Options

My CEH journy began!

binarysoulbinarysoul Member Posts: 993
After getting some clarification for EC-Council, I've started to prep for CEH. My plan is really simple: Reading and doing tonnes of hands-on.

1. Currently reading Sybex: CEH: Certified Ethical Hacker Version 8 Study Guide - Sean-Philip Oriyano. I really like this as the language is really simple. I've skipped over first 5 chapter as most of the stuff I already know.

2. Watching video training is a cold turkey for me. I tried one from VTC and found out it doesn't help (might as well do hands-on myself than watch someone else do it in a video). But down the road, I might watch some for review.

3. Starting to do lots of hands-on 'cause I'm the kind of 'learning by doing' kind of guy.

Simple journey, but hope it will work :)

Comments

• Options
    Forgot to mention I will also sign up for EC-Council online training.
  • Options
    cehv9cehv9 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Please go through various other posts regarding the exam. You will most likely be giving v9 of the exam and the book that you have is for v8. Wait for books covering v9 to come out in the market, so you can prepare better.
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    cehv9 wrote: »
    Please go through various other posts regarding the exam. You will most likely be giving v9 of the exam and the book that you have is for v8. Wait for books covering v9 to come out in the market, so you can prepare better.

^ I could not agree more
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    As they say, V9 is on its way. Based on the changed from v6 to v8, I don't think you should be too worried that you have already started reading the v8 book. Most of it will still be relevant, I expect. CEH doesn't have the kind of depth that means it's all irrelevant after a year or two. The general principles still stand.

Learning by doing is a great idea. Offensive Security have a free Metasploit course, if you want to get into that. There's also some good stuff on nmap from sectools. In fact, sectools.org isn't a bad site generally for finding tools.

It's also worth reading other pen test books. Gray Hat Hacking - the Ethical Hackers Handbook, the Hacking Exposed series, and Hacking: the art of exploitation. All good.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • Options
    TK1799_stTK1799_st Member Posts: 111
    Make a copy on Word of the Objectives - as you go through the learning from various sources - copy down the important point of each topic, attack, virus, Trojan, etc...use those to refresh your memory and skill set to know where items are.

I took each Chapter of the book and read it until I understood everything while copying my notes over to the Objective list - then went back once I was through the book and filled in with the Official CEHv8 training to note any specifics.

Just a thought to have something like a quick study guide to go through that meet the Objectives head on...icon_thumright.gif
  • Options
    Appreciate all response and will use them as I go along.

About V8. vs. V9, I recently contacted the EC-Council and in so many words, basically they said that they don't change exam when training content changes as the core aspects of training don't change.

Honestly, I'm not too worried about exam versions as when you think about it, fundamental security and ethical hacking don't change dramatically. And I think this may be in line with EC-Council and how it views its training/exam.

P.S. For me security is like a refuge! Honestly, after years of doing all sorts of IT jobs, security is very motivating for me and keeps me interested. So don't mind learning and exploring :)
  • Options
    OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    I am guessing that you've read the other thread about v8 and v9. It probably will all be sorted before you sit the exam, but certainly I wouldn't be doing the exam until there seems to be a resolution.

It might be nothing, because the official line from EC-Council is as you say. But it's still just a few days in, so worth waiting.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM