Trouble locating a new job

SavvyITSavvyIT Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi! This is my first post but I've been lurking for years. Very helpful forum you have here. Thanks for all the advice so far!

I'll keep this as short as possible. I worked as a contractor at a military help desk of sorts around 3 years ago, as a civilian. I had some health problems and was unable to keep up with the schedule, and the company refused to adjust my schedule while I recovered, and then let me go shortly after. I am better now.

I currently work at a local computer repair shop that has 4 locations nearby, and have been working here since I left the previous Tier II help desk job ~2yrs ago. I'm a lead technician and do everything from repairs and diagnostics to fully building new computers, but as you know if you've had a job like this, it doesn't pay much at all ($10/hr no benefits). It was great while dealing with health stuff because the schedule was flexible. But now that I'm better, I'm ready to jump back into a real IT job.

Several months ago I acquired my Security+ CE cert, and I have my A+ CE as well. I've been searching for a help desk job locally (Georgia, a city to the East of Atlanta) as well as in Charleston, SC (a friend lives there and has an apartment room waiting for me if I find a job).
I would say my skill level is around Tier II help desk or Jr Sys admin. I have little experience with VM's and only basic experience with Active Directory (creating and modifying accounts, etc).

I am just not able to find a help desk job anywhere. I'm not being picky either. From what I've learned, pretty much any good job will be filled from internal employees or through a referral and won't be posted online publicly.

I have created a LinkedIn profile and completely rounded out every section with plenty of details and info. I've been networking, I've joined professional groups and participated in discussions. My friend with a BMA bachelor degree helped me make sure everything was in order and appealing to the eye.
I also had a friend of mine, a teacher of several decades, help me with my resume.

I will be going back to college now that my health issues are under control. I know a degree will help me.

I am very personal and friendly, I can deescalate any situation given to me, I go above and beyond, I learn very quickly and am always open to learning new things, and I am aware of the power of Google search.

I am not asking for a high paycheck, $16-$19 (amount before subtracting benefit costs) would get me by right now.
Am I doing something wrong? Any advice for me?

TL;DR: I'm 26. Currently employed but actively searching for a new job. I can't find a help desk job, I've been searching for 3-4mo. I am currently (but only temporarily) ineligible for a Gov't Security Clearance. I have my A+ CE and Sec+ CE, MCP, among other certs. Should I broaden my search beyond help desk roles? I have written a new unique cover letter for each applied position. I feel as though my lack of degree is holding me back.

My resume for your viewing and any constructive criticism or tips you may have.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/srdoaxexdvjknyu/Censored%20Resume.docx?dl=0

Thank you so much for taking the time to read that novel I wrote. I am open to absolutely any advice on anything. Thanks! bowing.gif

-Savvy

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Where do you live? Are there alot of job listings where you live?
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • SavvyITSavvyIT Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I live in Augusta, GA. Due to Fort Gordon (with NSA buildings) and the Army's Cyber Command HQ being located in this same area, 90%+ of IT jobs require a security clearance (contractor/NSA/Army/etc).

There is one call center that's opening locally for Unisys, and there are 3-4 contract companies hiring for that one location. And I've actually been promised a job when I'm eligible for a clearance again. But for the mean time, I've been searching for a non-classified position.

Other than Unisys, there are very very few help desk jobs posted and so far I haven't found a single Jr. position (jr sys admin, etc).
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Have you had any recruiters calling you? They can come in handy as they can sometimes sniff out positions that you yourself are not seeing. Of course sometimes they talk to you once and never call again but that's all part of the game. I would get that resume updated (and edited) and get it out there. Dice.com, Indeed.com etc.
  • NicWhiteNicWhite Member Posts: 134
    Have you considered looking for positions closer to Atlanta? With a possible relocation.
    WGU - BS Software Development
    Start Date: 2/1/2016
    Transferred 40 / Complete 23 / Remaining 60
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    ..and join LinkedIN
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Maybe you should go back to school and get a degree? Just a thought.
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    ..and join LinkedIN

I agree with scaredoftest join LinkedIn it can be very helpful. use it to connect with some of the I.T professionals in your area, make them familiar with what your trying to do and the rest is history!
    PS: when you look at other peoples profile you will be able to see their job title, their certs and education and it will give you an idea what is required for a particular position.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Another vote for LinkedIn it's becoming the new way of finding talent and it's a great resource for networking. I got my last job by someone who found me on LinkedIn. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Another +1 for LinkedIn, I completely forgot. I have had more than one job offer come my way through that site.
  • BurnsieBurnsie Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    SavvyIT wrote: »
    I am currently (but only temporarily) ineligible for a Gov't Security Clearance.

