RHCSA GUI or not GUI

gt510gt510 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi, all!
How to install GUI in RHEL7 or it is already installed?
First time. Im newbie, dont throw tomatos at me plz.

Comments

• HailHogwashHailHogwash Member Posts: 87 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Installation of
    This should help..choose gnome desktop or kde around step 8.
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    It depends on what you really need your RH server for. If it's training, stick with the CLI. GUI isn't guaranteed to be available at exam- time. Command-line is always available.
  • kenrinkenrin Member Posts: 51 ■■□□□□□□□□
    varelg wrote: »
    GUI isn't guaranteed to be available at exam- time.

Is this true? I thought all the Red Hat exams were GUI based now. LDAP, printers, firewalld, kvm, assigning IP addresses is all easier via GUI IMO

I tried looking on their website to see if I could find information about it. I did not find anything related to GUI but I did find something interesting.

Red Hat Certified System Administrator - RHCSA | Red Hat

If you click on audience, why does it say:"
    • RHCEs who are non-current or who are about to become non-current and wish to re-certify as RHCEs"
    Does this mean the RHCSA now will re-certify an RHCE holder? or is this some kind of typo.
    Absolutely not guaranteed to have GUI at exam time. For some of the topics you mentioned, there is TUI avaliable at the command line, or alternative is the double-tab. But GUI is absolutely not guaranteed.
    The quote about re-certification is probably explaining the case of expired RHCE cert and how can it be renewed.
  • VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Like anything else on the exam, if you need it you can install it. You have limited time on the Red Hat exams so it makes sense to use the fastest configuration method available to you, which is the GUI. While I do recommend studying the CLI commands, on the exam use the GUI if you can since it will save you time.
  • rms13rms13 Member Posts: 6 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Verities wrote: »
    Like anything else on the exam, if you need it you can install it. You have limited time on the Red Hat exams so it makes sense to use the fastest configuration method available to you, which is the GUI. While I do recommend studying the CLI commands, on the exam use the GUI if you can since it will save you time.

This is what I understand from Jang and van Vugt's study guides. It sounds like on current exam based on RHEL 7 that gui will most likely be installed on system but if not you can easily install gui. Gui might not be preferred method to do most things in the real world but on the exam where time is money, many things can be done more quickly with gui. I am sure studying how to do things both ways so I'm prepared.
    Sander actually mentions TUI's more than just a few times in his courses. Which are available from command- line, no need to install anything additional and wait for it to be installed. For those instances when commands + necessary options turn into very long strings. So when time is of importance, would you voluntarily install something and wait for it to be installed or would you just go and complete the task with tools already available?
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    GUI is guaranteed to be installable, since you have access to the whole RHEL packages. You are not guaranteed to have it actually installed/configured/booting.
    What you might want to do, is know how to get the GUI up. So things like which packages to install and how to configure run levels etc.

Pretty sure that installing packages and changing run levels are part of the objectives.

The best way to study for RHCSA/RHCE is to do everything over and over until you can do it without the manual. Not necessarily fun, but it works.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
    varelg wrote: »
    Sander actually mentions TUI's more than just a few times in his courses. Which are available from command- line, no need to install anything additional and wait for it to be installed. For those instances when commands + necessary options turn into very long strings. So when time is of importance, would you voluntarily install something and wait for it to be installed or would you just go and complete the task with tools already available?

Yes you can use TUIs but I can only think of 1 off the top of my head I would actually use on the exam. I highly recommend using the GUI if it is installed as it will save you a ton of time. Yes, I do recommend voluntarily installing packages and wait for them to be installed so you don't miss exam objectives:
    Deploy, configure, and maintain systems
    • Install and update software packages from Red Hat Network, a remote repository, or from the local file system

Source:

https://www.redhat.com/en/services/training/ex200-red-hat-certified-system-administrator-rhcsa-exam
  • RaisinRaisin Member Posts: 136
    A couple of my coworkers have taken the exam and all of them have said that a GUI is available. Maybe earlier versions didn't include one but I think it's a standard part of the exam now. Since many of the test prep materials I've seen recommend using the GUI for certain objectives in order to save time. Even if it wasn't I'd probably install it anyways since you're pretty much so guaranteed to be installing things anyways you mind as well grab one more package to make life easier later in the exam.
    @Raisin - That was my experience as well, but for this exam you need to know the test objectives inside and out.
  • asummersasummers Member Posts: 157
    What TUI/GUI tools are you suggesting?

RHEL6 had some useful TUI/GUI tools (called system-config-*) and they simplified things - but I would never recommend that someone install a whole bunch of packages "just in case" - I mean surely you would read the questions first before deciding if you even NEED a GUI.
    asummers wrote: »
    What TUI/GUI tools are you suggesting?

RHEL6 had some useful TUI/GUI tools (called system-config-*) and they simplified things - but I would never recommend that someone install a whole bunch of packages "just in case" - I mean surely you would read the questions first before deciding if you even NEED a GUI.
    TUI tools: nmtui and authconfig TUI.
  • RaisinRaisin Member Posts: 136
    @asummers The test objectives tell you every task you might have to perform on the exam. It's recommended that you familiarize yourself with both GUI and command line methods and figure out what works best for you. If you can do everything from the CLI that's great. If you find yourself constantly screwing up the commands for a task, but the GUI works with just a few clicks of a button, maybe you should consider going with that instead of saving a little time on an install. The real time saver on this exam is going to be doing every task correctly the first time. Many of the objectives build off of each other and you can waste a lot of time troubleshooting if something was done improperly.