Default Server: UnKnown
Address: 192.168.0.1

Any Ideas?? I`m stumped.

Comments

• Options
    !30!30 Member Posts: 356
    @billybob01

icon_eek.gif

This error mean that DNS query ( request ) , to your primary DNS server ( don't you have a secondary one ) , doesen't work.

That mean that on AD , DC 192.168.0.1 ? have you configured a DNS service ?

if you have , have you autorize it ? .. it's a problem ? ..

if , do you start the DNS server on the computer 192.168.0.1 ( DC ).

Don't you have a secondary DNS server ? ..

icon_rolleyes.gif
    Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)
  • Options
    billybob01billybob01 Member Posts: 504
    Thanks..... and cut the sarcasim please icon_confused.gif We all have off days!!
  • Options
    blackzoneblackzone Member Posts: 82 ■■□□□□□□□□
    If your dns is working properly. Most likely you didn't set up the ptr record for your name server. (set reverse lookup zone.)
  • Options
    agustinchernitskyagustinchernitsky Member Posts: 299
    Like blackzone says, if that error appears just after you time nslookup, means that the IP DNS servers specified in you TCP/IP settings have no corresponding PTR records in the DNS server.

Just create the records in the reverse lookup zone and it should go away.
  • Options
    Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    Like blackzone says, if that error appears just after you time nslookup, means that the IP DNS servers specified in you TCP/IP settings have no corresponding PTR records in the DNS server.

Just create the records in the reverse lookup zone and it should go away.

Exactly. It couldn't change the DNS server IP it was using to a name.
    NSLookup will still do a proper forward query though, you can ignore the DNS server name lookup error if you don't want to set up a reverse lookup zone.

The fun part is getting this error described to you over the phone. Since you aren't seeing the whole picture, it can sound like the NSLookup is failing the intended query when all it is saying is that it couldn't pull the server name, which is only informational and not relevent to the search.