MALC case study

Le ChiffreLe Chiffre Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hello all

I am trying to sit the MALC exam and I see on the syllabus that the exam is a "Ten (10) multiple choice, gradient-scored questions based upon a single case study, issued in advance"

Does anybody know what precisely mean "issued in advance"?

Thank you

Comments

• Claire AgutterClaire Agutter Member Posts: 772 ■■■■■■■□□□
    Hi Le Chiffre,

The case study should be given to you by your training provider during your course so you have time to get familiar with it before the exam. Claire
  • Le ChiffreLe Chiffre Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thank you very much Claire.
    I do have two of them, given me by the training provider, named "ITIL MALC Case Study 1 v1.1.pdf" and "ITIL MALC Case Study 1 v1.0.pdf"
    I mean, are they always the same for all exams and for all the training providers?
    On the intermediate certifications, che scenarios on which I did the exams were brand new and not the ones I used during the course.

Thank you very much again
    Hi Le Chiffre, it's always the same for all exams and all training providers. We're given the case study when so we can base our MALC course material around it and help our delegates to prepare. You might get a bit more information in the question that is similar to the scenarios you get in the other ITIL intermediate exams, but the case study will provide the detailed background.

Good luck with MALC, it's a tough exam and being familiar with the case study will certainly help icon_smile.gif
    Thank you Claire for your advice.
    I passed the exam today with a score of 92%. I am very happy with the result - thank you again.
    icon_smile.gif
    That's a brilliant result, congratulations! A great way to end 2013 icon_smile.gif
    Thanks Claire and Happy New Year!
  • VaidyVaidy Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi

Happy New Year!!

I am Vaidy, new member in the forum. I am about to take my MALC exam in 2 weeks. I have one case study with me (V1.1) and would be great if someone can share the other case study. My course provider has given only one.

Regards,
    Vaidy
    Vaidy wrote: »
    Hi

Happy New Year!!

I am Vaidy, new member in the forum. I am about to take my MALC exam in 2 weeks. I have one case study with me (V1.1) and would be great if someone can share the other case study. My course provider has given only one.

Regards,
    Vaidy
    That's the one you need. Version 1.0 is almost identical - I was not able to find any differencies at all.
    Good luck on the exam
  • VaidyVaidy Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi
    Thanks for the info.

Vaidy
  • shbshb Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I've been doing ITIL training via online and am now planning on completing the MALC exam in the next week. My training provider has given me a single case study. It looks like the official ITIL Case Study 1, version 1.1. It describes a banking company over a 7 page document finishing in an organisation chart.

Is this the same case study used in the exam?

Thanks in advance.
    Hi shb,

The case study you're given by your training provider is the one that you'll use in the exam (you'll get access to a clean copy). Make sure you know it inside out and carry out your own assessment of their current state of ITSM maturity and where they might need to improve.

Good luck!

Claire
  • shbshb Member Posts: 8 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Thanks Claire.
  • adramelecadramelec Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations Le Chiffre !!!
    Can you give me some tips for the exam?? I take the exam en march.

Thanks
    Hi Aldramec. Yes, I will try to give you some advice

Firstly, I think MALC is simplier than other intermediate exams such as PPO or RCV.

This is due to the fact that testing and validation of knowledge take place at Bloom's taxonomy level 4 (analysing) and level 5 (evaluating) only. This means that you don't need to remember all processes, functions, their interfaces or CSFs and challenges but understand the core of ITIL philosophy - "think ITIL" I must say.

And, if you have passed intermediate exams so you can sit for MALC, this means that you to MUST think ITIL. At least for me I think this was the main reason I did not found it extremely difficult.

On the other hand, you have to go through the case study questions a lot of times and try to remember very well the case study itself. I used as well a case study mind map which I think helped me a lot.
    Every time I tried to answer to a specific question, I used to give 5, 3, 1, and 0 marks to the four possible answers. Then I read the rationales, making an effort to understand the reason why a certain amount of marks was given to that specific answer. I did this over and over again for four or five times.

Hope this helps
  • adramelecadramelec Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Le Chiffre wrote: »
    Hi Aldramec. Yes, I will try to give you some adviceFirstly, I think MALC is simplier than other intermediate exams such as PPO or RCV.This is due to the fact that testing and validation of knowledge take place at Bloom's taxonomy level 4 (analysing) and level 5 (evaluating) only. This means that you don't need to remember all processes, functions, their interfaces or CSFs and challenges but understand the core of ITIL philosophy - "think ITIL" I must say.And, if you have passed intermediate exams so you can sit for MALC, this means that you to MUST think ITIL. At least for me I think this was the main reason I did not found it extremely difficult.On the other hand, you have to go through the case study questions a lot of times and try to remember very well the case study itself. I used as well a case study mind map which I think helped me a lot. Every time I tried to answer to a specific question, I used to give 5, 3, 1, and 0 marks to the four possible answers. Then I read the rationales, making an effort to understand the reason why a certain amount of marks was given to that specific answer. I did this over and over again for four or five times.Hope this helps
    Thanks Le Chiffre!!!!Saturday I passed MALC Exam!!! Sincerely I waited a harder exam but I think was less complicated than I thought.I think the most complicated question for me was the KPI's question...
    Congratulations! MALC is a tough exam so you must have studied hard
    Congrats adramalec!!!
  • AabedKhalifaAabedKhalifa Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I am planning to have the MALC within next month , I have 2 questions since you already passed the exam :
    1- Does the case study I had at the preparation course come to the exam litterly the same ? I know that questions will be different but at least the main scenario is the same ?
    2- I had my preparation course more than 6 months ago , how can I make sure that the case study is the same ? Is it illegal to send at least part of it here and make sure that it is the same ?
    Thanks
  • smiglosmiglo Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hi guys.

Can anybody send their MALC exam that they took? I have only Case Study 1, version 1.1. I'm hoping to get any other.

Thank You,
    Michał
  • doohdooh Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Congratulations! MALC is a tough exam so you must have studied hard

What are the key words to look for in the MALC exam questions
  • doohdooh Registered Users Posts: 3 ■□□□□□□□□□
    What are the key words to look for in the MALC exam questions
  • genxfinalrevisiongenxfinalrevision Member Posts: 37 ■■□□□□□□□□
    There are no keywords, this exam is demanding...even the distractor questions seem alright at first read, lol. You gotta know the material. I went through the sample questions for the MALC Bank exam and was hitting all 5s but in the exam (this morning) I was sweating it out before hitting that End Exam button.