Army e-Learning with Skillsoft & Books 24x7 - *** FREE TRAINING & BOOKS ***

Network_EngineerNetwork_Engineer Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
For those of you still serving in the Army, you have access to free training and books.

Logon to AKO --> My Education --> Army e-Learning

Logon to Army e-Learning --> Catalog --> IT Professional Certifications or Cisco or Microsoft, etc...

Almost every certification you can think of is listed. Pick your cert and section and then launch. A multimedia interactive training module is launched.

Logon to Army e-Learning --> Books 24x7 --> Search --> CISSP or Cisco, etc...

There are tons of books available you can read online for free. I started on my CISSP and every book recommended on our forum is available. You can save the books under account for quick reference. I plan on using this until I retire from the Guard.

Comments

• TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    The Army has even better video training (that if taken will cover the cost of the exam) at fedvte.usalearning.gov

Use your Army email to sign up.
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • Network_EngineerNetwork_Engineer Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Thanks! I just logged on started viewing the first CISSP video. I love free training!
  • Network_EngineerNetwork_Engineer Member Posts: 142 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I was going to purchase the CISSP study guide 2nd Edition by Eric Conrad next week, but it is available on Books 24x7. Definitely saved some cash from this resource.
  • TacoRocketTacoRocket Member Posts: 497 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I like the DoD certificates because when you show them to employers they love them just as much as civilian ones!
    These articles and posts are my own opinion and do not reflect the view of my employer.

Website gave me error for signature, check out what I've done here: https://pwningroot.com/
  • BlackBeretBlackBeret Member Posts: 683 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Don't forget about the DoD MWR Library with access to Safari books (and a lot of other sites) for anyone with a .mil address.
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    TacoRocket wrote: »
    I like the DoD certificates because when you show them to employers they love them just as much as civilian ones!

Really?

This surprises me. What kind of feedback have you gotten from employers when you put them on your resume or talk about them in an interview? Please talk about your experience because I did the Linux Security one and it was very basic.

I also just did all of the LPI Linux training under Skillport, which covered Linux and Token Ring, configuring pcmcia cards under Linux along with modems using PPP. What???!??!

Yes FedVTE has some good content, however I find it hard to believe that employers would put much interest or value into them.

In my mind, its just more busy work to check the box.
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • SteveLordSteveLord Member Posts: 1,717
    Believe it or not, this has been around for roughly the last decade. :P

Good to see it posted here and others using it. I used it back in the day a little myself. Now that I am separated, I would need to get someone to sponsor me to retain my AKO access.
    WGU B.S.IT - 9/1/2015 >>> ???
  • Ede890Ede890 Member Posts: 17 ■□□□□□□□□□
    You can access it if you're a veteran. I just received my admittance e-mail. icon_cheers.gif
  • bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    We Air Force guys have our own E-learning portal with all this stuff , too. DoD has its perks sometimes!
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • lunarianlunarian Member Posts: 20 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wish I had access to this! My Brother-in-law is in the Air Force but is currently not reachable in an undisclosed location and probably won't be heard from for a couple years. I would love to have access to this as I go through my courses. Very nice perk for the people that protect our nation!
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    The VA offers it too. I've never looked into if contractors get it as well because I'm already using my account I get through school.