Options

Can't seem to pass the CCDP Exam! Hoping for some advice.

packet-flapperpacket-flapper Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
I've taken the CCDP exam three times now and have failed each time.

First attempt: Free Cisco Live attempt on a whim. I did zero preparation and scored a 702
Second Attempt: Studied the CCDP FDLG, scored a 689 icon_sad.gif
Third Attempt: Studied CCDP FLG even more, scored 702 again.

for some background, I have the CCNP RS and CCNA: Data Center and approximately 6 years experience in the industry. In my experience, this exam is about 70% common sense, which I believe is about all I've been able to answer correctly. The remaining questions left me confused as they didn't seem to have a clear answer. Seemed like the questions were up to interpretation.

Study materials have mainly consisted of the CCDP FLG. I started to read the CCDP ARCH Simplified book but the book was riddled with mistakes. There were lots of grammatical errors and contradicting info, so I ditched it. I've since picked up Top Down Network Design by Cisco Press. So far the info hasn't been specifically relevant to the exam. I'm 33% through the book though and it's just now getting into actual network design discussion.

I haven't sat the DA exam. I'm just trying to pass the DP exam so it will renew my NP. I figure i can circle back and get the DA to get the full cert when I'm done.

So, with all that said, what else can I do to hopefully ensure the 4th attempt will be my last?

Comments

• Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    What parts of the exam are you scoring low? I failed almost all storage questions and still managed to pass on the first attempt.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    Here's the fail sheet stats from the second attempt, my lowest score:

Design Advanced Enterprise Campus Networks = 67%
    Design Advanced IP Addressing and Routing Solutions for Enterprise Networks = 58%
    Design WAN Services for Enterprise Networks = 75%
    Design Enterprise Data Center = 56%
    Design Security Services = 67%

It's odd that my highest scoring areas were the areas I have the least experience in. Overall, I just suck I guess. I think maybe part of my problem is trying to force this cert through. I'm not overly enthusiastic about the material. Just trying to renew my NP while picking up a new cert. Hoping i can still hammer it out. I don't feel like 702 is all that far away from passing (790 last time i attempted) but i don't know how the points are broken down exactly.
  • Options
    late_collisionlate_collision Member Posts: 146
    The exam breakdown is like this:

1.0 Design Advanced Enterprise Campus Networks - 30%
    2.0 Design Advanced IP Addressing and Routing Solutions for Enterprise Networks - 24%
    3.0 Design WAN Services for Enterprise Networks - 8%
    4.0 Design an Enterprise Data Center - 32%
    5.0 Design Security Services - 6%

You can review the exam blueprint (exam topics) with more detail on the cisco website:
    https://learningnetwork.cisco.com/community/certifications/ccdp/arch/exam-topics

If I were you, I'd review the score sheet from all of your exam attempts and focus on your weak areas, by weight. Correlate your scores with the topics and focus your study to the area(s) you stand to gain the most points. Your not far off, just got to get it done.

Good Luck
  • Options
    Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    I'm sure you will get it next time. Focus more on Data Center and R&S technologies rather than high level designs.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • Options
    creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I havent taken either the CCDA or the CCDP, but don't you think the reason you're struggling with CCDP might be because you're taking that before CCDA?
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • Options
    That could certainly be part of the problem. Just to give a little more background on my reasoning:

The reason I'm trying to jump straight to the CCDP is so that it renews my NP. My NP doesn't expire until May 2016 BUT Im really wanting to focus on getting a Red Hat cert. Given my lack of experience in that department, I figure if I jumped to Red Hat cert now, I'd be in a real time crunch to renew my NP by the time i could sit and pass the RHSCA (I've heard its pretty tough and guesstimate ~6 months to get up to par).

So, I'm trying to get my NP renewed asap so I can focus on the topics I'm currently most interested in. I could probably just sit another NP exam for renewal but I like the allure of working towards a new cert/gaining more knowledge, rather than rehashing info I've already covered in the past. I don't mean i've necessarily retained 100% CCNP knowledge, its just more interesting to me to learn new things than to cover material i've already seen.

My current plan is to pass CCDP for NP renewal, get the Red Hat cert, and circle back to the CCDA if i'm still interested in getting the full cert. Maybe this is a roundabout way of doing it, and probably not the best path overall for achieving the full CCDP cert, but i'm mainly just trying to free myself to study the topic I'm most interested in at the moment.
  • Options
    creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Jeremy Cioara at CBT NUggets has almost completed his CCDP/ARCH course! This is probably the perfect way to get over the hump and have fun doing it! Watching Jeremy teach is like a b12 injection. I suspect it's seven layers of awesome!

Also, they have a short CCDA course as well.

Sign up for a month, and watch the crap out of the CCDA/DP videos. It's like 70 bucks or something.

/creamy
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT