NOV 1 Start WGU Information Technology Security

CyberJosh95CyberJosh95 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm starting WGU on November 1st. Was curious to know what classes you guys think would be best to knock out first?
I currently an a Cyber Transport Technician(3D1X2) in the Air Force. Was following RatBuddy. He knocked out so many classes oh so fast. I want to be done within the next year.

Comments

• Sledge.Sledge. Member Posts: 109
    In my case, I tackled as many certs as I could, as quickly as I could.

My rationale being: If something (read:life) should happen and I have to take time off, or heaven forbid, stop my degree process, I would at least have fresh certs finished up. Also, getting them out of the way allows you to 'coast' a bit after burning so hard for so long.

I personally tend to do the 'hardest' part of any task/assignment first, and my degree plan was no different. The certs were more involved than Gen Ed or other required classes, so I simply got them out of the way first.

Good luck at WGU!
    WGU Alum - BS:IT Security
    Active Certs: CCNA:Security, CompTia x 3 (Security+, Project+, A+), MCTS (70-680), CCENT, CCNA: Routing & Switching, CIW x 3 (Javascript, Database, Web Design)
  • CyberJosh95CyberJosh95 Member Posts: 53 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks! Hopefully I have a mentor who will be able to go at my pace! That's all I am really scared about.
    Mine was awesome. Once you get to know one another, and he or she sees you can operate at the pace you want to, they are pretty much hands-off unless you need something.

Good luck! :)
    Active Certs: CCNA:Security, CompTia x 3 (Security+, Project+, A+), MCTS (70-680), CCENT, CCNA: Routing & Switching, CIW x 3 (Javascript, Database, Web Design)
  • CCIE Wanna BeCCIE Wanna Be Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Mine mentor isn't, they keep pushing this "Standard Path" bull$#!+, hopefully you get one that is reasonable at the least.
    In Progress:
    WGU B.S. - I.T. - Security (and all the certs that come with it)
    Thanks! I hope I get lucky.
    CCIE Wanna Be - That's what I'm afraid of. Do you think its possible to request certain mentors?
    You can't request that I know of, but if you and your mentor aren't clicking, you can certainly request a new mentor.
    Okay. If my mentor doesn't suite my needs, I will definitely request a new one. Im going to take a couple certs this first term. Want to try to complete 40+ CUs easily this term.
  • ojenksdevojenksdev Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm starting WGU on November 1st. Was curious to know what classes you guys think would be best to knock out first?
    I currently an a Cyber Transport Technician(3D1X2) in the Air Force. Was following RatBuddy. He knocked out so many classes oh so fast. I want to be done within the next year.

I start Nov 1st too. I was following RatBuddy as well and I'd like to follow a similar path. I've got 60 transfer credits from my AA degree, so I want to knock everything else out in 2 terms max if I can. My enrollment counselor pretty much told me that I'd be starting with the A+ courses and Net+ then more than likely the web dev stuff. All the GE courses transferred in and my lower level IT stuff so I already started studying for the A+ now. Hope to take that within the first 2 weeks of Nov.
    ojenksdev - We should definitely keep in touch through the next couple terms since we may end up graduating around the same time if all goes well. Would be good to give each other advice and what to expect.
  • devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I just was accepted for the Nov 1st term too. I had only 38 credits transfer, I have 70 from UMASS Lowell. I have a ton of certs too. I think I can get the CCNA, CCNA: Security and the A+ knocked out quick. I may just get the CCNA done first, and then the Security in Jan for my CISSP CPE. I have one class that I am appealing, but its only 3 credits.
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I start November 1st and only have 60 credits to finish. Let me know if I can help at all.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
    We should all definitely work together, hints and tips always make things go smoother.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If anyone needs helps along the BS - IT Security degree let me know and I would be happy to help. Feel free to send me a PM. I am finishing my degree up very soon as I am waiting just on my Capstone Written Project to be approved. Good luck to all!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    If anyone needs helps along the BS - IT Security degree let me know and I would be happy to help. Feel free to send me a PM. I am finishing my degree up very soon as I am waiting just on my Capstone Written Project to be approved. Good luck to all!! icon_thumright.gif

What he said. I'd be happy to help or to answer any questions I can for people pursuing (or thinking of pursuing) the BS:IT Security degree.

Cheers,

Sledge
    Thanks Sledge!
  • usman4673usman4673 Member Posts: 115
    Hi Guys:
    I am planning to start Nov 1st too in IT-Security track. Nothing scares me more than scripting and programming. I looked at the transfer guidelines and besides OCA 1z0-803 and 804, rest listed for acceptable are all expired ones.
    I dont understand why have they listed OOP for Security track. I'd love to take 1z0-803 or 804 now and knock out 7 credit hours to save my time during a term. What are your suggestions? I am expecting to be waived 85-90 credits. Expecting my evaluation resukts any day now.
  • bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    If anyone gets stuck with C170 - Databases just let me know. I spent a few hours with the course mentors getting help and I finally seem to grasp it. The project for that class is a B.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • devilbonesdevilbones Member Posts: 318 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I am trying to change over to the Network concentration. They will accept more of my MCITP certs and add more credits, reducing my time to complete. Has anyone switched tracks before starting? I dont understand the different programs, the security focus seems to have more Network type certs and the Network has more server OS. Oh well I just want to finish up sooner because I am paying for this on my own dime.
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    usman4673 wrote: »
    Hi Guys:
    I am planning to start Nov 1st too in IT-Security track. Nothing scares me more than scripting and programming. I looked at the transfer guidelines and besides OCA 1z0-803 and 804, rest listed for acceptable are all expired ones.
    I dont understand why have they listed OOP for Security track. I'd love to take 1z0-803 or 804 now and knock out 7 credit hours to save my time during a term. What are your suggestions? I am expecting to be waived 85-90 credits. Expecting my evaluation resukts any day now.

I would take the 98-361 which if I'm not mistaken is the Microsoft MTA for Software Development Fundamentals. It will cover the class and the MTAs are usually not that hard. I took the 98-365 for Server about two weeks ago and made a 91.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/