WGU: BS-IT degrees and Scripting & Programming (Foundation/Application)

Hi Guys:
I see WGU has "C173 - Scripting and Programming - Foundation" and "C169 - Scripting and Programming - Applications" listed in all IT degrees.

Being a network engineer, I have never used any in-depth OOP Java or C#/C++. Now what are the options for languages at WGU? I have already taken and passed "Microsoft 98-361: Software Development Fundamentals", an MTA exam and I am hoping that will at least satisfy C173 - Scripting and Programming - Foundation.

I am worried that I might stuck at the C169 - Scripting and Programming - Applications and expense valuable time at learning something that I once learnt and never used it for the next 10 years of professional career. Do they have Python available to satisfy Scripting and Programming - Applications? How difficult or intense that course is? i dont want to enroll and start my term until I know what all to expect on this degree mission.

i want ya'll's help and guidance. Has anyone already experienced and passed those? which languages are available for Bs-IT Security students to satisfy the requirement? Which resources you used? Were there any quizzes, coding assignments or a term-project? Was there any proctored MCQ based exam?

Please help.

Comments

• CCIE Wanna BeCCIE Wanna Be Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm currently enrolled in WGU on the Security track, while I have yet to take this course, it does state in the description that the examples are presented in Python for the Foundations class and Java for the Applications class for Scripting and Programming
    In Progress:
    WGU B.S. - I.T. - Security (and all the certs that come with it)
  • usman4673usman4673 Member Posts: 115
    Oh O. Java for application doesnt sound good to my ears. I studied all these languages 10 years ago, each for 4 credit hours over a 6-month semester and never EVER used them. It will be a nightmare to take this course. I dont find any interest in this at all.

@ CCIE Wanna Be: which courses have you completed so far? Any notes/tips? PM me plz. I am expected to start by Dec 1st. Programming feels PITA when my all career is Cisco-based mostly.
  • CCIE Wanna BeCCIE Wanna Be Member Posts: 95 ■■□□□□□□□□
    usman4673 wrote: »
    Oh O. Java for application doesnt sound good to my ears. I studied all these languages 10 years ago, each for 4 credit hours over a 6-month semester and never EVER used them. It will be a nightmare to take this course. I dont find any interest in this at all.

@ CCIE Wanna Be: which courses have you completed so far? Any notes/tips? PM me plz. I am expected to start by Dec 1st. Programming feels PITA when my all career is Cisco-based mostly.

I am a WGU newb, I just started this month, but I did transfer in 60+ credits, I'm just finishing up Intro to IT, and then I will be doing the Sec+, I'm spending about 2-3 weeks per course, seems to be a pretty good pace for, if you want some insight I'd hit up some of the more seasoned WGU'ers, I know Dakinggammer87 just finished, and fjhesq started last month, they would be better resources than I, but I'm glad to help where/when I can
    In Progress:
    WGU B.S. - I.T. - Security (and all the certs that come with it)
  • cloudyknightcloudyknight Member Posts: 42 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I'm in the last half of the Software Development track. Those were my 3rd and 4th classes. I didn't have much of a programming background and they weren't that bad for me.

They will work on you're critical and abstract thinking ability, so that's always good to have. The provided resources are great. Don't let it freak you out.
  • jeromelongjjeromelongj Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm trudging through c173 right now and it uses Udacity, codeacademy and Linda.com for it. I'm not a fan of the Udacity portion though. C173 is just a test though, c169 is a test + you have to write an application. I have no java experience so that will be fun...
  • bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    Im in IT Security and C169 is Java and C170 is SQL as I am just finishing C170 up right now. Took me a month an a half for C170 but I have zero experience with any programming language.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
    For C169, does WGU make you take any vendor certification like OCA/Microsoft/CIW or or is that an in-house assessment? Does anyone know?
    I'm trudging through c173 right now and it uses Udacity, codeacademy and Linda.com for it. I'm not a fan of the Udacity portion though. C173 is just a test though, c169 is a test + you have to write an application. I have no java experience so that will be fun...

Have your taken the test for C169? Are the tests based on their quizzes/practice questions?

Another question, for most of the WGU courses where their proctored test is required, do their final exams mostly consist of exact same questions you see while preparing the course or is the assessment completely a surprise? Your thoughts and experiences?

I am a professional and understand that memorizing without understanding does bring you any value for your time,$$$, efforts but I want to expense my time,efforts on the courses I like the most and that are directly related to my career and profession. Thats why I have been asking questions about WGU's material, quality of in-house assessments, and their quality of practice exams vs the vendor's cert exam.
  • jeromelongjjeromelongj Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I haven't taken c169 yet myself, that is coming soon though. I took the preassesment cold for 173 last night and scored at 45% lol Good thing is I know what's on the test now. On the second question it really depends. I've seen things on the OA that weren't even covered in the PA on some tests. Most of the time though the questions line up pretty good with the PA but won't be the exact same.
    Does anyone have access to C169's course objectives and tasks? If someone can PM me and share the requirements, I can start writing the required application now and save precious time during the term. Any help will be sincerely appreciated.
    Does anyone know which version of Java is required in C169:Programming/Applications? Is it Java SE 7 or 8? And whats the percentage distribution between Java project and assessment? Lastly, which IDE (Eclipse, IntelliJ IDEA) or Notepad++ is required per the curriculum?
  • yellowpadyellowpad Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I am w/ you. I am taking 169 in a couple of weeks...and...170. I am scared of getting stuck here too. Any one that "finished" can chime in?
    Completed MSCIA f/ WGU~ CISSP 5-days boot camp scheduled :)
    Does anyone know which version of Java is required in C169:Programming/Applications? Is it Java SE 7 or 8? And whats the percentage distribution between Java project and assessment? Lastly, which IDE (Eclipse, IntelliJ IDEA) or Notepad++ is required per the curriculum?

