Funnest way to learn Linux?

Hi guys,

With my new job, I'll need to know Linux. I don't need to be a professional, but I need to know enough. We have Configuration Management software (Puppet) that I'll be working on. Though, it seems super boring to me. I need a fun, solid way to learn it. Can anyone recommend anything?

Comments

• JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Do you need to learn the Puppet CM tool or the Linux Operating System? They are not the same thing. Maybe it's the command line environment that you find boring.

When I learn a new tool, I take notes on it as if I am writing a blog article on how to teach other how to use the tool. I find this stimulates me to try out all of the functions and features of the tool.
  • systemstechsystemstech Member Posts: 120
    I need to know both. I meant more or less is there a fun place to learn Linux? Any specific site or anything?
  • TechGuru80TechGuru80 Member Posts: 1,539 ■■■■■■□□□□
    The only real way to learn is by doing. Try to look for exercise books on Linux and go through them. Another way is to build a lab at home. There isn't really a "fun" way to learn like building games in programming...just practical learning so if you don't like it, it is just how it will be.
  • iBrokeITiBrokeIT Member Posts: 1,318 ■■■■■■■■■□
    linuxacademy.com is a great resource. It has CBT videos, labs, exercises and quizzes to test your knowledge as you go.

I would also pick up a raspberry pi and try setting it up for a few projects.
    2019: GPEN | GCFE | GXPN | GICSP | CySA+ 
    2020: GCIP | GCIA 
    2021: GRID | GDSA | Pentest+ 
    2022: GMON | GDAT
    2023: GREM  | GSE | GCFA

WGU BS IT-NA | SANS Grad Cert: PT&EH | SANS Grad Cert: ICS Security | SANS Grad Cert: Cyber Defense Ops SANS Grad Cert: Incident Response
  • JDMurrayJDMurray Admin Posts: 13,023 Admin
    Whatever you do, don't try learning exercises on production systems. Download a Linux distro, run it on an old computer you have, and learn/play with that.
  • brownwrapbrownwrap Member Posts: 549
    JDMurray wrote: »
    Whatever you do, don't try learning exercises on production systems. Download a Linux distro, run it on an old computer you have, and learn/play with that.

Or shouldn't have it.
  • MutataMutata Member Posts: 176
    I picked up puppet like this : What would you normally do to "productionize" a system or deploy a new web application. You can't touch the system - you must do it all through puppet.
  • jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Personally, learning a install Linux from the ground up will serve you well. I recommend Arch Linux and following the wiki pages. It truly shows you how to build a Linux environment for your tastes. I suggest you install it using virtualization software.
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I personally found this book to speed up my learning curve:
    http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0636920023029.doc

i recommend getting a Linux distro installing and playing with.
    suse Linux is one good choice, there are many flavored to choose from.

Linux is the Kernel. The distro is the implementation built on Linux
  • TWXTWX Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    If you really want to learn Linux first and foremost, and not some particular distribution's way of doing things, I'd start with Slackware. A lot more extracting tarballs and compiling from source, plus a lot less new-fangled stuff handled for you. If I remember right it uses System-V init, so it's probably most-similar to UNIX, and all of those old dusty UNIX in a Nutshell books for a dollar at the used bookstore will apply.

If you are learning in order to do it at work, and aren't concerned about basic principles, choose whatever distro they're using and use that at home.

I started with Slackware with the 2.0.0 kernel, went through Redhat, SuSE, before ending up on Debian simply due to the ease of dpkg for dependency control. I'm getting a little pissed off by systemd though, so I might have to make a change again unfortunately. Annoying since I've been running predominately Debian for about fifteen years...

Oh, and to add, if you really want to learn, stop using anything else (Windows, MacOS, etc) cold-turkey. I went through an era when I had only Linux, and I still run Linux predominately at work and on important systems at home. There's still Windows or MacOS around, but I definitely prefer my Linux.