CCNA Security book 210-260 book is a dud.

HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
Just finished the book and I think its a setback from the 640-554. They removed the ACS server and expanded more on firewalls. Im my opinion, the expansion of Firewalls and IPS/IDS reads more like a product brochure from Cisco. CCP is still there but very light now. Setting up VPN's is still using the old crypto map with ACL format where here in the real world everyone has migrated to Virtual tunnels or Flex VPN. Of course you do learn that Cisco has their own antivirus engine called ClamAV and they purchased Sourcefire and rebadged it with a cool Cisco logo and now they are better. When I was done I kind of flipped the book over thinking I missed something. The step by step guides give you both the CCP/ASDM configuration along with the CLI which is kind of cool and the Router Authentication for OSPF/EIGRP/RIP/BGP is better then the CCNP Route book. So don't get to excited thinking they updated the content to be more "real" world oriented. Its just not. Thumbs down from me.
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• theodoxatheodoxa Member Posts: 1,340 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The Cisco ASA is used extensively in the real world and almost noone uses CCP. Configuring the servers (ACS, Antivirus, etc...) probably belongs in CCNP: Security.
    R&S: CCENT CCNA CCNP CCIE [ ]
    Security: CCNA [ ]
    Virtualization: VCA-DCV [ ]
  • AzimutAzimut Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I'm sorry but your thread confused me a little, maybe the book is not so real life oriented... but, will it be enough to teach you the fundamentals for VPNs and security in general? Have you done the exam?

I want to know if this book is really worth it...

By the way, I may not be an expert on networks yet, but, I realized that frame relay on the CCNA exam was a technology never used on real life and yet it is a good start or foundation for MPLS understanding.
  • HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□

The CCNA Security book is not enough to take the 210-260 exam. . The other 3 are the ones you need and they have everything you need to pass the exam. I got mine in my boot camp from a Cisco certified training center and was told the are over $400.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • southsouth Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    So, how on earth can I prepare for the exam if the other material required is only available through a boot camp?
    Total expenses for me between Airfare, Hotel, Rental car and class it will have cost me $5100 for the 210-260 Certification.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Hondabuff wrote: »
    Total expenses for me between Airfare, Hotel, Rental car and class it will have cost me $5100 for the 210-260 Certification.

Eff that. Cisco exams have always been able to be passed via self study. I hope they aren't changing that fact. What are some topics that are covered in those class manuals that aren't covered in the OCG?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    Access to Cisco's new VIRL Lab running ASA's with 9.0 code and Next Generation Firewalls and IDS/IPS's. Using Kali aka "Backtrac5" to hack into devices and protect your network. A lot of hands on vs. 640-554 was all theory. It was a little more then I was expecting.

• southsouth Member Posts: 43 ■■□□□□□□□□
    My CCNA expires in December and I am incredibly tight on funds. I wanted to recertify by taking ccna sec. This is incredibly disheartening. I read a long post on cisco's forums yesterday titled "Failed CCNA Security" about 8 pages deep about the 640-554 exam. Apparently it was revised very recently and people are failing it left and right. People saying after 6 questions in knowing they failed it... These are people with the OCG, CBT, Bryant videos, Practice tests all stating they only found the correct answers in the CCNP material. It is so bad that cisco posted in the thread because of the overwhelming complaints and left an underwhelming response. I got my CCNA and havent had an opportunity to use it... Now to think that no matter which exam I take im on a sinking boat. I worked so hard for a year and spent so much of my own money. I pursued cisco because it inspired me to test myself and commit to bettering my skillset. If it requires a boot camp, or a lab setup I cannot afford then Im at a huge disadvantage.
  • cpiocpio Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Wow! I took the exam yesterday, and knew I was in trouble after the 1st question. Fully a third of the stuff I didn't even recognize. Wound up with a 65. Previously I had passed both ICND1 & ICND2 with no problem. I had fully studied Keith Barker's book, purchased his videos, and purchased Chris Bryant's videos. Never came close. Where does one go to study the material that might be on the exam???
  • shortstop20shortstop20 Member Posts: 161 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Access to Cisco's new VIRL Lab running ASA's with 9.0 code and Next Generation Firewalls and IDS/IPS's. Using Kali aka "Backtrac5" to hack into devices and protect your network. A lot of hands on vs. 640-554 was all theory. It was a little more then I was expecting.

Who hosted the boot camp? Do you have a link to it?
    CCNA Security - 6/11/2018
    CCNP TShoot - 3/7/2018
    CCNP Route - 1/31/2018
    CCNP Switch - 12/10/2015
    CCNA R/S - 1/14/2015
    CCNA Security (IINS) Bootcamp | Cisco Training
    Boson is the one Im currently at and its on point for what you would expect on the exam. I would say that all the CCP labs were replaced with ASDM with Next Generation firewalls featuring Cisco's new FirePower line. The labs are all based off of Cisco's VIRL emulator and Kali Linux from CEH course is used extensively throughout the course. Think of a CEH course combined with the old CCNA security minus CCP.
  • ArchonArchon Member Posts: 183 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I have recently purchased this textbook so hopefully my security/network experience is going to help as well.
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Question Hondabuff, you stated you were told that the books themselves were over $400. Is there a way to purchase just the books without shelling out the $3k for the bootcamp? From what I've seen the books are not available anywhere separately, and traditionally vendors/trainers refuse to sell books separately as that's how they get people to foot $3k for the bootcamp.
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework
    The Books UPC's are below. I have no idea if you can purchase them independent of the course. I will be selling mine after the course is done.

