Options

recently passed a+m need help on resume

NtengNteng Member Posts: 33 ■■□□□□□□□□
Hello everyone,

Folks i have just passed my A+ exam recently and now i am updating my resume. i don't have a real world experience whatsoever. But i have fixed and built pc for friends of mine and others at home. So i want to put that on my resume. i don't know how to say it...under what heading ?? freelance ?

Comments

• Options
    dblink07dblink07 Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Firstly, I will like to say Congrats! I will also like to point out that you could create a sub header with the title "Job Related Experience". Then just put what type of related components of the PC that you have worked/troubleshoot with. Hope this helps! icon_cheers.gif
  • Options
    Thank you dblink07 for your suggestion and i will certainly do what you have suggested but what should i call that sub header ? pc technician...? is that okay or freelance ? i just don't know how to say or what to say it on the resume
  • Options
    oh i am so dumb lol "job related experience"

thanks dblink07 !!
  • Options
    do.tgiangdo.tgiang Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Are you gonna take N+ for next step? Have you ever worked or applying for entry job? I got kind of the same situation with you. My resume is really weak. By the way, I don't even have my college degree icon_cry.gif. I'm studying A+ by myself and planning to take the test at the end of next month. Do you have any advice for me to get that?
  • Options
    Yes, i will definitely take network + as just like you i don't have a college degree either. Also, i have no job experience in IT whatsoever and it will be pretty tough...well, at least thats what people on this site have been telling me; nevertheless, i will apply and see what happens.

Regarding A+....

I had basic knowledge of computers before studying for A+. It took me almost 2 months of study to pass 801 and more than 2 months to pass 802. I found 801 way too easy but 802 was pretty tough. The material i used was:
    1. A+ All in one exam guide BY Mike Meyers
    2. Exam cram by david prowse
    but what really helped me to pass these exams was doing lots and lots of practice tests. One website that i would highly recommend you is:
    https://quizlet.com/subject/A%2B-801/
    https://quizlet.com/subject/A%2B-802/

Make sure you do all the practice tests on the above mentioned websites and you should me good as exam questions are pretty similar to the questions that are on these sites!

All the best to you and remember to study hard, you will pass !!

do.tgiang wrote: »
    Are you gonna take N+ for next step? Have you ever worked or applying for entry job? I got kind of the same situation with you. My resume is really weak. By the way, I don't even have my college degree icon_cry.gif. I'm studying A+ by myself and planning to take the test at the end of next month. Do you have any advice for me to get that?
  • Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Getting experience is probably the most difficult part when starting into IT. Around here, experience is king. I dont mean to discourage you, I want you to realize that the difficulty in finding that first job is worth it because once you get experience other doors quickly open up for you.

As for right now, I don't know if Dell works in Canada but they hire a TON of entry level people for their managed services division. that was my first real IT job, no real experience other than an internship and some soft skills. All they required is that I have an A+ and pass a basic technical phone interview (stuff like what is DHCP, what is DNS, what does the print spooler do and how do you restart it...).
  • Options
    do.tgiangdo.tgiang Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you so much! Its really interesting.