Should I do Server+ ?

BBirBBir Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
I will preface this by saying I have no certifications whatsoever. I have been working for about 8 years in a desktop administration/jr. sysadmin type of roles. I have been discussing roles with my boss and I think the Server+ would be a good starting point with to transition to a sysadmin/infosec style position with my current company.

Any suggestions from those of you who have certified? SK0-004 study materials?

I took a 100 question practice exam and did very well on it, but could use some advice from you guys and gals?

Thanks in advance!

Ben

Comments

• fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What OS are you running at your job? That should sway your route. If it's a hybrid environment, then maybe Server+ would be a good starting point (especially if work pays for it). I took SK0-003 when it was on sale and really have never found it mentioned much in job descriptions but it helped me retain some hardware knowledge I'd misplaced along the way. Vendor-specific certs usually have have more ROI.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • BBirBBir Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    We are primarily a windows environment on both workstations (7, 8, 8.1...maybe 10) and servers (2012 R2, no clue on 2016 release and use, yet). We have some Linux servers sprinkled in and we may be migrating some DNS/DHCP/DMZ responsibilities to Bluecat, if you're familiar with their stuff.

The ROI really isn't my aim. I am fairly new to this company and have previously not been certified in anything. It is a Medical Device company and is audited often and each employee's profile shows "Certifications" and the auditors particularly scrutinize that part of the profile instead of resumes/work experiences/etc....why I have no idea. HR prefers to have SOMETHING in there, but I will, more or less, use this certification (if possible) as a springboard into bigger and better certs.

SCCM and Security is a big focus for our company in the future.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Given your environment, I would think that A+ would be a better fit, overall. It "might" have a better ROI than Server+, going forward. Naturally, ROI depends on a lot of different variables that are hard to predict. Since you seem to be more concerned with getting a certification that will help you when auditors and HR are involved, Server+ would be a good fit. I would say that it is easier to study for Server+ than A+, the cost of the certification is lower for Server+, and needing to take only one test will be less stressful. The downside is that very few companies know about Server+ and even fewer need/want it. A+, on the other hand, gets significantly more hits than Server+ on the Indeed website.

If I remember correctly, Server+ used to be recommended by Microsoft before tackling their server certifications, though I am not sure what the reason was. According to CompTIA, Server+ is recommended by Lenovo and HP if you want to be one of their technicians. Whether that is true anymore, I can't confirm.

Since you mentioned that Security is going to be a big focus, why don't you put your effort into studying for the Security+ exam? That way, you will have a cert, which will keep HR happy, and you will look like you are staying ahead of the crowd.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
    I get what you are saying, but this is really just to get my feet wet in the certifications route. I have been out of the student/study game for awhile now and want to test methods of study on something that those with certifications have said might be path of least resistance.

After finding a method that works for me now, I will jump into more difficult paths of certifications: Microsoft Server route, Security+/GSEC, etc., depending on where our focus at work wants my role to go. Make sense?
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Makes sense to me. Not many have the awareness to try to experiment with different study methodologies. Good on you. Good luck and let us know how your studies go.

Cheers.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
    That's cool! I think Server+ might be just what you need to get your feet wet with the way CompTIA words their questions and all the normal exam day anxiety/jitters. After taking/passing it, you can decided what feels right for you and your job environment. For me, I took Security+ first and got a taste of the performance-based questions which are staples of ANSI/ISO accredited exams A+, Network+, CASP and the aforementioned Security+. Good luck!
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
    Fuz1on, I noticed in another thread that you suggested a specific 004 studying material, however it was not officially recognized by CompTIA...are you aware of anything that is? Not sure if their is "officially licensed Server+" material or not...
    I wasn't suggesting that material - it was the only text I could find. I passed SK0-003 and can vouch for the PrepLogic Mega Guide! Haha...
    fuz1on wrote: »
    I wasn't suggesting that material - it was the only text I could find. I passed SK0-003 and can vouch for the PrepLogic Mega Guide! Haha...

I will check out that material, thanks!