Readiness to take CISA examination

alvinooalvinoo Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hi there,

I am an Young Infosec professional with 9 mths of working experience in:
- Operating System Review
- Penetration Testing
- Vulnerability Assessment

I also got a 4-year degree in computer science.
Prior to this. I got ITIL and CAPM, I did average for ITIL and for PMI-CAPM i failed once and retake once last year.

I have not started studying but managed to get hold of:
CISA Review Manual 2015 (2014 as well)
CISA Review Questions Answers & Explanation
Is there any other third-party books I can start using this to study? I heard people say All-In-One-Cisa and some 3rd party books is good.

Given my working experience and some certification I have taken, how much effort do you think I need to study everyday? How many chapters and how often should I do the practices given it is less than 2 months?

Will attending the review course by the local chapter be good or should I save the course? What other resources do I need?

Comments

• alvinooalvinoo Member Posts: 12 ■■■□□□□□□□
    any advise if I am suitable to take CISA
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    just use the resources you have. The official Isaca study material is all you need to past the test. Read the manual twice if you can endure the pain. practice the questions from the DB database and you will do just fine. What i find difficult about isaca tests is the wording of the questions not the material itself. Good Luck
    where is the db database?
    The Q&A book and the DB is the same. One in paper format the other electronic.
    I am looking for some third-party study resources which are free. Preferably the person who developed the material has pass the exam. Any recommendation?
    Again, read the passed threads for this exam... everyone says "stick to ISACA official Material". I took CISM earlier this year and the RM and DB questions were more than enough to pass. you must answer the questions the Isaca way.. not the way someone has reworded it in a third party book.
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Read the "I pass" threads. Understand that some have success with David Cannon's book.
    However, the material may be a bit out-dated and the 4th edition will only be out in Feb 2016
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Sorry to tell you buddy, the official ISACA material is the way to go with their exams. Gotta read the book at least once. I usually make a 10-ish page outline as I read the book and review that in the weeks leading up to the exam). Also get the Q&A book(s). The real study value is in the Q&As, but you really should read through & absorb the material in the official study book.
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    alvinoo wrote: »
    I am an Young Infosec professional with 9 mths of working experience in:
    I also got a 4-year degree in computer science.

any advise if I am suitable to take CISA

You did not mention why you want to take CISA exam.

CISA is not exactly an entry-level certification and you lack the required 5 years professional experience.
    Details at How to Become CISA Certified

If you are looking for some security certifications after your name, check out http://www.techexams.net/forums/security-certifications/113328-what-information-security-certifications-should-i-get.html
    Sorry to tell you buddy, the official ISACA material is the way to go with their exams. Gotta read the book at least once. I usually make a 10-ish page outline as I read the book and review that in the weeks leading up to the exam). Also get the Q&A book(s). The real study value is in the Q&As, but you really should read through & absorb the material in the official study book.

I see, how long did you take to finish reading the entire book? Did you read it the second time before making an outline? Did you pass the exam and what is your score?

Where are examples of 'I pass' thread?
    alvinoo wrote: »

Where are examples of 'I pass' thread?

There is a search function on the upper right hand corner of this webpage/forum
  • mataimatai Member Posts: 232 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CBT Nuggets just released a CISA video series. They do offer a 7 day free trial ;);)
    Current: CISM, CISA, CISSP, SSCP, GCIH, GCWN, C|EH, VCP5-DCV, VCP5-DT, CCNA Sec, CCNA R&S, CCENT, NPP, CASP, CSA+, Security+, Linux+, Network+, Project+, A+, ITIL v3 F, MCSA Server 2012 (70-410, 70-411, 74-409), 98-349, 98-361, 1D0-610, 1D0-541, 1D0-520
    In Progress: ​Not sure...
    Hi there,

I just watch finish the first part of CBT nugget. Which is the process of auditing IT information system.
    I am also having the CISA review manual and supplementary manual.
    I just score 66% for the 100 question for chapter 1.

Any advice on how I can buck up?
    continue reading and doing more question.. that will help your score.
  • cardwellboycardwellboy Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi Everyone,

Our team has created an excellent set of 1,000+ CISA study guide questions available at https://isauditcert.com/

Use this guide to PASS THE CISA EXAM!!!!

Thanks,
    CISA PASS TEAM!
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    Mike7 wrote: »
    You did not mention why you want to take CISA exam.

CISA is not exactly an entry-level certification and you lack the required 5 years professional experience.
    Details at How to Become CISA Certified

If you are looking for some security certifications after your name, check out http://www.techexams.net/forums/security-certifications/113328-what-information-security-certifications-should-i-get.html
    This...are you sure that is actually what you want? What are you trying to do in your career? My guess is there are other certifications that would do you more justice at this point than the CISA.
  • Dan-in-MDDan-in-MD Member Posts: 52 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I also recommend the official study guide. I read it and the David Cannon book, but the official guide was most on-target and prepared me for the exam. The ISACA questions (online database) was also useful to improve my test taking skills.
    I have pass the CISA exam on 2016.