Sybex CISSP Challenge

lmoworldlmoworld Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
I recently purchased the 7th Edition CISSP Study Guide (S.C.G) and came across something interesting during the introduction. According to ISC2 endorsed study guide states, " we recommend planning a month or so of nightly intensive study for the CISSP exam". So I have decided to test this out. I'm not coming into this exam off the street without experience. I was actually scheduled to sit the exam at the end of this month, but could not convince myself I was ready. The book recommends to find a study partner(s). I am seeking others to join me in this challenge. It's put up or shut up time. How long do we have to go through the same routine of reading every post in this forum before we get out of our comfort zone? I'm ready. icon_cheers.gif .

Deus Ex Machina: And if you fail?
Neo: I won't.

*Note - You do not have to commit to paying for the certification in order to join. Just seeking to motivate myself and others.

Comments

• g33k3rg33k3r Member Posts: 249 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I am scheduled for the end of November. I just bought this book as well. I am curious of what you think thus far in your reading? I've already read the Eric Conrad Study Guide which honestly I like much better. The Sybex tends to be wordy and I don't like how its broken up into so many chapters. On the positive side, its easy to understand and provides multiple ways to understand concepts.
  • lmoworldlmoworld Member Posts: 124 ■■■□□□□□□□
    g33k3r wrote: »
    I am scheduled for the end of November. I just bought this book as well. I am curious of what you think thus far in your reading? I've already read the Eric Conrad Study Guide which honestly I like much better. The Sybex tends to be wordy and I don't like how its broken up into so many chapters. On the positive side, its easy to understand and provides multiple ways to understand concepts.

The wordiness is still there, but I'm committed. I cannot judge a book from only reading 3 chapters. The companion site is pretty good. The book mentions to download the flash cards to your phone, but I could not find an app for it. If ISC2 is endorsing the book then it should be the one used for taking the certification. I have access to all previous books to cross reference and I am using CCCure Practice test questions as well.
    Agree. I will finish it, but it will take a bit of time while working FT and having a family. I am cross referencing it with my detailed notes from the Eric Conrad Study Guide.
  • havoc64havoc64 Member Posts: 213 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I plan on taking the test on November the 7th. I have the official CBK...a sleep inducing monster, and Eric Conrad's books. I also am using the CCCure, Trasncender and Eric Conrad practice test as well as the CISSP Combined Study Notes.

Trying to get in 3-5 hours a day of dedicated study...Domain Three SUCKS!
  • JebjebJebjeb Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Good luck, I did it 6 weeks, 4 should be doable.
    havoc64 wrote: »
    I plan on taking the test on November the 7th. I have the official CBK...a sleep inducing monster, and Eric Conrad's books. I also am using the CCCure, Trasncender and Eric Conrad practice test as well as the CISSP Combined Study Notes.

Trying to get in 3-5 hours a day of dedicated study...Domain Three SUCKS!

This one is for you havoc64
  • NotHackingYouNotHackingYou Member Posts: 1,460 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I also just got this book and so far like the Conrad one better.
    When you go the extra mile, there's no traffic.
    Been drinking the ISC2 Cool-Aid and I have to say I think I am doing okay. The book really isn't bad. I have been using flash cards and the information is sticking. This indoctrination is getting to me. I can't stop talking about it to others. Hoping for others to join. Got to spread the word. Make others see the truth.

P.A.I.N (Privacy, Authentication, Integrity, Non-Repudiation) - No Picture today, but I do have https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a5Q-iV7SX8
    I wouldn't say this is bad book, it is just a tad wordy in comparison to Eric Conrad's book, but it does include the new 2015 content.
  • rony1234rony1234 Member Posts: 27 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I picked the kindle edition of the book yesterday and am quite happy with the explanation and material in it, wish I'd picked it up earlier. I have already completed reading Eric Conrad 2nd Edition which I felt is also a pretty good book. In the Sybex, I like the way they give the real world scenarios and the tips. It is a tad wordy like some of the others have said, but hey it's also got quite a bit of new information that I haven't come across in the other material.

As for the sample questions at the end of the chapter and the sample tests, I think they need improvement.
    rony1234 wrote: »
    I picked the kindle edition of the book yesterday and am quite happy with the explanation and material in it, wish I'd picked it up earlier. I have already completed reading Eric Conrad 2nd Edition which I felt is also a pretty good book. In the Sybex, I like the way they give the real world scenarios and the tips. It is a tad wordy like some of the others have said, but hey it's also got quite a bit of new information that I haven't come across in the other material.

As for the sample questions at the end of the chapter and the sample tests, I think they need improvement.

