A newbie questions

ReyneReyne Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
First of all, my question are about courses, not really about certificates.
The thing is im doing a degree in order to be able to enter university and study IT, im looking forward security and pentesting. I lack basic knowledge about IT, the level of the degree is ridiculously low and Im getting frustated about how slow Im learning.
During the last year Ive been playing around with ruby and kali, but not even enough to be called newbie or script kiddie.
I really want to learn, and my degree is so easy I have plenty of time, 2 years exactly... I simply have to do it in order to reach uni.

Im looking for a course from the very beginning. I saw a few pentesting courses at elearnsecurity, the hacking dojo, and OFSC, but the OFSC one didnt seem to be aimed to newbie because it asked python and other basic knowledge (I do know a bit of tcp/ip and linux, but wathever, consider myself a ignorant), while elearnsec does have one aimed for beginners and hacking dojo to.
I didnt hear quite much about hacking dojo, so I came for a recommendation or some sort.
Any recommendation?

Thanks, by the way.

Comments

• BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    http://www.cybrary.it is free and has lots of courses from basics to "advanced" pentesting. I would start there before you start spending money. A lot of the courses on it are labeled with the certification names that they would correspond to. You know your own strengths and weaknesses, but I would recommend as a foundation the CompTIA A+, Network+, Security+, and Linux+ courses. Then go for the Penetration Testing and Ethical Hacking, Post Exploitation Hacking, Python for Security, Metasploit, Advanced Penetration Testing, etc. You can't beat free training when you have the time!

As far as the eLearnSecurity courses go, they're probably the best training for the dollar that I've had. I would rate them well above SANS training. I did take the student pentesting course and it is definitely at the beginner level so you shouldn't have any problems with it. I would say that if you have the money then go for it. I've heard of hackingdojo, but don't know anyone that's gone through their courses so I can't compare the two.

I'm doing OSCP now and it is a challenge. I'm learning more from it than the eLearnSecurity courses, but it's not a learning style that I prefer. Once you have a solid base in a Linux and generally theories about pentesting you should be okay to start it. Having some scripting/programming knowledge is helpful but not required. There's a module on bash scripting in the course that will help you out, it's all very basic.