Time to hit the PMP Hard. Any Good Advice?

As with any exam, I am attacking this as though I know nothing and looking for constructive or useful advice. Going to take the exam in 6 weeks and already starting the application process. I passed P+ and ITIL about 2 months ago and passed the CISSP exam with two weeks worth of studying. I have the following materials:

PMBOK, 5th ed (digital and physical)
PMP Head Start/First?, 3rd (digital and physical)
Rita, 8th ed (digital)

PMP CBT Nugget Videos
PMP Audio Files (forgot company, but like 40 diff files)

What do you recommend is the best way to go about this. With the CISSP, I did the following
1. watch cbt nuggets
2. read simple guide
3. read insane guide and watched video

Should I do this the same way or what do you recommend? Any advice and focus will be great. Such as what are areas that should be studied harder than others (even though everything is important)
Doctoral Candidate - BA (33/60hrs) ~ MBA/Project Management ~ BA/Business-IT

Comments

• zxbanezxbane Member Posts: 740 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As you know I am preparing for the PMP myself as well. From what I have read on another popular PMP forum a general recommended path seems to be Head First > Rita > PMBOK. I'm also using PMPrepcast but I am sure CBTNuggets is good as well and I am using quiz simulators from pmstudy.
  • N2ITN2IT Inactive Imported Users Posts: 7,483 ■■■■■■■■■■
    Flash Cards are awesome for PMI exams. ITTO's

Whole lot of memorization.
  • EmptypPocketsEmptypPockets Registered Users Posts: 1 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I just stumbled across the site today and I'm considering the PMP myself. I'm interested to see what others are using to prepare. Has anyone attended one of the PMP Boot Camps?
  • datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    PM Prepcast and ITTO Explorer helped me.
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• riyanriyan Member Posts: 161 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Can you share link for ITTO Explorer? Much appreciated...
  • akbar.azwirakbar.azwir Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hats off with your resources, man. Anyway, I might suggest that you follow the same patterns with the CISSP since it works with you well, maybe you might want to combine reading the head first and watching the CBT, and I gotta tell you, CISSP is wayyyy more difficult than PMP. Good luck.

Be sure to check out free PERT Calculator and Earned Value Calculator at my site.
  • datacombossdatacomboss Member Posts: 304 ■■■□□□□□□□
    "If I were to say, 'God, why me?' about the bad things, then I should have said, 'God, why me?' about the good things that happened in my life."

Arthur Ashe

• eSenpaieSenpai Member Posts: 65 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Hats off with your resources, man. Anyway, I might suggest that you follow the same patterns with the CISSP since it works with you well, maybe you might want to combine reading the head first and watching the CBT, and I gotta tell you, CISSP is wayyyy more difficult than PMP. Good luck.

Be sure to check out free PERT Calculator and Earned Value Calculator at my site.

Boo...Boo this man. Boo! icon_lol.gif

For my money the PMP was wayyyy harder. The CISSP was absolute cake compared to it....for me. At the end of the day, I think it boils down to the person taking the test and possibly the luck of the draw with the question bank.

For ITTO's, the best advice that I fought at first was to simply learn why/what went into each one. Simply memorizing the ITTO's will only get you through a very small percentage of the questions whereas understanding them will help you in a whole lot more. Depending on which bank of questions you get memorization may or may not get you through.

I did find accessing the Prepcast flashcards to be useful when sitting around waiting to do other things. I would pull them up at the Dr, Dealer, stuck in traffic, long grocery store line...wherever.

Best of luck!
    Working On:
    2018 - ITIL(SO, SS, SD, ST, CSI), Linux
    2019 - ITIL MALC, AWS Architect, CCSP, LPI-2, TOGAF
  • akbar.azwirakbar.azwir Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    eSenpai wrote: »
    Boo...Boo this man. Boo! icon_lol.gif

For my money the PMP was wayyyy harder. The CISSP was absolute cake compared to it....for me. At the end of the day, I think it boils down to the person taking the test and possibly the luck of the draw with the question bank.

For ITTO's, the best advice that I fought at first was to simply learn why/what went into each one. Simply memorizing the ITTO's will only get you through a very small percentage of the questions whereas understanding them will help you in a whole lot more. Depending on which bank of questions you get memorization may or may not get you through.

I did find accessing the Prepcast flashcards to be useful when sitting around waiting to do other things. I would pull them up at the Dr, Dealer, stuck in traffic, long grocery store line...wherever.

Best of luck!

Hahaha, one of the biggest challenge for CISSP is endurance. 6 hours for 250 questions will certainly numb your brain...at least for me :)
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I recently came across a PMP course from udemy.com that looks pretty solid.
    check out Joseph Phillips.
    the course contains videos lectures, PDFs to help let you know key things, practice exams to test knowledge of each lecture, some games. Flash cards too. And a discussion forum with instructor and other students.
    so far IMO, the value of this method of instruction is much better than cbtnuggets. I have a subscription so I have seen both courses. I will leverage both video sources as I am not fast tracking this.
    course comes with couple hundred pages of supp, material. A valuable 10 page memory ****.

note: if you look for coupons you can get course for possibly as little as $15. To me that is a heck of a deal.
    i would have been okay paying full price for this course. No 90 day subscription as it gives lifetime access.
    normal price was about $189.

A nice feature is download to iPad the videos.

there is no ongoing subscription fee like cbtnuggets.
    i bought both of his PMP and capm courses. $30 was great deal.
  • twodogs62twodogs62 Member Posts: 393 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Did OP post how his studies and test go?
  • LollyBagginsLollyBaggins Member Posts: 14 ■■■□□□□□□□
    On same boat as OP, passed the CISSP recently and ready to hit the PMP hard. Any advice? Additionally, do I need to factor/consider in the "change" it looks like a regular domain restructuring like the CISSP but want to be positive before I begin to study and non-relevant material.
  • Nikhil_52Nikhil_52 Registered Users Posts: 2 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Hello guys,I am looking for a PMP study partner.I have also put my study schedule and profile on StudyPal.co . I've also signed up for the PMP webinar in case you guys are planning to go for it.Just respond in case you are interested.