-Savvy

If you're in an area that is mainly filled with clearance required jobs, getting the clearance back is paramount. Do not feel pressured to answer this if you don't feel comfortable (I won't be offended, your private life is your own), but how are you "temporarily" ineligible? In my experience, you either are or aren't eligible. Most situations that would stop someone from getting a clearance renewed, won't ever go away to the point that would make them eligible again.

So, if I were in your shoes, and a clearance wasn't in the near future, I would get out of that location and move to an area that is less DOD dependent.

B
    Thank you all for the input, it's greatly appreciated.

Fulcrum45 wrote: »
    Have you had any recruiters calling you? They can come in handy as they can sometimes sniff out positions that you yourself are not seeing. Of course sometimes they talk to you once and never call again but that's all part of the game. I would get that resume updated (and edited) and get it out there. Dice.com, Indeed.com etc.
    I don't have my resume uploaded to any public sites, I don't really like the idea of almost anybody being able to view so much about my life/career. What if somebody uses your name/info for malicious purposes? Is it safe to post your resume on Indeed.com?

Oh and my resume is fully updated and edited. I just 'censored' key information for the sake of anonymity.

NicWhite wrote: »
    Have you considered looking for positions closer to Atlanta? With a possible relocation.
    Yes, absolutely. I don't currently have the funds to move, but I am working on that. For right now I'm limited to Augusta and Charleston.
    ..and join LinkedIN
    I have created a LinkedIn profile and completely rounded out every section with plenty of details and info. I've been networking, I've joined professional groups and participated in discussions. My friend with a BMA bachelor degree helped me make sure everything was in order and appealing to the eye.
    icon_wink.gif
    broli720 wrote: »
    Maybe you should go back to school and get a degree? Just a thought.
    I will be going back to college now that my health issues are under control. I know a degree will help me.
    School isn't free, I'm a grown man and my parents never had a lot of money anyway so there's no help from family. I am going back to school as soon as possible but in the mean time I need to actually earn some money so I can fully support myself.
    Burnsie wrote: »
    If you're in an area that is mainly filled with clearance required jobs, getting the clearance back is paramount. Do not feel pressured to answer this if you don't feel comfortable (I won't be offended, your private life is your own), but how are you "temporarily" ineligible? In my experience, you either are or aren't eligible. Most situations that would stop someone from getting a clearance renewed, won't ever go away to the point that would make them eligible again.

So, if I were in your shoes, and a clearance wasn't in the near future, I would get out of that location and move to an area that is less DOD dependent.

B
    I was arrested a month and a half ago for street racing on my motorcycle, along with 6 other friends. We weren't racing, we weren't driving fast, we did nothing illegal. I mean, I ride a 250cc motorcycle. The next size smaller is a moped. How would I drag race?
    We were downtown on the last weekend of the month (the 28th or 29th or so) and the cops apparently needed to fill their quotas. 11 cops in total showed up over the next 2 hours and the first 7 cops to show up each got to write a ticket and make an arrest (so they could each get fill their quota faster, I would assume).
    Our real "crime": riding a motorcycle in a group.
    At least 4 of us have attorneys and all of them agree the Sheriff's case holds absolutely no water.

So, after we win our case we then have to get our arrest expunged.

I was told by the security officer who recently did a Security prescreening on me that, and I quote, "the government will not consider giving a security clearance to ANYbody with a pending court case."

So I am temporarily ineligible. icon_sad.gif

Thank you all again for the helpful info. I'm all ears (or would it be "all eyes" in this case? ha) if you have any more to part with.
    I guess the best questions I could ask would be "are there jobs other than a help desk that I am qualified for?" and "what type of companies hire on-site support techs that I could seek out?"
    Basically, what types of companies employ locally-based IT support? I can think of several including hospitals, colleges, and the city itself.
  • BurnsieBurnsie Member Posts: 84 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for clearing that up. In that case, it seems it would be best to look on the civilian side and try to pick something up, even if you have to move a little ways. You never know how long it will take for the courts to get everything sorted out.

Good luck.

B
  • broli720broli720 Member Posts: 394 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Well my parents didn't pay for college either. I took student loans like almost every other American and will spend the next 7 years paying them off. You can't expect someone else to take a chance and invest in you if you won't even do it for yourself.
  • VinnyCiscoVinnyCisco Member Posts: 176
    +1 on Linkedin. Even if you have a job, it is a great place to get announcements for job openings as well.
    "Failure is the prerequisite of Success" - V. G.