Passed ICND1 today.

hannismhannism Member Posts: 112
I passed ICND1 with a 920/1000.

I used Chris Bryant's CCNA Success: Mastering Binary Math and Subnetting to get the foundation of subnetting, then switched to Keith Barker's CBT Nugget on IPV4 subnetting.[h=1][/h]Once I got the foundation in subnetting, I used Paul Browning's CCNA in 60 Days.
Obtained: CompTIA Linux+ [X] CompTIA Security + [X] CCENT [X] CCNA: Routing and Switching [X] CCNA: Security [X] CCNA: Wireless [X] Linux Server Professional (LPIC-1) [X] SUSE Certified Linux Administrator [X]
Currently studying: Red Hat Certified System Administrator > Red Hat Certified System Engineer > CISSP

Comments

• theeminent1theeminent1 Registered Users Posts: 1 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • Phileeeeeeep651Phileeeeeeep651 Member Posts: 179 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats!! What's up next??
    Working on: CCNP Switch
  • KandinskyKandinsky Member Posts: 108 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • satishtechsatishtech Member Posts: 243
    Did you use any practice exams ?
    pearsons ? boson ?
  • wtrwlkrwtrwlkr Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Take a well deserved break and gear up for ICND2!
  • wayne_wonderwayne_wonder Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hannism wrote: »
    I passed ICND1 with a 920/1000.

I used Chris Bryant's CCNA Success: Mastering Binary Math and Subnetting to get the foundation of subnetting, then switched to Keith Barker's CBT Nugget on IPV4 subnetting.[h=1][/h]Once I got the foundation in subnetting, I used Paul Browning's CCNA in 60 Days.

What did you think of the Browning Book?
  • 7255carl7255carl Member Posts: 1,544 ■■■□□□□□□□
    congrats
    W.I.P CCNA Cyber Ops
  • hannismhannism Member Posts: 112
    satishtech wrote: »
    Did you use any practice exams ?
    pearsons ? boson ?

I did use the boson practice exams, and the netsim.

The boson practice exam is definitely harder than the actual exam. There are three exams. If you can pass those, you can pass the real test without any problems.

The only problem is when I took it, I tended to memorize the answers, which was unintentional.

So, if you do the boson tests, do it when you think you KNOW the material as a way to test your knowledge. The practice exam has simulations that are very similar to the exam format, too.

The Boson Netsim is awesome, as everything is already setup. You don't need to spend time configuring a network like you do in packet tracer. So, if you are trying to get the CCENT in a hurry, the Netsim saves you time.
    Obtained: CompTIA Linux+ [X] CompTIA Security + [X] CCENT [X] CCNA: Routing and Switching [X] CCNA: Security [X] CCNA: Wireless [X] Linux Server Professional (LPIC-1) [X] SUSE Certified Linux Administrator [X]
    Currently studying: Red Hat Certified System Administrator > Red Hat Certified System Engineer > CISSP
    wtrwlkr wrote: »
    Congrats! Take a well deserved break and gear up for ICND2!

Thanks man. I took one day off. Scheduled the test, and am back on the horse.

I'm just down the street from you, in Fort Walton Beach, FL.

Also, I'm a graduate of UWF.
    What did you think of the Browning Book?

The Browning Book was the main staple I used. I also had the Odom and Lammle books, too. (Those stayed on the shelf mostly.)

For the Browning method to be successful, you have to invest two hours a day, if not more. It is not as technical as the other books, but he has you do more labs. Every day you have to read this cram guide to cement the general information in your head.

I didn't feel confident that I could do the CCENT in 30 days, as I don't have a networking background.

I did it in 60 days. But, I do like the structure he laid out.

The Browning book is my main resource, but I augment it with other stuff like Lammle, Odom, CBT Nuggets, Boson, etc.
  • beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats man. I like your approach. I have the test scheduled and been in a rut trying to figure out the best way to do this. Just last week I was thinking of getting the sub netting down first using dancourses and then going through the Chris Bryant videos with Packet Tracer and Boson tests.
    beach5563 wrote: »
    Congrats man. I like your approach. I have the test scheduled and been in a rut trying to figure out the best way to do this. Just last week I was thinking of getting the sub netting down first using dancourses and then going through the Chris Bryant videos with Packet Tracer and Boson tests.

I agree. Get subnetting down until you can teach it to other people, and make it interesting.

Know how to find the subnet address, first valid host, last valid host and broadcast address. Know VLSM, summarization, CIDR notation.

Subnetting took me a while to get, but once I got it, it was good. It's a huge confidence booster when you can subnet, and do it quickly and accurately. You also impress people.
  • beach5563beach5563 Member Posts: 344 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Yea I think it works out better that way. Just have to learn it and practice it.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Congrats!
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • satishtechsatishtech Member Posts: 243
    I am doing the practice exams with the cisco press book and flash cards , they seem
    quite tricky hope that will be enough.Not able to get the boson exams,cisco press
    pearsons must be enough I hope.

Great achievement Your CCENT !!!
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • and1play5and1play5 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Taking my ICND1 tomorrow, been using netsim, cbtnuggets and the odom book
  • and1play5and1play5 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • wtrwlkrwtrwlkr Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hannism wrote: »
    Thanks man. I took one day off. Scheduled the test, and am back on the horse.

I'm just down the street from you, in Fort Walton Beach, FL.

Also, I'm a graduate of UWF.

Cool. I'm a government contractor in Afghanistan. My last job was actually at Hurlburt.
    wtrwlkr wrote: »
    Cool. I'm a government contractor in Afghanistan. My last job was actually at Hurlburt.

Small world. I work at Hurlburt. I am a government contractor, too. We probably know some of the same people.