I have trouble passing the Security Plus exam..

kcos0320kcos0320 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
The first time I did much better than I did the 2nd time. I need to pass a third time, I need help with my next study methods so should I use testout training, take a security plus training course in 5 days or what?

So far I have used the following
Certmaster not helpful
Darrell Gibson book
Professor messors but very boring and I lost focus on watching it.

What I need is something that will help me learn by labs, the material to help me pass the exam.

I am open to all suggestions..

Comments

• PeterHandsPeterHands Member Posts: 83 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Use IT Certification Practice Tests and Exams | Online Courses | MeasureUp

Dont take exam till your hitting 70-80% regularly!
    ISC2 CISSP, EC-Council CEH, CompTia Security+
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Have you been barely failing or what? If you're pretty close, just review your weak domains and that should put you over the top. If it's a big gap, it might be time to step back and just review the main principles regarding 'the triad' and authentication, authorization and nonrepudiation. Sec+ is an entry-level cert but in a pretty advanced topic - it takes quite a while to ingest and digest the material. Just keep working hard and I'm sure you'll get it! Good luck!
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Practice, read, Practice. MeasureUp is great as well as Gibson's online 'blog'.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • TallDude7TallDude7 Member Posts: 61 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Do you fully comprehend the questions? A lot of people fail because they don't look for the key words in the questions.
  • ChinookChinook Member Posts: 206
    CBT Nuggets training will definitely help. He's a great & thorough trainer.
  • hannismhannism Member Posts: 112
    When I took the Security+, I used the Sybex book which I didn't think was good.

Darril Gibson and Glenn E. Clark were the best authors of Security+ material, in my humble opinion. I preferred Glenn E. Clark's book, but it has way more than you need to know to pass the test.

I agree, I couldn't watch Professor Messer. After getting to his 17th out of 140 videos, I was like there's no way I can watch them all. God bless him for putting out a free product, but he does like to talk too much about the topics.

If you need videos, then go with CBT Nuggets.

Best of luck, you can do it.
    Obtained: CompTIA Linux+ [X] CompTIA Security + [X] CCENT [X] CCNA: Routing and Switching [X] CCNA: Security [X] CCNA: Wireless [X] Linux Server Professional (LPIC-1) [X] SUSE Certified Linux Administrator [X]
    Currently studying: Red Hat Certified System Administrator > Red Hat Certified System Engineer > CISSP
  • kcos0320kcos0320 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Sometimes I know the answer but I choose the wrong answer.
  • kcos0320kcos0320 Member Posts: 32 ■■□□□□□□□□
    Has anyone used Professor Messer Course notes and any suggestions toward them? I will use the measure up test prep before I know the material 80%.
  • trevm999trevm999 Member Posts: 9 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I found the Professor Messer videos to be great. I grabbed the study notes too and they were a good way to keep everything straight, but if you take notes during the videos that would be just as good. I also did some labs, but I didn't find them mentally engaging (not much different than just seeing an example being done). The only other resource I used was practice exams.
  • fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    You should just prep with as many sources as possible. Try to get 95%+ on the practice exam since they aren't a true indicator of real exam questions.

Be confident and use the hints they provide in questions as your guiding light. Choosing the wrong answer is because of nerves - you are unsure because you need to brush up on that domain!

Good luck!
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • CertifiedMonkeyCertifiedMonkey Member Posts: 172 ■■□□□□□□□□
    kcos0320 wrote: »
    Sometimes I know the answer but I choose the wrong answer.

Just keep taking practice tests, but make sure that the tests that you are taking explains why each answer is right or why each answer is wrong. Look up anything that you don't understand/ wasn't explained well.