Motherboard component level repairs/ typing certifications?

domn425domn425 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
Hey everybody. I have two questions. First one is, are there any certifications/books on motherboard component level repair, where you learn repairs to the point of being able to solder bios and other chips to repair motherboards? I know somebody who does that and that caught my interest as I'd like to learn more about that in particular. Also, I've recently found out that my typing speed is pretty good (I touch-type at 100-120 words per minute). Since professional typists apparently get 55-65wpm on average, I thought maybe it would be a good thing to have some kind of certificate as proof of my typing speed. Anyone heard of either of those?

Comments

• cyberguyprcyberguypr Mod Posts: 6,928 Mod
    What exactly are you trying to achieve by obtaining proof of your typing speed? Other than data entry jobs I really do not see this as having any tangible effect on a professional IT role.
  • Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    I agree with cyberguypr on this. I took a typing certification exam locally at a college and have 108wpm. The only reason I got it was because before breaking into IT, I worked in a data entry role and the employer paid for the certification. Besides that, I don't really see the need of having it. If you're trying to break into IT, start with the CompTIA A+.

Good luck.
  • domn425domn425 Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Initially I just thought of doing it as some kind of extra I guess. I think you guys are right though, as my main aim is IT, not data entry. I'm about to take my A+ exams and move on to CCENT and then CCNA most likely.
  • TWXTWX Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Knowing what to type is a lot more important than being able to type it quickly.

I had an experience a couple of months ago where I had to reconfigure a whole lot of interfaces on network equipment over a campus and due to problems I was limited to the 9600 baud connection between my laptop and the switch I was plugged into. Typing speed was completely irrelevant in that situation, but efficiency in my commands and knowing what I was doing so to not cut off my connection to remote equipment was essential.

As for component-level repair of anything electronics, given the hands-on nature of that kind of service, I expect certifications would be trade-school based or university-based for electronics engineering tech or electronics programs, not something normally developed over a few weeks in a course with a cert at the end. Frankly component-level repair is not high-end work, it's a lot closer to grunt work, and while it can be profitable it's a lot closer to blue-collar than to white-collar.
  • markulousmarkulous Member Posts: 2,394 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Yeah I'd say go with the A+. It's good knowledge to have and shows you know something about motherboards.

As far as typing, I don't think I've ever heard of that coming up in an interview or resume evaluation. It's assumed you can type fast enough to do your job. If I interviewed someone and saw a cert for 120 wpm, I'd look right over it.
  • exspiravitexspiravit Member Posts: 44 ■■□□□□□□□□
    PACE, which makes one of the best soldering stations, used to hold training on soldering and using their products, they have the kits still: Training | PACE Worldwide

The only dedicated soldering and rework classes, if they still exist, would be something like in the military (where I got mine). Maybe ITT or Lincoln, or as mentioned, a community college might offer this as part of a technologist program like Electronics Engineering. No one really does rework anymore. Hourly rate, equipment costs, a proper ESD work bench, piece parts on hand, it can cost more than the device itself.