Computer Technician

HorizonThiefHorizonThief Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all,

I applied for a 'Computer Technician' job at a local school district. The list of essential/important duties is made up of mostly "attend staff meetings", "tutor faculty, students, and staff on use/operation of computers.", "attend technology committees", "clerical duties", and it mentions "maintenance/repair" once. So I'm sensing it's mostly a customer service sort of deal, which I'm fine with. However there is a written exam I'm scheduled to take and I'm nervous as heck about it. I'm terrible at simulations, I work better with a problem I can touch and explore.

Any pointers on what I might expect given the list of duties? It's a long shot, I know... but any words of encouragement would suffice too. I'm also trying to find a simulation/scenario generator that I can play around with, if anyone knows of one?

I'd really like to get this job to help support my family.

Wish me luck...
(In Progress)
Accomplished:
COLOR=#008000][B]100% Done[/B][/COLOR Comptia A+, Comptia N+, Comptia Sec+, AS: CIS (Networking Concentration)
Goals for 2017: B][COLOR=#ff0000]0% Done[/COLOR][/B Cisco CCENT, B][COLOR=#ff0000]0% Done[/COLOR][/B Cisco CCNA: R&S B][COLOR=#ff0000]0% Done[/COLOR][/B B.S. IT Security

Comments

• olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The Computer Tech interview at the school district I work for was so easy it was offensive.
    Youre right. The job is mostly customer service with just helping teachers and staff to get their stuff working.
    I wouldnt stress about it.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would suggest maybe thinking of any scenarios and writing them down on a piece of paper. This might help you simulate possible questions they might ask before you interview.

You could also research on Google common interview questions to help you prepare.

Good luck!! icon_thumright.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • Nightflier101BLNightflier101BL Member Posts: 134 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I would suggest maybe thinking of any scenarios and writing them down on a piece of paper. This might help you simulate possible questions they might ask before you interview.

You could also research on Google common interview questions to help you prepare.

Good luck!! icon_thumright.gif

I agree with this. I've done this for many interviews. I try to search around for tough interview questions, write them down on paper and think through an answer. Also, try to think of responses to all the typical interview questions.

At least it gets your mind working in the right direction.

Learn about the company and have some questions of your own prepared for the interview.

As far as your test, I would expect some questions relating to customer service. How do you handle certain users and problems, etc. What do you do if don't know how to fix something, where to go for help, etc. I would also expect basic computer troubleshooting questions like what is DNS, DHCP, ipconfig.

Hope this helps.
  • NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Hopefully this help
    Preparing for the Job Interview

http://mikenation.net/files/Preparing_for_the_Job_Interview.pdf

Good Luck
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • HorizonThiefHorizonThief Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks guys!

I went in to the exam and... it was *super* easy. I got the feeling it was just weeding out those people who don't follow directions/skip details. The first three questions were based on a inventory graph and asked things like: "Pick the truest statement. A. Lab 1 and Lab 3 have the same number of headphones. B. There are three headphones currently out for repair." Etc...

There were 26 IT questions, 8 Student questions, 8 Warehouse questions, and a few other clerical topics. Overall 60 questions.

Those top candidates will move on to exam #2 next week, which will be a 3 person interview where the current Computer Technician and two others familiar with the position ask specific questions/scenarios you could come up against.

So I'm still nervous, but I'm feeling more confident about the process.

I'll let you guys know what happens over the next few days.

Thanks for the well wishes and help,

- HorizonThief.
    (In Progress)
    Accomplished:
    COLOR=#008000][B]100% Done[/B][/COLOR Comptia A+, Comptia N+, Comptia Sec+, AS: CIS (Networking Concentration)
    Goals for 2017: B][COLOR=#ff0000]0% Done[/COLOR][/B Cisco CCENT, B][COLOR=#ff0000]0% Done[/COLOR][/B Cisco CCNA: R&S B][COLOR=#ff0000]0% Done[/COLOR][/B B.S. IT Security
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Looks like you did well.
    Good luck on the next phase
    Good luck keep us posted!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • HorizonThiefHorizonThief Member Posts: 29 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hey everyone,

I went to the oral exam and did alright. They asked three questions related to student/teacher customer service, asked to be walked through connecting a wireless device to a network, and if I had any experience with Chromebooks. The last question is the only one I wasn't able to give a satisfactory answer about.

Unfortunately I only made the top 10 list, and was not one of the top 3. So unless they go through 9 people in a six month period I've gone as far as I can with this opportunity.

I'm very bummed to say the least.

Thanks for your support,

- HorizonThief.
    (In Progress)
    Accomplished:
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Most of those exams are used to see how broad your knowledge is at a very basic level. Anything you don't know they will probably train you in so I wouldn't worry to much. you will do just fine!
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • snunez889snunez889 Member Posts: 238 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't let it bum you out. I can't begin to tell you how many interview I went to only to be turned down. Take this as a great learning experience and continue pushing forward.
  • nascar_paulnascar_paul Member Posts: 288 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have to agree with snunnez. It's not the shots that you miss that are memorable. It's the shots that you take and MAKE that will count, so keep shooting! When you hit, you'll feel great!
    2017 Goals: 70-411 [X], 74-409 [X], 70-533 [X], VCP5-DCV [], LX0-103 [], LX0-104 []
    "I PLAN to fail!" - No One Ever
    snunez889 wrote: »
    I wouldn't let it bum you out. I can't begin to tell you how many interview I went to only to be turned down. Take this as a great learning experience and continue pushing forward.

I agree and I would add that this also improves your soft skills with interviewing. This is something important to take away as well.

The harvest is plentiful so keep on pressin' forward!! :)