Options

Cisco CLi at night to Dell CLi at Day...

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
Boy so I'm bascially in Cisco CLi at night and then Dell CLi by day.

Today no matter how much I looked at a web-managed switch took a little while that everyone but Cisco uses "untagged, tagged, no tagged" and it makes your head spin if your a Cisco-speaking person...

a few older switches here have no CLI! - but some do, so that was interesting....

Once I got in the web CLi wow that was interesting wrapping my head around those terms in a pinch, lol....

All I wanted to do was this in the 6 switch 'super-stack':

interface range gigabitethernet 6/0/(44-46)
channel-group 2 mode on
spanning-tree portfast
flowcontrol on
exit

interface port-channel 2
switchport mode trunk
switchport trunk allowed vlan 10,20,30,40,50,60,70,80,90,110,160,180

exit

But now I got it working, just a small rant, I'm sure a ton of you work with inter-vendor hardware too...

Comments

• Options
    --chris----chris-- Member Posts: 1,518 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I have worked on a few powerconnects, they are a bit awkward...sh run, sh trunk, sh int, sh mac-add...those all work, but once you get into configuring the command structure really gets weird (and changes from switch to switch quite a bit).

There is also a bug on one of them (I have no idea what firmware rev #) that wont take a password change unless powercycle the switch.
  • Options
    gc8dc95gc8dc95 Member Posts: 206 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I work with a lot of different switches with different clients. HP, HP-3com, Dell, Cisco, Brocade, Foundry, etc., but I cannot stand the GUI interface for any of them. If it doesnt have a CLI, I am reluctant to even touch it.

At first, it was quite challenging because I came from a 100% Cisco environment, but I have learned to transition quickly from one to another.
  • Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    Ya I feel you guys, I know Dell, HP, Netgear and now Cisco CLI and once I see GUI I'm lost...I feel like I have less control, I like seeing what's underneath...

I almost want to just replace all the older GUI switches but that's a fiscal issue...
  • Options
    J_86J_86 Member Posts: 262 ■■□□□□□□□□
    [FONT=arial, sans-serif]I feel your pain. When I first got into networking I had only touched Cisco gear and then I started working with HP, ComWare, and Dell at a new job. Tagged and untagged confused me so much at first, now I think Cisco is the weird one with access and trunk ports [/FONT]:)