LabSim Network Pro

lunarianlunarian Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
So my university is making me pay the $111 to access the LabSim Network Pro for my Network class. Has anyone ever used this? I am unable to look at the site until my code comes in, unfortunately.

Comments

• xXxKrisxXxxXxKrisxXx Member Posts: 80 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I've gone through a couple courses on Testout.com. It used to be $89 with a code a couple years ago. The course content is up to date and it's relevant. What's cool is they can incorporate it with your school. Your professor can see your progress in the course, the scores you get on the Labs and Quizzes, and he/she can integrate it with their grading policy within the class. You'll enjoy it.
  • Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I used it for my network class at WGU. It can get pretty dry at times and the videos can seem to run on and on but it's not terrible. I used it as my primary resource for Network+.
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • lunarianlunarian Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the quick responses! I have been planning on going through Professor Messer's series since I used him for A+ but I like that my instructor can do the grading and stuff through the LabSim. Wish I only had to pay $89 but oh well. Now I just have to wait for my code. I hate having to wait for classes to start. I'm ready to start now haha!
  • apr911apr911 Member Posts: 380 ■■■■□□□□□□
    It's been 5 or more years since I last used TestOut but I really liked it and I learned a lot using it.

They were my primary training tool from 2008-2011. With them I got my Security+ and MCSE 2003 both in 2008, my CISSP and 70-298 for MCSE:Security 2003 in 2010 and my MCITP SA & MCITP EA in January 2011.

I stopped using them because they started to become less targeted, the targets they did have were for more "basic" certificates and my knowledge base was more advanced but I loved the way they had the program laid out.

Obviously, it's been some time since I used them so I dont know that my view is still relevant; they could have changed the layout and they have clearly changed the offered certification pathways and with that the value/relevance of the information may have changed but I wish they did more advanced training as I'd probably consider them for my CCIE if they offered it.

Unlike INE or CBT nuggets, et al, I liked the way testout broke up the content into sections and the way the videos and content were integrated into a program so that you could see progress. I also liked that they would provide a summary slide to each section and then quiz you on the knowledge you should have gained.

With INE/CBT/et al, I know Im making progress but it doesnt give the same visual feedback like testout did and only some of the programs are broken up into easily digestible sections (I know they all break things seem to break things into multiple videos but the videos are longer and dont seem to be grouped) and none I've used have given me a "this is what you should have learned" slide or tested me on the knowledge from that chapter.

That's what made testout so great in my opinion. It's hard to use INE/CBT/etc and then take a practice test and find the relevant sections or portion of the videos to review.

I used it for self study so the integration with your school is new to me. I imagine however that the integration however is pretty straightforward and the only difference between self study and program study is that you have someone monitoring your progress and using your quiz grades to derive a course grade.
    Currently Working On: Openstack
    2020 Goals: AWS/Azure/GCP Certifications, F5 CSE Cloud, SCRUM, CISSP-ISSMP
  • lunarianlunarian Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You are correct, APR911. My instructor simply tells us to use the course and we also write a paper every week based on certain topics in our learning. I am enjoying the program to be honest. I still zone out every now and then due to networking not being something I love but it is getting me more interested. I love electrical work so now that I am at the pat about UTP and fiber optics I am perking up but sometimes the instructors seem to drone on and on haha. I love the interactive script and that there are fact pages I can print off for reference. The labs are also very neat in that I can actually 'see' some of the hardware even if I do not have physical access to it. I might be utilizing the site for more than just my Net+ in the future. I don't know if it is like it was that long ago but it seems to have a LOT of information and organizes it appropriately. The only downside right now is that the N-006 is coming out and the current program only discusses the N-005. I wonder what the differences are. I bought the Mike Meyers N-006 and am currently waiting for it to arrive so hopefully when I get ready to take my N+ I can have all the up to date information I need for the exam.

Thank you for the opinions and help, folks! :D
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    i loved Labsim for my CCNA studies. Currently using the Security Pro version and I like it.
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark