Anyone recently passed CASP 002?

suranjitsuranjit Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi there,

Has anyone recently passed CASP 002 exam?

If so, could you please let me know the materials you have used to prepare for the exam (other than actual experience that you may already have)?

Also, is the eLearning material from skillsoft (CompTIA CASP (CAS-002): Complete eLearning Courseware, Practice Exam, and Live Mentoring) is good to prepare someone for this exam?

Thanks,
Suranjit

Comments

• naej89naej89 Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Suranjit,

I haven't take the test yet, i will be sitting for it in 2 weeks. But i can tell you about the skillsoft product, I have gone thru every module, in fact i took the practice test and i can say that i wasn't disappointed, keep in mind that there is no much study material out there so everything you find i recommend to read it or watch it. There is a website called cybrary.it that has free videos for the test and covers every topic in the blue print. i have also read the book for the CASP v1 and also got the to book available today for the CASP v2. I have to say that the sybex book is pretty good. It covers more details than the videos, and some things that skillport doesn't offer, Practice lab. take advantage of this lab. I have been studying for this test for about two months now. Hopefully this information helps.
  • suranjitsuranjit Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi naej89,

Thank you for your feedback. I have recently completed videos from cybrary.it and I enjoyed their lecture.

I am actually looking for few materials whether that could be few good books and/or other video tutorials which will help me to prepare for this exam properly. I understand that these materials are never comprehensive for a certification such as CASP.

Since you are going for this exam within couple of weeks, I would wait for your response once you are done with that. And best of luck with the exam.

Thanks,
    Suranjit
    Hi suranjit,

Sorry for not posting my feedback sooner. I thankfully pass my test on June 10 2015. I can assure you that the test was easier than I expected. I have to mention that I was studying for CAS-002, I bought the sybex book for CAS-001 and CAS-002, also the official guide for CAS-002. Read them until I understood every topic. Did ever single lab in the books. I also watched the videos from Cybrary.it and Skillport. My employer made me take CAS-001. Without violating NDA the test wasn't as hard as I thought it will be, pretty much if you keep in your mind that is a security related test you should be able to find the answer. It may sound redundant but that was mind set when I was answering the questions and I PASSED!!!. I know is not the feedback that you are looking for but the study material between the CAS-001 and CAS-002 is not much different. Remember they added one additional domain on the CAS-002. Hopefully this gives you a better idea on what to expect on the test. study hard and you will see the results.
    Hello naej89,

Thank you for your feedback. And congratulation on passing CASP exam.

So, as per your advice, I should be studying following to have a better understanding of the CASP and prepare for exam:
    - Sybex book for CAS-002 (since I am planning to take this exam in the last quarter of this year).
    - official guide for CAS-002 (from Pearson IT Certification?)
    - And practising labs available within these books should be good to prepare for Performance-based questions?
    - I have watched videos from cybrary.it and planning to review them again.
    - Not sure about Skillport? Are these materials from them costly?

I am trying to find a good bundle of materials that I require to attempt this exam (CAS-002). Your suggestion is valuable, no doubt.

Without violating NDA, please let me know if you have any other advice.

Thanks,
    Suranjit
    Hi suranjit,

to answer your questions

- official guide for CAS-002 (from Pearson IT Certification?) YES
    - And practising labs available within these books should be good to prepare for Performance-based questions?
    If you learn what you are doing and understand every step, it will help for the exam
    - I have watched videos from cybrary.it and planning to review them again.
    - Not sure about Skillport? Are these materials from them costly? some people called Skillport other skillsoft. comptia sells the subscription. personally it was worth it. but it goes for like $250 dollars. these bundle it just a series of videos at the end of every topic you have a quiz an at the end of every module you have a test.
    Thank you naej89.

- Suranjit
  • GRODTGRODT Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Suranjit,

How did you do?

-GRODT
    Hi GRODT,

I haven't got a chance to appear that exam yet. Had a career change (still security icon_smile.gif) so needed to concentrate on that.

- Suranjit
  • vaneetsvaneets Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

I just passed my CASP a couple of weeks ago. I have to say the exam is not really a "yes or no" or "what does it mean" type but really test how well you apply the concepts. MCQ's along with simulations makes this exam the hardest since my CCNA.

I used both CASP books, transcender practice exams, practice exams from the disc that came with the books, a lot of general reading on OWASP and other concepts on wiki or other security websites.

Preparing for SSCP now.

Cheers,
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats on passing! And thanks for the review.
    CASP is being positioned as a practitioner-type exam that tests your hands-on security experience, so...

There is a lot of overlap between CASP and SSCP.
    You may find SSCP easier as there are no simulation questions.:)
    Congrats vaneets.
    Did you appear CASP 002 or 001?

Thanks,
    Suranjit
  • vaneetsvaneets Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Mike & Suranjit

I feel CASP has prepared me for SSCP and if I were to write SSCP exam without any preparation, I would be able to pass the exam. There are only a few new (differently worded) topics that are in SSCP. CASP is much more comprehensive.

I appeared for CAS-002, i don't think you can write cas-001 anymore.

Cheers,
  • ErdinyErdiny Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi naej89,

You mentioned that the Pearson CASP CAS-002 Cert Guide (Troy & Robin) is a must to have if we want to be well prepared for the exam. Wasn't quite sure if i need to also buy the Sybex book? Again this circles around whether its necessary to buy both or not? If not then which one should i buy that can assist me best and if its adequate? Also this is $ related as well.

Planning to take the exam in the next 2 weeks i believe. Have to attempt it quickly cause i have a job interview in the next coming weeks and i want to have this cert to boost my chances of getting it. Thanks and appreciate all other input for me as i prepare for this exam.
  • ErdinyErdiny Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Guys,

I would really appreciate any other input on what books are best and comprehensive enough for me to pass the exam. My only practical method now is self study and i have already contacted a test center to take this exam.

FYI, i have been an IT Security/Audit Practitioner for 8 years now. 2 yrs and 10 months working in IT Security for a local bank and 5 yrs and 2 months in a telecom firm in IT Audit.

Also starting to go through the free Cybrary videos related to CASP. I saw a suggestion too from somewhere utilizing the IT Pro TV.