The sample questions are alright. The book recommends to use CCCure for practice exams. I have been using Sybex website and CCCure for studying. Definitely an easy book to read thru.
  • 21ctl21ctl Banned Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    lmoworld wrote: »
    I recently purchased the 7th Edition CISSP Study Guide (S.C.G) and came across something interesting during the introduction. According to ISC2 endorsed study guide states, " we recommend planning a month or so of nightly intensive study for the CISSP exam". So I have decided to test this out. I'm not coming into this exam off the street without experience. I was actually scheduled to sit the exam at the end of this month, but could not convince myself I was ready. The book recommends to find a study partner(s). I am seeking others to join me in this challenge. It's put up or shut up time. How long do we have to go through the same routine of reading every post in this forum before we get out of our comfort zone? I'm ready. icon_cheers.gif .

Deus Ex Machina: And if you fail?
    Neo: I won't.

*Note - You do not have to commit to paying for the certification in order to join. Just seeking to motivate myself and others.

can u share the pdf
    21ctl wrote: »
    can u share the pdf

I have physical copy of the book.
    lmoworld wrote: »
    This one is for you havoc64

LOVE IT! Thanks Imoworld!
    what ever makes it easier. Definitely still in pursuit. Is it possible to brainwash yourself? Book still pretty descent. I can't complain.
    yea I have the Eric Conrad books but the new Sybex reads easier and I like how they have the domains broken up into chapters. Also like how they keep referring to previous items from the earlier chapters. Up to Chapter 8 and trying to read 2-3 a night....
    BTW, are those what your flash cards looked like? Love it...would love an entire deck of those...lol :D
    The Stride Threat Model
    Asymmetric Cryptography
    Too darn cool!
    For those who have the new Sybex book. What chapter are you on? What are your thoughts so far?

I am on Ch9. Although helpful to some, the wordiness is becoming tiring. Some of the sections in the chapter are rather basic and state the obvious to those with general experience in IT. I much prefer the Eric Conrad book's layout which helps the reader keep information organized. His explanations are much more concise.
    I am also on Chapter 9, did you read the Official CBK? I think the Sybex book is 1000% better reading than the CBK. I too like the Eric Conrad book, but the new version isn't due out until Nov 2..and that's when I head to the (ISC)2 class...
    No I have not read the CBK because all reports state it is not a good resource. Many candidates who have passed the new exam have used the "older" study guides so I think they definitely have their value. I decided to add the Sybex to compliment my study notes from Eric Conrad's book, the cybrary videos, and an online course that stated it included the new material. The Sybex book isn't bad, it is just too wordy for my liking. I am staring to skim certain sections that state the obvious such as Local Caches on page 339. What is really helping cement the knowledge is using these concepts at work where ever possible. Even if it is a discussion, vs actual implementation, it has been valuable.
    Granted, not the easiest to read of any of the Tech Books, but granted, the Sybex is a lot easier than most.. :) Hopefully some of it sticks to me as I test the 7th of Nov...
    Same here. I am scheduled near the end of November. There was a discount for Transcenders so I bit the bullet. I am waiting until I am done with this book to start hitting the questions.
    CCCure test engine is awesome. You can use it to focus on one section of the exam.
  • cfirstencfirsten Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Same here. I am scheduled near the end of November. There was a discount for Transcenders so I bit the bullet. I am waiting until I am done with this book to start hitting the questions.

What's the discount you have for Transcender, if you don't mind. I'm almost ready to get them myself and I'm looking for any discount I can find.

Thanks
    I signed up on the Transcender site and agreed to receive promotions. They sent me a 20% promo code for that day.
  • cfirstencfirsten Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I signed up on the Transcender site and agreed to receive promotions. They sent me a 20% promo code for that day.

Thanks, will do the same.
  • roninkaironinkai Member Posts: 307 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I recently got this book, and working on 1 domain at a time. So far I'm on track. Been studying a week now, on Chapter 3/4. But I'm also doing my MS:ISA from WGU at the same time. My goal cert date is end of Dec.

I'm listening to Shon Harris audios daily on the commute to work. And also testing 1 domain at a time on PocketPrep until I score 90% or higher. So right now my pace is 1 domain per week of study.

I'd like to pickup the 3rd edition of 11th hour next month. I bought the 2nd edition, started reading, but decided to jump into the meat of the content by reading the Sybex book.

Im hoping that with daily CISSP reading, work focused on RMF and WGU focused on Risk Management as well, that I'll have this thing knocked out in no time
    浪人 MSISA:WGU
    ICP-FDO ▪ CISSP ▪ ECES ▪ CHFI ▪ CNDA ▪ CEH ▪ MCSA/MCITP ▪ MCTS ▪ S+
    2020 Level Up Goals: (1) DevSecOps Learning Path (2) OSCP