You must pass both the exam and the project to pass the class. You can use whatever you want to write your project as long as it doesn't write it for you. I think the class is based on SE 7 but it's just basic at this point, so the version differences won't come into play.

For those worrying about this class, don't worry, the materials give you all the pieces you need. It's just a matter of putting it all together.
    @ cloudyknight:

What are the requirements of the project that is asked? Rubrics? Which Java concepts should it cover? Secondly, any secret/tip to pass the assessment? Any resource you can point out now so we call can start looking into it now and then try to catch up?
    Considering that it may be 2 or 3 months before you do c169 I don't think it would be wise to start on the project now. They could easily change it by then. The project doesn't take long if you have a solid base in java.

John Purcell has some great videos on udemy and code academy just launched a java course. If you go through those you will hit the ground running.

The exam is straightforward on c 169. Know your java syntax and uml. I thought the foundations exam was harder.
  • bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499

I can tell you that you can use whatever IDE you want. The Udemy videos want you to use BlueJ (ugh) but I recommend using Eclipse. It is just soooo much better.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
    I have started using Eclipse. I know each IDE has its strengths and limitations but I doubt that WGU goes that deep in Java.

Has anyone enrolled and can share (PM) me the course outline, assessment/project percentage distribution? I want to know how advanced does this course become?
    I have already started on Udemy and programming. I know videos/books prepare you 30-40%, its the time spent on IDE that makes you understand anything. No different than being a network engineer. You can watch as many nuggets you want, but its only the time spent labbing that matters at all.
    Passed the objective assessment of C169: Scripting & programming: Applications aka Java, last night with 90%. Kudos for mentoring goes to "BPENN"; he relieved me from stressing out multiple times. If you all recall I have been freaking out multiple times since Sept of last year on this.
    But Java was not that bad. Here is what worked for me.

First of all, "set aside full 3 weeks with 2 hours each weekday and 8-10 hours on weekends (better to split them over sat-sunday.)
    And here is the strategy to pass it the very first time:
    i) Read each chapter of Horstmann's etext, all pages including chapter summary " IN SEQUENCE." When I say "in sequence," I mean, dont go by the crazy sequence that WGU CoS suggests, instead go from chapters 1-9 in order. When you read the chapters, pay very close attention to their figures, tables, special sections.
    ii) Anytime you finish a chapter including summary, complete its "Drill and Practice questions" and try to score at least 80-90% the very first time. They are not at all difficult if you have read the chapters well.
    iii) Anytime, you finish a chapter and complete its "Drill and practice question," try to complete its "flash cards" right away and re-read them.
    iv) As you are finishing each chapter, access Beginning Java [http://mathbits.com/MathBits/Java/JavaOpenPage.htm] and read the same relevant topic here and take their quizes.
    v) Once, you complete a book's chapter, complete its "drill practice quiz," complete its flash cards, and have also studies the relevant topic from the above provided link of "Mathbits," now access Introduction to Computer Science using Java [http://chortle.ccsu.edu/cs151/cs151java.html] and read the relevant topic from here and take their quiz. Remember, Chortle has been the BEST resource for Java preparation and clarification of concepts. You definitely need to study and take quiz of Chortle to pass the Objective assessment the very first attempt.
    vi) Now, if you have been setting aside the time I recommended, 2hrs/week-day and 4-5 per weekend-day; then by the end of 2-weeks, you will have read all 9 chapters, taken their Drill practice, studies flash cards, studied Mathbits Java course, as well as Chortle course and its quizes.
    vii) Now is the time to take pre-assessment. Do your level best.
    viii) Based on the coaching report, now look at how Ch#1 and Ch#8 had the most number of questions. But dont forget that primitive types/data structures/methods had been fundamental in all.
    ix) So, now is the time to brush up your weak areas, study the figures/tables very closely.
    x) Understand what does different variations of substring() do. understand how length/length()/size() are used. Understand what JDK/JRE/JVM entail. Understand what object references are and how copying one reference to another impacts the object they reference to when either of them manipulates the object. Understand what passing by value and passing by reference mean. Understand what are instance variables and what "this" and "new" does. Understand the precedence of pre/post-increment,unary minus/plus, arithmetic operators, relational, boolean &&,||,! and &,| when they are in one expression. Understand PEMDAS and associativity of operators that are of equal precedence. Read Ch#1,Ch#6, and Ch#8 of the book 2-3 times to strengthen your thinking.
    **** Use IDEone, which is the online IDE for Java, and practice what 3/4 results, and what 3%4 does, what 3/4.0 does. What "", null, and " " mean.

If you want more practice and testing of concepts, use Introduction to Java Programming, Ninth Edition

There are more resources and videos for help too. But if you do only the ones I have listed above, you should be able to ACE through the objective assessment in your first go.

Anyway, just for someone's benefit, I am adding additional resources:

Youtube channels:
    =============
    newboston’s Java(Beginner) Programming Tutorials: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLFE2CE09D83EE3E28
    Cave of Programming’s Java for Complete Beginners: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9DF6E4B45C36D411
    Derek Banas Java Tutorial series
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBWX...E8B7F4856C9B19

Lynda.com:
    [FONT=&amp]http://www.lynda.com/Java-tutorials/Essential-Training/86005-2.html?org=wgu.edu[/FONT]
  • N!CKN!CK Registered Users Posts: 3 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thank you for that breakdown usman! I'm starting C172 -Network and Security, C480 -Networks, C173 -Scripting and Programming Foundations, and C169 Applications come 1 January. Should be an interesting 6 months, but with your above plan I think it will help me leap ahead and allow time on the back side if I need to retake anything.