Options

Passed the CISSP on 9-25-2015

cwelbercwelber Member Posts: 38 ■■■□□□□□□□
I wanted to share my experience regarding the passing the CISSP test on Friday, September 25th.

I used the following study guides:

Official (ISC)2 Guide to the CISSP CBK, Fourth Edition ((ISC)2 Press) 4th Edition
CISSP (ISC)2 Certified Information Systems Security Professional Official Study Guide 7th Edition

The following forums:
This forum & Combined Study Notes from techexams.net

And the following question banks:
ISC2 Practice Tests
CISSO Question Bank from upwardpro.com
Pocket-Prep

I spent about a year preparing for the exam, and read through all the materials above several times. One key to integrating the materials for me was immediately thinking about how I was applying the concepts on the job; and how I could apply the security concepts on the job.

On the test itself I applied the strategy of making a first pass on the 250 questions in the first 2 ½ hours. You’re allowed to bring (food and drink) to the test which is kept in your locker and after the initial run through of the test I took a break to clear my brain and refresh my mind and eat. Then, I did a second pass on the review questions and took a final break before making my third pass on the questions. I finished the test in 5 hours with an hour to spare.
It was a great experience and preparation is the key to success with this test. Working in security and applying the concepts as you study I believe helps a lot too.

I would be happy to help in any way I can with others who are preparing to sit for the test.

Thanks to everyone in the forum for all your help and support. The combined study notes I believe made a huge difference.

Now I'm going to send up my endorsement and wait for the email to arrive.

Comments

• Options
    BOUAISSIBOUAISSI Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats !

Endorsement quite easy and fast (took 10 days )
  • Options
    g33k3rg33k3r Member Posts: 249 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Do you feel the content of the Sybex study guide was sufficient for the exam?
  • Options
    jt2929jt2929 Member Posts: 244 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass!
  • Options
    Sam_aquaSam_aqua Member Posts: 72 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratualations cwelber on the pass...
  • Options
    EburonEburon Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Thanks for sharing your insights.
  • Options
    I would recommend obtaining and reviewing the official ISC2 study guide as I saw a lot of material in there which was not in other study guides. I'm told the new test has about 40% new materials.

Thanks to all for the congrats.
  • Options
    Given the resources I am already using (Sybex, Cybrary, Eric Conrad, Transender) I'll probably skip the official ISC2 guide.
  • Options
    Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats!
    One key to integrating the materials for me was immediately thinking about how I was applying the concepts on the job; and how I could apply the security concepts on the job.

Always good to know that people are applying what they learn to their security work.
  • Options
    voodoo26voodoo26 Member Posts: 56 ■■□□□□□□□□
  • Options
    21ctl21ctl Banned Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    congrats again, i need to confirm tthatthe CISSP (ISC)2 Certified Information Systems Security Professional Official Study Guide 7th Edition hardcopy has a pdf version in a cd

am asking because i would love to have a pdf copy on my mobil tablet to enable me study while on the move

kindly update!!!!
  • Options
    My hardcopy (soft cover vs. hard cover) did not come with a CD or electronic version.
  • Options
    I went for the Kindle version.
  • Options
    havoc64havoc64 Member Posts: 213 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My Softcover didn't come with a CD either...but it does have the link to the website with the Flash Cards and practice Questions
  • Options
    GetUmJGetUmJ Member Posts: 7 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congratulations cwelber

I'm actually studying for the CISSP exam right now and about halfway through the Sxybex CISSP Study Guide. I like this book a lot as the material is very easy to follow. I have the CBK 4th Edition as well, I bought that book when it was first released because it was the only book on the market at the time but I've read about countless errors in that book I decided to purchase another one. Definitely appreciate your write-up and will reach out to you if I have any questions.
  • Options
    DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□