099751365452 CSIINSGv ol2 Student Guide Version 3 Volume 1
    099751365445 CSIINS30SGv ol1 Lab Guide V3
    099751365438 CSIINS30LAB Student Guide Version 3 Volume 2
  • NetworkNewbNetworkNewb Member Posts: 3,298 ■■■■■■■■■□

The CCNA Security book is not enough to take the 210-260 exam. . The other 3 are the ones you need and they have everything you need to pass the exam. I got mine in my boot camp from a Cisco certified training center and was told the are over $400.

So did you actually take the 210-260 exam already?
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The Books UPC's are below. I have no idea if you can purchase them independent of the course. I will be selling mine after the course is done.

099751365452 CSIINSGv ol2 Student Guide Version 3 Volume 1
    099751365445 CSIINS30SGv ol1 Lab Guide V3
    099751365438 CSIINS30LAB Student Guide Version 3 Volume 2

Would you mind unbinding and scanning. Cough cough.

Just kidding! Google search with the UPC brings up nothing though
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • mackenzaemackenzae Member Posts: 77 ■□□□□□□□□□
    JoJoCal19 wrote: »
    Eff that. Cisco exams have always been able to be passed via self study. I hope they aren't changing that fact. What are some topics that are covered in those class manuals that aren't covered in the OCG?

I find it very hard to believe that there are topics that the OCG doesn't mention that are on the exam. I can believe that there might be something that is vaguely mentioned in the OCG and you need additional resources to study that topic. But I'm pretty sure Cisco doesn't green light a book that is "completely" missing topics. Again i said missing.. not fully covered in detail.
    mackenzae wrote: »
    I find it very hard to believe that there are topics that the OCG doesn't mention that are on the exam. I can believe that there might be something that is vaguely mentioned in the OCG and you need additional resources to study that topic. But I'm pretty sure Cisco doesn't green light a book that is "completely" missing topics. Again i said missing.. not fully covered in detail.

This is only my opinion, just because it is vaguely mentioned in the OCG doesn't it make it fair play to ask about something that has to be researched "outside" of the Cisco world. I had a question that is definitely not in the OCG and I knew it only cause I passed the 98-365 Microsoft Exam and was familiar with the technology. I even double checked the book once I got out of the test center to verify. Nope, Not in there. I would say if you are a seasoned IT person you can figure out some of the questions and check the best one. Ranking it on a scale of 1 out of 10 with 10 being the CCNP Route exam I would rank 210-260 a solid 5. There were a lot of things I remembered from Security+ that allowed me to pick the best answer. I researched the OCG after the exam looking for the topics and did find 90% of them. They were mentioned but no way can you derive the level of question asked just by barley talking about it in one sentence of the OCG.
  • creamy_stewcreamy_stew Member Posts: 406 ■■■□□□□□□□
    CCNA Security (IINS) Bootcamp | Cisco Training
    Boson is the one Im currently at and its on point for what you would expect on the exam. I would say that all the CCP labs were replaced with ASDM with Next Generation firewalls featuring Cisco's new FirePower line. The labs are all based off of Cisco's VIRL emulator and Kali Linux from CEH course is used extensively throughout the course. Think of a CEH course combined with the old CCNA security minus CCP.

That. Sounds. Pretty. AWESOME!
    Itchy... Tasty!
    [X] DCICN
    [X] IINS

[ ] CCDA
    [ ] DCICT
  • aderonaderon Member Posts: 404 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Might be worth checking this out. Not sure if it's just a digital copy of the book or not, but it's got an evaluation trial so probably worth checking out. As soon as my password reset (-_-) I'll give it a go.

https://learningnetworkstore.cisco.com/on-demand-e-learning/implementing-cisco-network-security-iins-v3-0-elt-iins-v3-0-019451
    2019 Certification/Degree Goals: AWS CSA Renewal (In Progress), M.S. Cybersecurity (In Progress), CCNA R&S Renewal (Not Started)
    Just an fyi, I listed the books on eBay for a 3 day auction.
    Just an fyi, I listed the books on eBay for a 3 day auction.

Link? I can't find it at all.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • stylezunknownstylezunknown Member Posts: 46 ■■■□□□□□□□
    aderon wrote: »
    Might be worth checking this out. Not sure if it's just a digital copy of the book or not, but it's got an evaluation trial so probably worth checking out. As soon as my password reset (-_-) I'll give it a go.

https://learningnetworkstore.cisco.com/on-demand-e-learning/implementing-cisco-network-security-iins-v3-0-elt-iins-v3-0-019451

Has anyone here ever taken one of these cisco e learning courses? Was it enough to pass?
    That learning course looks exactly like my Boson Course I just took minus the Discovery/Challenge labs. . $350 is a lot cheaper then the $5k I just spent on the Boson boot camp. We did get to play with the new CCNP Lab modules at the boot camp and they were amazing but the 210-260 labs where good but no where near the CCNP track ones.
  • bigbenhotnessbigbenhotness Member Posts: 25 ■□□□□□□□□□

Already on it. This is my last class to graduate WGU
    When I did the trial of the Cisco ecourse still mentioned the 640 edition. Which is disheartening.

Would anyone be interested in scanning the lab books and splitting the cost or is that against the rules?

TacoRocket wrote: »
    When I did the trial of the Cisco ecourse still mentioned the 640 edition. Which is disheartening.

Would anyone be interested in scanning the lab books and splitting the cost or is that against the rules?
    would be nice lol
    aderon wrote: »

Going to check this out. Hopefully it has more materials than the book.
    so I scrolled through it and it has mainly text, at least the first 2 chapters. Has little challenges and mini quizzes too. Its $350 so not sure if I will shell out cash for it, only if it is worth it. Hopefully more people will respond to this.