Passed Security+! What I Used

CertifiedMonkeyCertifiedMonkey Member Posts: 172 ■■□□□□□□□□
I've been lurking around in these forums for a while and a lot of these posts have helped me to pass. So in return, I have decided to pay it forward by writing what I used and what I recommend. I studied for a month and a half and passed with a score of 858 on my first attempt. These are the materials that I used:

Authorized Cert Guide (Primary Resource): 10/10

I HIGHLY recommend this book. If you can only afford to buy one resource, this is it. The additional content that comes on the CD is worth the price of the book alone (in my opinion). The CD comes with labs, videos, and a ton of practice questions. In my opinion, I think that I could've passed with just this book alone. I felt like this book went a little more in depth than Gibson's book, but don't get me wrong, you can still pass with Gibson's book as well. When I couldn't understand something in this book or needed a more dumbed-down explanation, I would read Gibson's book. If you are on the fence on which book to get, I would get this book and the kindle version of Gibson's book.

*Note: If you're thinking about getting CertMaster from CompTIA ... don't. The questions from this book are exactly the same as the questions on CertMaster. I would just use the $139 to throw yourself an awesome party when you pass. icon_cheers.gif

Darril Gibson: Get Certified Get Ahead (Supplement): 9/10

Another great book. There's no doubt in my mind that you can pass using this book. A disadvantage of this book is that it doesn't come with lab simulations or electronic practice tests. I highly recommend that you buy the kindle version of this book and the hard copy of the Authorized Cert Guide.

Darril Gibson Online Resources: 8/10

The online material is great, but the contents on the Authorized Cert Guide is just as good if not better. I'd honestly just save your money.

Professor Messer: 10/10

Great resource, easy to understand, free. What else do I need to say? Some of his explanations (especially the ones on cryptography) really helped bring it all together when I was reviewing. I'd definitely recommend using him when you start reviewing before the exam.

Pluralsight: 8/10

Another great resource. The videos are rich in content but I prefer professor messer over the instructor of these videos. If you already have a subscription to pluralsight then I'd suggest you give these videos a try. If you aren't a pluralsight subscriber, then I'd just recommend using professor messer. The quality and content of both video courses are equal.

CompTIA CertMaster: DON'T BUY

If you buy the Authorized Cert Guide then you don't need to buy CertMaster. The questions are extremely similar and some of them are the EXACT same. It came with the Security+ bundle, so I decided to give it a try. I didn't finish it and instead decided to use the Authorized Cert Guide practice tests.

Note Taking: I used Microsoft One Note to take notes (more like articles). I made a page for each item listed in the CompTIA objectives. Since I used so many resources, I would just add on to my existing notes from other resources. I basically created mini articles for each item.

TL;DR: Get the Authorized Cert Guide hardcover book and the Kindle version of Darril Gibson's book. Watch Professor Messer to review. Make notes on the items listed in the objectives, not on the individual chapters. Use the end of chapter summary/questions instead of taking notes on each chapter.

Comments

• ZorodzaiZorodzai Member Posts: 357 ■■■■■■■□□□
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Congrats.....excellent study methods.
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Congrats! icon_thumright.gif What's next?!
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • 4chib4ld4chib4ld Member Posts: 25 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!

Great write up of the materials available for this exam. I'm following almost the exact same method, except I am using the ExamCram rather than the Certmaster. This should be very helpful to somebody looking to take the test!

What's next on your plate? SSCP?
  • lo_____ollo_____ol Member Posts: 7 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congrats! Thanks for posting what you used. How long did it take you to study the materials?
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats!! icon_cheers.gif
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • dijosephrdijosephr Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
  • khalidsaid101khalidsaid101 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Good job. I passed it (SYO-301) going full time studying for about 3 1/2 weeks. I was mostly using Darril Gibsons book on Security+, practice exams in the book are very beneficial. I would recommend professor messer too.
  • DougDimmadomeDougDimmadome Registered Users Posts: 4 ■□□□□□□□□□
    congratulations! I will definitely use your methodologies in the future
  • CertifiedMonkeyCertifiedMonkey Member Posts: 172 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Thank you to everyone who congratulated me.
    lo_____ol wrote: »
    Congrats! Thanks for posting what you used. How long did it take you to study the materials?

It took about 1 1/2 months of full time study.

What's next? I'm planning on taking the A+ 220-802 next (already took the 801), then maybe the CCENT. I'm trying to get as many certs as I can before I start WGU's Software Development course next year. I don't plan on taking the SSCP, but I do plan to take the CISSP later down the road.
  • Todd_84Todd_84 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks for the info. I have this exam scheduled for 10/30/15. I'm using Plural Sight, Professor Messer Videos and Sec+ Study guide, Test Out/Labsim, and a book for the SY0-401.

Congrats on passing!!
  • DAVIS NGUYENDAVIS NGUYEN Member Posts: 1,472 ■■■□□□□□□□
  • 20152015 Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations!
  • ccnpninjaccnpninja Member Posts: 1,010 ■■■□□□□□□□
    What's next? I'm planning on taking the A+ 220-802 next (already took the 801), then maybe the CCENT. I'm trying to get as many certs as I can before I start WGU's Software Development course next year.

Cool and good luck! I'm sure you can pump those two out - at least!
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • davertekdavertek Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□