Linux Foundation Sysadmin exam getting a lot tougher after Feb.2nd 2016

It may be helpful for those interested in taking the Linux Foundation Certified System Administrator exam that after February 2nd 2016 the exam objectives are getting more complex. Announcement is on their web page https://training.linuxfoundation.org/upcoming-program-changes-for-the-lfcs-certification-exam and when you compare current objectives with the future ones, it becomes obvious how much more complex that exam becomes. Current exam touches nothing on SELinux, HTTP server, caching-only DNS, virtualization, all these topics will be objectives after February 2nd.

Comments

• VeritiesVerities Member Posts: 1,162
    Unless you paid for the $50 voucher, I would wait until this test lowers in price dramatically. You're paying essentially the same cost for a Red Hat exam when you pay for LFCS at full price, except you're going for a relatively unknown, new certification. I bring this up because I keep seeing posts about failing the exam multiple times. If you really want a vendor neutral certification, just go with LPI, at least its known among potential employers and their certifications last for 5 years, while Linux Foundation certifications only last 2 years.
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    I paid $150 (exam plus training material, thought it was a great deal). Although it is true that this exam is relatively unknown and new, it is a performance- based exam and it is convenient: you can take the exam at home. As it is now, I just can't dedicate time required for travel arrangements and actual travel to the nearest Red Hat test center, take time off from work, but I am very much interested in taking a performance-based exam.
    I wish you good luck then. When will you be taking the exam??
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    Verities wrote: »
    I wish you good luck then. When will you be taking the exam??
    Thank you, I am hoping by the end of this month.
    Cool, let us know how it goes.
  • eric.thomaseric.thomas Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are the LPI exams worthwhile taking?? I've been researching and there seems to be a lot of linux administrator jobs posted on Indeed. Am I right?
    I think the LPI exams are worth it since they cover a lot of material and you become more aware of tools and utilities studying for them. One of the most common reasons Linux is in huge demand is because the learning curve is much steeper than Windows, resulting in less techs in the job pool. Unfortunately, the hardest part of the Linux field is getting your foot in the door since most companies require a few years of experience with it.
  • eric.thomaseric.thomas Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    That is very true. Do you work in linux professionally, Verities?
    Yes. I used to be Windows/VMware systems administrator and now work full time with RHEL, HPUX, and Solaris.
  • k sarvank sarvan Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am planning to give the LFCS exam . Please suggest me about the preparing the topics . any one who have passed recently will be a great help.