Options

VM Video Settings

DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
Hey guys,

Been fiddling around with VM video memory on some of our servers and I've gone from the default amount to 64 MB's and I'm actually kind of surprised by the end results, the memory allocation in windows is actually lower even with the VMXNET3 driver being used O.o....

Anyone here ever fiddle with the video memory and/or go above the default amount and see a performance jump?

Here is a Terminal Server's screenshot, right now it has no users on it since it's been taken out of the farm but for a fully updated servers with Adobe CS6 on it, for it to only be at this amount of memory is shocking. I mean I do have all of the registry and service tweaked but the video memory changed made it drop another 200 MB's.

Kind of intrigued what performance a VMware cluster could have if a host had a dedicated GPU in the box instead of emulated.

lol, now that windows has loaded fully, 25 minutes later it's even lower... the memory bar won't go any lower!!!

I should patent these memory saving tweaks icon_razz.gif

Comments

• Options
    elToritoelTorito Member Posts: 102
    Now that physical servers with 512 GB-1 TB memory are becoming more and more common (and affordable), I've personally stopped tweaking with VM's trying to squeeze every last MB out of them. I know this isn't the sysadmin's way, but when resources are abundant, you tend to get lazy icon_smile.gif
    WIP: CISSP, MCSE Server Infrastructure
    Casual reading:
    CCNP, Windows Sysinternals Administrator's Reference, Network Warrior

• Options
    DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    elTorito wrote: »
    Now that physical servers with 512 GB-1 TB memory are becoming more and more common (and affordable), I've personally stopped tweaking with VM's trying to squeeze every last MB out of them. I know this isn't the sysadmin's way, but when resources are abundant, you tend to get lazy icon_smile.gif

that's me, I got bored so i started screwing with things...
  • Options
    jibbajabbajibbajabba Member Posts: 4,317 ■■■■■■■■□□
    All the way back to VI3 I remember changing the video ram to make the graphical installed workable. In fact, in ESXi 4 and early version if 5, the VMware Tools didn't even update the graphics drivers. It installed then to the filesystem, but you still had to change the driver of the virtual hardware. Changing the GPU memory is something I still do on auto pilot.
    My own knowledge base made public: http://open902.com :p