No experience in Exchange 2013

JerryLJerryL Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm a sys admin so I'm used to the server side of the fence. However, I have no experience in Exchange Server 2013. I'm looking for a book that will take me right from the beginning of Exchange. I'm talking about the "breakdown" of Exchange, how to do an install, etc.

It was recommended to purchase the MS Exam Ref for 70-341. I just got the book and it starts going immediately into mailbox placement and address lists. To me that is not a book for someone who basically knows nothing about how to install and setup Exchange. Can anyone recommend a book that covers the very basics first?

Comments

• someperson49someperson49 Member Posts: 82 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Unless you work with Exchange 2013, you may be better off going for MCSA Office 365, most companies are moving to the cloud.
  • ed_003ed_003 Member Posts: 216
    mastering exchange server 2013 is a good book that goes into detail like all the master series book.. i havent been thru the hole thing yet... http://www.amazon.com/Mastering-Microsoft-Exchange-Server-2013/dp/1118556836
  • TimothyCTimothyC Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just sat for and passed this exam today. 70-341 and it's materials are in no way what you're looking for here. From the exam page itself:

"This exam is designed for candidates who have a minimum of three years of experience managing Exchange servers and who are responsible for the Exchange messaging environment in an enterprise environment. They are senior administrators who act as the technical lead over a team of administrators. These candidates are a third level of support between the Exchange Recipient Administrator and the Exchange Server Administrator."

Go with ed's suggestion and hit the mastering exchange/YT vids on CAS and DAG. This isn't the hardest subject ever when you break it down, but the exam is brutal.
  • JerryLJerryL Member Posts: 96 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi everyone;

What Timothy mentioned holds true to what everyone that I've been talking to has been saying. Anywhere that I've worked, there has been a separate exchange team. I've always been infrastructure/server admin. Most people seem to get "thrown" into it. I've ordered Mastering Exchange and just waiting for it to arrive (sloooowwwww mail...). I'll be going over the book, lots of vids on YouTube and bugging the contacts that I have for help. I think that I can still understand it.

I have some experience in MDaemon support (an exchange wannabe). Hopefully that will help also.

Tks