Options

over qualified in present role: advice needed.

KandinskyKandinsky Member Posts: 108 ■■■□□□□□□□
I'm currently working as a tier 3 help desk position for an ISP but it's pretty basic troubleshooting with residential customers. I started with an A+ and Network+ and while in training at this new job got the Security+ as well. I've done help desk for years at another ISP so I'm already pretty burnt out on the entire role, but the company is a good one to work for and I needed a job at the time so I took it to get my foot in the door.

Well, I found out they have this lame 6 month rule where you can't apply for another position until you've been in your current one for 6 months. I feel way overqualified for what I'm doing, especially since I've started studying cisco. I found out today that one of my coworkers has a CCNP!! I confronted him today and asked him what he was doing in our current role. He told me that at the time he wanted to try something easy because he had no "call center experience" but now realizes he made a mistake. I guess he's trying to get in a more advanced role, but because of the BS metrics in this customer service job he's afraid it might hold him back because he's having a bad month.

I currently have about 2 and a half months to go before I hit my 6 months, but my manager seems unenthusiastic about trying to help anyone get to the next level. I discussed my perception of our manager with my coworker briefly and he concurred about him. He's not a bad guy, but he just doesn't seem concerned with helping his employees go beyond the help desk.

Does anyone have any advice in this situation? I live in Florida so IT jobs are not easy to come by.

Comments

• Options
    paul78paul78 Member Posts: 3,016 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Have you considered just trying to look for another job? Sometimes jobs just aren't a good fit.
  • Options
    White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
    Kandinsky wrote: »
    I'm currently working as a tier 3 help desk position for an ISP but it's pretty basic troubleshooting with residential customers. I started with an A+ and Network+ and while in training at this new job got the Security+ as well. I've done help desk for years at another ISP so I'm already pretty burnt out on the entire role, but the company is a good one to work for and I needed a job at the time so I took it to get my foot in the door.

Well, I found out they have this lame 6 month rule where you can't apply for another position until you've been in your current one for 6 months. I feel way overqualified for what I'm doing, especially since I've started studying cisco. I found out today that one of my coworkers has a CCNP!! I confronted him today and asked him what he was doing in our current role. He told me that at the time he wanted to try something easy because he had no "call center experience" but now realizes he made a mistake. I guess he's trying to get in a more advanced role, but because of the BS metrics in this customer service job he's afraid it might hold him back because he's having a bad month.

I currently have about 2 and a half months to go before I hit my 6 months, but my manager seems unenthusiastic about trying to help anyone get to the next level. I discussed my perception of our manager with my coworker briefly and he concurred about him. He's not a bad guy, but he just doesn't seem concerned with helping his employees go beyond the help desk.

Does anyone have any advice in this situation? I live in Florida so IT jobs are not easy to come by.

Its simple. Get out of the help desk. Either wait to apply to another internal position or apply elsewhere. If you already have plenty of experience in help desk than you should not have taken this job unless thats what you want to do or took it out of necessity. Start applying for higher up positions.

If you suspect your manager could care less or shows no interest in your advancement then go above him to his boss and so on.
    "The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."
  • Options
    Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I agree with White Wizard, time to probably start looking else where.

I have a similar situation at my work where I'm stuck in a role that was a foot in the door, trying to get back on my feet after the military, and now I'm bored out of my mind. I work 12hr shifts, do about 2-3 tickets a night, and literally study for certs and my degree. I've voiced my interest to my supervisors and bosses about wanting to get into the networking department but it's always the same company line of "Well when a position opens up we'll try to see if you fit" or "Well, that's not really the progression path for your role so it might not really work for you".

I think we can all understand that companies have a business to run, and the business runs the best with the right people in the right places, so I could see why your boss might be reluctant to let you go but at the same time that's not up to him. Sadly, it has taken me longer than I would have liked to realize that you have to take your career into your own hands if you want to get to a specific place.

I know Florida isn't the best market, from what I've heard but if I was you I would get my resume polished up and start applying to other positions externally that peeked my interest.
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • Options
    Thanks for the replies everyone. In thinking about it more, I think I'm going to tough it out for the required six months, since I only have about 2 and a half more months to go, and keep working on my CCNA. Once I get my CCNA I think I'll have something I can leverage. CompTIA certs can only take you so far. If after six months I give these people ample opportunity to move me somewhere better and they don't, then I'll bounce. I've gotten trapped before in jobs that were less than desirable. That's why I spent way too long at the help desk last time. Let's face it, it sucks looking for work, interviewing and the whole BS, being the "new" person again, having to develop relationships with people from scratch. It's easy to be complacent with a less than desirable job, I'd always reasoned, "well, I've got a job, it's paying my bills, etc" but now I realize that you have to want more than just to cover your bases. You have to really get out there and sell yourself, or your certs don't mean jack. I gotta say I appreciate this forum for allowing me to think out loud so to speak and get stuff off my chest. It helps a lot.
  • Options
    nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    How do you figure that you're overqualified for that position? I can see your coworker with the CCNP, however you're saying you have helpdesk experience, with a Network+, A+ and studying for your CCNA. Do you have networking experience setting up routers and switches in a corporate environment? I wouldn't be so quick to jump ship until you know you can land someplace new. You may need to tough out the 6 months and see if you can move into a junior networking position if that's the direction you want to go.

EDIT: also a lot of companies have the 6 month rule because they don't want to hinder your ability to perform a job by jumping around a lot, companies have to train you on a system and 2 months usually doesn't get you to what level they want.
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)
  • Options
    No, I do not have any experience setting up routes and switches in a corporate environment. I wouldn't pretend to or think that I'm presently ready for a serious network engineer role. The reason I say that I'm overqualified for the current help desk position I have is because I have:

A+, Net+, Sec+, 4 MTAs, an associates degree in networking, years of help desk experience and I'm currently studying for CCNA. I think this puts me at the level of maybe a network tech or somebody who could work at a NOC or maybe a jr network admin. But I certainly feel more qualified than what I do now, which is basically rebooting cable modems, pinging, occasionally remote access, and stuff like that.
  • Options
    thenjdukethenjduke Member Posts: 894 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I would look into other companies. You will be surprised what you can find out there.
    CCNA, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCDST, MCITP Enterprise Administrator, Working towards Networking BS. CCNP is Next.
  • Options
    nelson8403nelson8403 Member Posts: 220 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Kandinsky wrote: »
    No, I do not have any experience setting up routes and switches in a corporate environment. I wouldn't pretend to or think that I'm presently ready for a serious network engineer role. The reason I say that I'm overqualified for the current help desk position I have is because I have:

A+, Net+, Sec+, 4 MTAs, an associates degree in networking, years of help desk experience and I'm currently studying for CCNA. I think this puts me at the level of maybe a network tech or somebody who could work at a NOC or maybe a jr network admin. But I certainly feel more qualified than what I do now, which is basically rebooting cable modems, pinging, occasionally remote access, and stuff like that.

It sounds like you have helpdesk or junior networking capabilities from the experience. Help desks do differ in what work you perform however it may be difficult to jump from a helpdesk to a networking role with just that experience. You should try and seek out junior network or sys admin positions but make sure you are being realistic with your expectations. If the job market is not as active there you may need to move to seek out the role you want or stick with the helpdesk and hope you can move to a different role in your organization in a few months.
    Bachelor of Science, IT Security
    Master of Science, Information Security and Assurance

CCIE Security Progress: Written Pass (06/2016), 1st Lab Attempt (11/2016)