Crest CPSA (Security Analyst)

si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
I've been looking at Crest's cert for security analysts: http://www.crest-approved.org/wp-content/uploads/Technical_Syllabus-CREST_Practitioner-v1-1.pdf

It looks incredible. For the life of me, I cannot find out exactly how to do it. There doesn't seem to be any books to study from. They give the cost of the examination, but nothing about how you get ready for the exam. Does anyone know? Do you have to book training with them like the CEH or can you self-study?

Comments

• wd40wd40 Member Posts: 1,017 ■■■■□□□□□□
    This is the first time that I hear about this.

But there is a list at the end of the Page (Recommended Preparation Material).
    CREST Practitioner Security Analyst | CREST - Ethical Security Testers
  • si20si20 Member Posts: 543 ■■■■■□□□□□
    I personally don't feel comfortable reading all of those books and going into an exam like that. I wish they had their own study material.
  • ArlixArlix Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I wouldn't go by the recommended prep material (although some of those books are great!) because it uses the same list across multiple exams on the site...

I too am looking for more info on the exam :) I have seen a couple of posts kicking around about peoples experiences but nothing of too much detail yet.
  • wayne_wonderwayne_wonder Member Posts: 215 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I've been looking at those today myself! Its very vague and so is the tiger scheme!

Wht i have noted is that if you take the oscp you can substitute that for the pen testing exam/cert
  • dave0212dave0212 Member Posts: 287
    Unfortunately this is as good as it gets, they expect you to utilise your experience and knowledge to achieve the accreditation. I know a few people that have taken the exams and the practical is the challenge due to such limited timings.

I am looking to take the CRT in the new year so know how you feel, I have done a number of the courses though so will be reviewing all my notes once I complete the Wireless course shortly
    This week I have achieved unprecedented levels of unverifiable productivity

Working on
    Learning Python and OSCP
    Seems like the OSCP is the better option 1st then take it afterwards? Im juat going to wrap up my sscp then start leaning towards that
  • 636-555-3226636-555-3226 Member Posts: 975 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Never heard of it. Mind letting us know why you're seeking a relatively unknown certification instead of the usual tried-and-true everybody knows about already?
    Never heard of it. Mind letting us know why you're seeking a relatively unknown certification instead of the usual tried-and-true everybody knows about already?

Its bigger than the OSCP and arguably the CEH in the UK thats why its what they government pretty much ask for and every pen testing job in the uk
  • Mike7Mike7 Member Posts: 1,107 ■■■■□□□□□□
    As per the about page, this is developed by UK Bank of England, government and industry.

The exam seems challenging; some exams consists of hands-on, MCQ and 'essay style' written paper. icon_redface.gif
    This is incredible. However, the exam format limits reach to UK only.

They just signed an agreement with Singapore this month; so I guess the examiners will fly to Singapore every quarter to conduct exams.