MTA Questions

TechZooTechZoo Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hi,

Microsoft has retired the Windows Operating System Fundamentals exam. Can I still earn the MTA without it? Any news on a replacement exam?

Thanks,
TechZoo

Comments

• scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    I took the Microsoft Technology Associate: Database Fundamentals
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I just passed the MTA 98-365 Windows Server Administration Fundamentals yesterday. As far as I know you can earn an MTA by only passing ONE MTA exam. Now that MS has revamped their certification program I wonder how long they will provide these certs.

https://redmondmag.com/blogs/the-schwartz-report/2015/08/ms-planned-badges.aspx
  • G.O.A.TG.O.A.T Member Posts: 138
    There are many other MTAs the Windows OS is probs the most useful IMO glad I got it before it expired! They are replacing it with a similar exam (forgot its name) which is very similar.
  • Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Fulcrum45, honestly how did you find that exam dude? I'm looking at it as need something lighter than CCNA or MCSA just to hit one exam and build up the collection a bit as it's light!
  • Fulcrum45Fulcrum45 Member Posts: 621 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Fulcrum45, honestly how did you find that exam dude? I'm looking at it as need something lighter than CCNA or MCSA just to hit one exam and build up the collection a bit as it's light!

Hey Chev- I had to meet a DOD requirement in order to work overseas as they wanted something in the PC/ Server lineup. I was given a HUGE list of acceptable certs to choose from but my job recruiter suggested I go for one of the MTA certs (I think there are 5 different ones?). They're good for life and supposedly "easy". I didn't find it to be that exactly as study materials were pretty scarce but constant studying over 2 weeks took care of it. As far as I know MS is not planning to retire it anytime soon.
    Thanks dude will check it out
  • doublehunterdoublehunter Member Posts: 59 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Hey guys.. just a really noob question. Is MTA 98-365 really worth it or just jump straight to the 70-640? Can doors be unlocked to be a system admin/server admin by getting this cert under your belt? I only saw this 98-365 just now and I cannot believe it and was thinking to get this one first since it is an easier cert compared to CCNA/MCSA.
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□
    Doublehunter, I may get it because I plan on applying for some positions in the next couple weeks. I'm going to try to study and take this exam with only 1 week of prep. And I think a Microsoft cert on my resume might help my options.

But if you're not looking for another position right now, and you plan on getting your MCSA at some point, just go for the 640. I would skip this test if I wasn't planning on looking for another position soon. The MCSA will look 10 times better then this MTA.
    I am currently working on a help desk position and planning on moving to a higher position and currently working on my ICND1/CCNAX. I saw on other threads that MTA was revised and you can no longer get the MCP by completing one of the MTAs is that true? I also think this MTA cert is unknown to employers but a cert is still a cert and I can probably pass this in less than a month with my experience i guess.
    I would say most certs are worth having so go for it. I'm considering the same, I took the 70-640 a few years back and was the first exam I've ever failed in my life- properly got me down as I have plenty of AD knowledge and experience but the exam is literally designed to trip you up. However I should've got back on that horse and smashed it with a retake but never did. Since then been doing other stuff but my MS certs are out of date so considering the MTA as a refresher an to get back into it in MS cert land.
    Probably going to take this one after my CCNA. Looks like this could open some doors for a server admin post as long as you justify to the employers that you are knowledgeable in that field. It could also be a strong foundation to pass the 640 in my first attempt. Certs are pricey specially on where I am at lol.
  • MamaTis36MamaTis36 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello Everyone,

I am planning on taking my MTA 98-349 and I am taking the MOS just because. I am freshly new to the IT world and to be honest I don't have any work experience just a lot of education experience. My question is this going to be touch for me?
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    MamaTis36 wrote: »
    Hello Everyone,

I am planning on taking my MTA 98-349 and I am taking the MOS just because. I am freshly new to the IT world and to be honest I don't have any work experience just a lot of education experience. My question is this going to be touch for me?
    Go to the Microsoft site and go to Virtual Academy. It is free training. See if it is tough for you.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • MamaTis36MamaTis36 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks scaredoftests I will try that today
  • SuneetaSuneeta Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am planning to take MTA 98-364 Exam, I do have some fundamental knowledge about databases, please suggest some study material or training course.
    Thanks