Options

How to start ..

!30!30 Member Posts: 356
Hello !

I want to start my CCIE R&S track.

First I want to take my CCIE written exam , coz it's easier I guess and I can take it in my own country and then the lab exam , on which I have much ,much to work.

I want some information , ( which I cannot find on Google ) , from real guru's :D like you browsing CCIE forum and having CCIE.So I want my CCIE R&S written in 1 or 1,5 year's.I have like a basic my CCNA ( I learn for it 1,5 years ver very well..).A guy having 2 CCIE's told me that after he took CCNA , 1.5 year's later he achieve his first CCIE , so I can to.

I need some book's , what book's , where to start..It's worth having first written exam and then lab after a year ? or more icon_rolleyes.gif

Thank's in advance ! I wait for answer's
Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)

Comments

• Options
    LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    One question for you "!30" are you getting real world experience (do you have a job?) to backup all these certs you keep getting?
  • Options
    No man , I cannot have a job , coz I cannot go to high-school ( 7 hour's per day ) , learn for my exam's ( for getting in university , 5 hard exam in the end of the year ) , learn for this cert's to , have a life , learn other thing's to .. and go to a job to icon_eek.gif

" backup ? , oh .. I have backup.Learning like a crazy man , for almost 2 year's for my CCNA , searching everithing trying to understand , reading tone's of book's and spending my little free time at school going to Cisco Academy .. icon_cry.gif .Using Windows for more than 4 year's and knowing how , why and ..

Let me tell you a thing..Learning for almost 2 year's for CCNA like a crazy man and using Windows to kow every tip and trick , using simulator's , coz my parent's .. don't have money for the real router's .. or swtitche's ..having no job coz I don't have time and in summer .. no one hires u ( I try ) but .. no , no experience , no university .. geting my 70-270,70-271 was a very easy thing .. my 70-291 is many more like CCNA .. searching , reading asking.. probing on my own computer's at home , giving all my money to take me some more RAM , to work Virtual PC 2004 , taking another computer for testing ..

I have no backup .. sorry man , I'll erase this post's , coz ..Thank's all ! icon_wink.gif
    Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)
  • Options
    LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    hey man... calm down, I wasn't trying to dig at you. :S

No doubt once you get through university you will find a job mate :) - Have you tried looking for part time IT work like just 1st line telephone support or something to get your foot in the door?
  • Options
    blackzoneblackzone Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Guy, if it takes you 2 year to get CCNA, it's not likely you'll get CCIE in 1.5 year. CCNA took me 10 days.

Like you said yourself you parent can't afford new routers or switch.

Even if you got your CCIE, 4 years of grueling University doing non Cisco stuff will result in you forgetting 90% of what you learned.

Take my advice, keep learning, but unless you plan on dropping out of University, aim for CCIE after you finish University.

2 more advice I have for you is take the time to learn more langauges(chinese, spanish, japanese etc...). And be friend with rich and success people. The most important thing during University is find people who will help you after you graduate.
  • Options
    @blackzone

Let me tell you some thing's icon_wink.gif
    Guy, if it takes you 2 year to get CCNA
    &
    CCNA took me 10 days.

I was 15 when I begin , NULL at computer's , in high-school.I tryed to learn , I learn many more things , not only for CCNA.10 days' ? oh ya , I could take my CCNP's now , each in 10 day's or less , coz now I know.. if I only had money and eqipment.How old were you ? .. money , knwoledge .. and other's stuff , do you put in balance with me ? .. No you don't.I took my MS cert's each in a few day's , coz they're easy , like you took you CCNA.

I'll take my CCIE in 1,5 year's , why ? ..I'll get a job , get equipment , get money , and some help , I ask you , and pass.
    Even if you got your CCIE, 4 years of grueling University doing non Cisco stuff will result in you forgetting 90% of what you learned.

I have a stunning memory ..ver very good one.I don't say I won't word with Cisco equiment all 4 year's .. We make 3 year's in Romania , were I go..to university.Now I cannot work , no time , but after a year I could , so I won't forget and I'll beocome .. no ?
    aim for CCIE after you finish University.

to later , I'll earn it , them within University ..
    And be friend with rich and success people

I'll be one , but is good to know..
    The most important thing during University is find people who will help you after you graduate.

