now 11 months later I'm now managing my own network, VMware cluster and windows domain all by myself for 750 users. Needless to say they let me go for similiar reasons, I felt they could afford me for one and the postion had this stigma around it. 3 people before me never lasted 2 months, so it was a cursed postion.

Now I'm much better off and I'm now having this former company work for us for some of our services and one of their tech came to our location last week and he was former boss. He was completely shocked by the level of detail and design I put into the IT infrastructure at my current employer, he had zero suggestions, I think he came to the location becasue he felt I was incompetent to do the work. I think he realized he ****** up by letting me go....

Reading that just made my day. That must have been very satisfying!! :)