Options

First month in first IT job - not so sure...

2»

Comments

• Options
    lunarianlunarian Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am really glad that I am not the only one that hates printers.

Anyways, I say just keep learning and don't worry about people like that. Everyone started out somewhere and someday he may be coming to you for help and you can decide to show him some karma or to be nice and friendly and help out. Either way, grats on your first job and keep on trucking!
  • Options
    psaechaopsaechao Member Posts: 29 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hi Everyone,

Wow, thanks for all the replies! I enjoyed reading all your comments.

As far as the fix, it turns out that whatever port the user was running their Ethernet cable from, something must've been configured on the router/switch from preventing it from seeing the other devices. I had the user find and use a different cable and it worked out perfectly. I was able to see other devices on the network, as well as the network printer.

We are an MSP and we do all our troubleshooting remotely - many of you may know the hardship of this. I, too, have found that printers and mobile devices suck...

On a different note, the IT director at my old company (they are a mortgage company so IT is internal) reached out to me about an open position. The position is actually a networking job which entails going out to branch locations and setting up network infrastructure. I'm hoping this is something that I can enjoy when I go to work!
    DeVry B.S Network and Communications Management: Completed
    CCENT: Completed
    CCNA R/S: 2019
  • Options
    newinew54newinew54 Member Posts: 13 ■□□□□□□□□□
    do not get discourage.. you will find jerks in this world but hey it is part of the leaning experience.. then you will find people that really know their staff and will go out of their way to teach you.. stay with it.
  • Options
    cowillcowill Member Posts: 93 ■■□□□□□□□□
    markulous wrote: »
    So you research an issue, try your best to troubleshoot it, and all you get is a sarcastic comment when you ask for help? Wow...

My best advice is keep your head down and try to gain as much experience as you can until you can find something else with a better learning environment.

When anyone takes on new responsibilities or unfamiliar tasks they feel the same way as you. There's no shame in feeling intimidated or having bad days where you get your butt kicked. It happens.

The middle paragraph means a lot!! By the sounds of things you are in s**** environment...DO NOT let that determine how you feel about
    IT and if you got it or not...gain skills and keep it moving.....
  • Options
    systemstechsystemstech Member Posts: 120
    Sounds like the PC wasn't on the same network. Anyways, don't even worry about it dude. With his attitude, you'll surpass him before you know it.
  • Options
    White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
    psaechao wrote: »
    Hi Everyone,

Wow, thanks for all the replies! I enjoyed reading all your comments.

As far as the fix, it turns out that whatever port the user was running their Ethernet cable from, something must've been configured on the router/switch from preventing it from seeing the other devices. I had the user find and use a different cable and it worked out perfectly. I was able to see other devices on the network, as well as the network printer.

We are an MSP and we do all our troubleshooting remotely - many of you may know the hardship of this. I, too, have found that printers and mobile devices suck...

On a different note, the IT director at my old company (they are a mortgage company so IT is internal) reached out to me about an open position. The position is actually a networking job which entails going out to branch locations and setting up network infrastructure. I'm hoping this is something that I can enjoy when I go to work!

Was the port on a different VLAN? Seen that a million times.
    "The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."