I'm developing this icon_wink.gif

Thank's anyway..no one told me something about CCIE .. doesen't matter .. icon_rolleyes.gif
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    !30 wrote:
    I have a stunning memory
    Do you remember starting this can I become CCIE? thread?
    !30 wrote:
    Thank's anyway..no one told me something about CCIE .. doesen't matter .. icon_rolleyes.gif

Why should someone bother -- you don't seem to have the time to read the responses (and follow the links suggested) from your previous post. The answers to the questions you asked are there if you follow the links.

Did you consider looking at the Cisco Web site? Maybe the Career Certification quick link? Did you consider following a certificaiton link from the Cisco Certification Tracking Website -- since you say you have a CCNA already? Let's see -- "Certification Progress" -- "Cisco Certified Internetwork Expert" -- hum, "For more information please go to www.cisco.com/go/ccie"

Since you don't seem to have much time.... here is the link that has all the information you will need to become a CCIE.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    darkuserdarkuser Member Posts: 620 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've often thought of becoming a golf club ....
    rm -rf /
  • Options
    bighornsheepbighornsheep Member Posts: 1,506
    LukeQuake wrote:
    hey man... calm down, I wasn't trying to dig at you. :S

No doubt once you get through university you will find a job mate :) - Have you tried looking for part time IT work like just 1st line telephone support or something to get your foot in the door?

I second this...
    !30, I've said this before. You're probably a very smart person, but I STRONGLY recommend at this point you just take it easy and relax. Romanian economy cant be that bad can it? but I dont know, the closest I have ever been to Romania was in Prague, Czech Rep.

I've told you this before, and I've also exchanged words with you on PM. "Chill out" as we say in North America, it means you have to breath, you're choking yourself to death to say the least. You're young, you've taught yourself alot, and in very little time, but you should probably slow down before you hurt anyone, or anything. This might be yourself.

I dont doubt that you're very hard working, and learns alot quickly, you managed to go from having only CCNA, to CCNA, MCP, and one exam away for MCDST+MCSA in like 3 months time? Very impressive indeed, so let's say you do get your CCIE, double CCIE, or triple, what are you trying to prove? You're going to be like what, 21 in 3 years with potentially
    triple CCIE
    CCNA
    CCNP
    MCP
    MCSA
    MCDST
    MCSE

but the news at that time might be, no EXP. no JOB.
    I dont believe I've ever heard of paper CCIE, (let's hope it stays that way), PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, do not be the first one.
    Jack of all trades, master of none
  • Options
    blackzoneblackzone Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    For books, just go to google and search for it. Cisco also list's it's recommended reading "www.cisco.com".

I'm not sure how you can afford the lab equipment as of now. You can try dynamip, it simulate the hardware of an actual Cisco router.

I don't really think you need to ask the question how to start.
  • Options
    mikej412mikej412 Member Posts: 10,086 ■■■■■■■■■■
    I dont believe I've ever heard of paper CCIE, (let's hope it stays that way), PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE, do not be the first one.
    One of the CCIE Case Studies profiles on Cisco's CCIE site has this guy -- working on his 3rd lab attempt "on his own dime" -- but he is working as a Senior Network Engineer now though "he isn't directly involved in Cisco networking at work."

Not sure if I'd consider him "paper" when he gets it, since he does have networking experience.

I think the term for someone with no real world experience who passes the Lab Exam is "lab rat" -- but a "lab rat" beats a "paper cert" any day of the week.
    :mike: Cisco Certifications -- Collect the Entire Set!
  • Options
    SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    mikej412 wrote:
    I think the term for someone with no real world experience who passes the Lab Exam is "lab rat" -- but a "lab rat" beats a "paper cert" any day of the week.

Well, damn. I wouldn't mind being that kind of "lab rat". Not that I think I could pass the CCIE exam before I get lots and lots of routing and switching experience. . . erm. . . "shoved up me" (don't ask, work's a busy a place).

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • Options
    computerguy9355computerguy9355 Inactive Imported Users Posts: 81 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Not to offend you but I would strongly suggest you get some experience first.

Even if you get your CCIE, do you think employeers will hire you ? a friend of mine has interviewed a CCIE before. That guy basically bombed the interview because he couldn't answer some real-world scenerio questions.

Just curious, the money the reason you are trying to become a CCIE?

Anyway..good luck

P.S. since you are an CCNA, let me ask you a question then.

Lets say you are running a network with RIP. Router 1 is connected to router 2. Router 1 has a total of 90 routes in the routing table. How many advertisement(s) R1 needs to send to R2 in order to have the network fully converged ?