Passed ICND2!

wtrwlkrwtrwlkr Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
Hey all,

I posted a while back about failing ICND2. I just wanted to give you all an update and a pat on my back and say that I passed it today with a 986/1000 after tons of study and 2 previous failures. I don't wanna scare anyone off, but definitely dont underestimate this test. Study and lab. My two main resources were CBT nuggets and the Lammle study guide. Pretty darn excited I passed, and I have a 3 week vacation coming up so I don't have to think of anything cisco related for quite a while!

Comments

• dblink07dblink07 Member Posts: 11 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey that's awesome! Congrats! I too am studying for the CCNA. I have CBT Nuggets access its provided through my employer. Would you say going through the Nuggets and Lammle book alone was enough? Did you use any simulators like Packet Tracer, GNS3? Thanks!
  • wtrwlkrwtrwlkr Member Posts: 138 ■■■□□□□□□□
    You should definitely get some sort of lab. I used an online simulator (not PT or GNS3), I forgot the name of it. But Lammle's book definitely covers the in-depth and CBT nuggets gives good explanations when you're tired of staring down at a page. Thanks and best of luck!
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • hannismhannism Member Posts: 112
    Congrats, man!!! Way to go in believing in your vision and not giving up.
    Obtained: CompTIA Linux+ [X] CompTIA Security + [X] CCENT [X] CCNA: Routing and Switching [X] CCNA: Security [X] CCNA: Wireless [X] Linux Server Professional (LPIC-1) [X] SUSE Certified Linux Administrator [X]
    Currently studying: Red Hat Certified System Administrator > Red Hat Certified System Engineer > CISSP
  • CleverclogsCleverclogs Member Posts: 95 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Congrats on the pass. I've had two attempts at this exam. While my second attempt was a higher score than my first, I think I'm still not getting enough lab experience. If possible, please can you provide the name of the simulator you used?
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • hucklehuckle Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Well done! I'm finding ICND2 incredibly difficult. I actually found ICND1 really simple and passed within a couple of months. Six months later I'm still studying ICND2 and don't feel ready for taking the exam..
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Mr.NetworkMr.Network Member Posts: 117
    Congrats
    CCNA R&S, MCSA.
    Thanks again all!

Cleverclogs, the sim I used was through videotrainer. VideoTrainer - Instructor Led Video Presentations On-Demand It's fairly limited in that you can't design your own topology. That said, it suited my needs in the fact that repetition helped me nail the commands. The biggest reason I used that site is that I'm able to use it at work. My office doesn't have any physical equipment and we can't download third party programs to our computers without a long approval list. The site does, however, have step by step instructions and the labs cover the CCNA scope fairly well.

Huckle, I feel the same way regarding the difficulty of the two exams. I felt that ICND2 was significantly harder than ICND1. I took and passed ICND1 in one attempt after roughly 3 months of study, while ICND2 took 3 attempts in 4 months. I've seen comments here and elsewhere by people finding the opposite was true. I guess it just varies based on how comfortable you are with the different topics. Just keep plugging away and you'll get it. Do you have any practice tests? I used the transcender tests as part of my CBTN subscriptions, and I found them to be pretty accurate.

What's funny is that there's this guy in my office who just took and passed his Net +. He's on a cert bug and told me his initial study plan: study 4 (!) chapters from the Lammle guide a day and he'll be ready to take the composite exam in a week. I tried my best to dissuade him of such optimism. I'm not trying to knock a guy's dreams, and he's a smart dude, but let's be realistic here...
  • Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Excellent score mate, congrats you smashed it man!!!!! Enjoy your vacation, you've earned it!