WGU BS - IT Security Start Date 12/1/15

Hi Guys:

So the wait is almost over and my transfer of credits evaluations is finally complete. I was able to transfer 94 credits and am only left with 30 credit hours to graduate.

Following are the only courses I have to take.

1. Business of IT:Project (4 credits)
    Project+
  2. Principles of Management--- (4 credit hours)
  3. Intro to IT: (4 credit hours)
  4. English II: (3 credit hours)
  5. Business of IT-Applications (4 credit hours)
  6. Scripting and Programming--Applications: (4 credits)
  7. Technical Writing
    (3 credit hours)
  8. IT Capstone-- (4 credit hours)
I want you all’s help/guidance/tips/clues to ensure I finish all 30 CUs in "one" term.

I still have 40 days to Dec 1st and I want to utilize the available time. I want to start working towards research papers, assessments, etc during these 40 days, so once the term starts, all I will need to do is submit papers and take assessments.

As of now, I am planning to follow the below-mentioned sequence.
Dec 2015:
  1. Business of IT:Project (4 credits)
    Project+
  2. Principles of Management--- (4 credit hours)
  3. Intro to IT: (4 credit hours)

Jan 2016:
  1. English II: (3 credit hours)
  2. Business of IT-Applications (4 credit hours)

Feb/March 2016:
  1. Scripting and Programming--Applications: (4 credits)---I am going to hate this class.

April/May 2016:
  1. Technical Writing
    (3 credit hours)
  2. IT Capstone-- (4 credit hours)
Can you all, especially who are existing students, PM me or share the rubrics/metrics for the above listed 8 courses from your access so I can start preparing for them now? If someone can please help me identify which courses require research papers/essays and which only require assessment? Also, if someone can provide hints of breezing through each of them, that would be great.

I can start working now but I still don’t have access to any of the rubrics, therefore, don’t know what is the format and expectations for each of these 8. Please share the rubrics and PM me if you have already taken any of these 8 or have access to rubrics somehow even if you havent taken them yet.

I have to pay everything out of pocket. Being a full-time employee, spending 60-70 hours at work, and then having a young family, is itself demanding, so need ya’ll’s help.

I promise to payback when and wherever I can be of help to others.

Thanks everyone in advance.

Comments

• fuz1onfuz1on Member Posts: 961 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Great job on transferring so much! Cisco stuff is 18 CU's! I was really thinking about taking CCNA Composite right before but I figured my ROI was better if I left those 3 Cisco certs in my tuition! I'm going to try to pump them out first since I'm pretty confident I can pass right now.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    Transmosis | http://transmosis.com | LinkedIn | https://linkedin.com/in/t1mku
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    The only real failure in life is not to be true to the best one knows. - Buddha
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
  • bpennbpenn Member Posts: 499
    You should have NO problem finishing in one term. I have 40 CUs left and I know I will finish in one term. If you arent a programmer then it might take extra time for scripting and programming (Java) as I am taking that one right now and it sucks.

At least you got out of taking SQL! I HATED that class.
    "If your dreams dont scare you - they ain't big enough" - Life of Dillon
  • usman4673usman4673 Member Posts: 115
    bpenn wrote: »
    You should have NO problem finishing in one term. I have 40 CUs left and I know I will finish in one term. If you arent a programmer then it might take extra time for scripting and programming (Java) as I am taking that one right now and it sucks.

At least you got out of taking SQL! I HATED that class.

Yes, java is the only class where i am worried about time the most. What do you think, how deep they go in Java? How much time should be set aside? And what is it actually that you are required to pass Java? Any assigments or just one proctor-based, MCQs type assessment?

Which book or site do you recommend to pass the class? Any tips? Anything i can do now? Project?
    Another question:
    Can one take pre-assessments and the FINAL/assessment as many times until one passes or is there any limit?
    Are all assessments proctored or some are just non-proctored but time-based?

Any tips for Principles of Management and Business of IT:Applications? Do they require essays or quiz/assessments?
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    usman4673 wrote: »
    Another question:
    Can one take pre-assessments and the FINAL/assessment as many times until one passes or is there any limit?
    Are all assessments proctored or some are just non-proctored but time-based?

Any tips for Principles of Management and Business of IT:Applications? Do they require essays or quiz/assessments?

There is a limit to three pre-assessments per course so use them wisely. There might be circumstances that would allow you to be able to take additional attempts but that would be a discussion between you and your WGU course mentor. I don't think you can go past that limit but you would need clarification from them. It depends on the class if it has a P then it's a performance-based assessment such as writing a paper or doing a presentation. If it's an O then it's an objective-based assessment that is proctored either at a local test center or via your web camera depending on your preference. There are three attempts on the final assessments and if you fail the first attempt on the final assessment there is a two week waiting period and additional attempts require extra work for approval per the course mentors for each class.

As for Principles of Management it's a lot of vocabulary term memorization and learning project methodology. It is an objective based multiple-choice exam. As for the last course I didn't have to take it as I transferred out of via my credits so I can't comment on that particular course.

Hope this information is helpful. ;)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    dakinggamer: thanks a lot!

Just one confusion, is there a 3-attempts limit for pre-assessment and the final/assessment both or is the cap only on final/assessment?

And from the list of courses that I have, do you know which ones are P and O?Have you taken Critical thinking and logic? Or Capstone etc?

Finally, are the assessments based on quiz questions/pre-assessment verbatim or no? Just trying to understand how much time will a course take with my full-time job and the family. Is there any blog/site that talks more specifically about WGU?

Any other thread you have come across that has valuable info?
    dakinggamer: thanks a lot!

Just one confusion, is there a 3-attempts limit for pre-assessment and the final/assessment both or is the cap only on final/assessment?

And from the list of courses that I have, do you know which ones are P and O?Have you taken Critical thinking and logic? Or Capstone etc?

Finally, are the assessments based on quiz questions/pre-assessment verbatim or no? Just trying to understand how much time will a course take with my full-time job and the family. Is there any blog/site that talks more specifically about WGU?

Any other thread you have come across that has valuable info?

There is a three attempts limit on pre-assessments and final assessments so each has 3 attempts. I hope that answers any confusion. The Capstone is your final which is a written project so it's a performance-based assessment. I didn't take Critical Thinking as I transferred in many certs along with my degree but I would guess it's an objective exam.

The pre-assessments and assessments are similar as they are based on the same objectives. They are multiple-choice from what I remember when I took many of the classes. You will need to dedicate 15 hrs or more a week to your studies at a minimum. Some courses you may take might be easier then others was my experience but your mileage may vary depending on your skills/experience.

I have set up a repository of my WGU Study Notes and Resources on the following thread:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/114392-wgu-bs-security-degree-completed.html

I hope I answered all of your questions as best as I could communicate.

Good luck on your journey and God bless!! :)
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
    Thanks for asking/answering, usman4673/D! Useful info.
    timku.com(puter) | ProHacker.Co(nsultant) | ITaaS.Co(nstultant) | ThePenTester.net | @fuz1on
    If evil be spoken of you and it be true, correct yourself, if it be a lie, laugh at it. - Epictetus
    If you are not willing to learn, no one can help you. If you are determined to learn, no one can stop you. - Unknown
    Just helping out my WGU colleagues!! :)

Im not very far into Java but I am using the provided course material (Wiley and Udemy videos) to learn. It doesnt go too in depth but there is a proctored test and you have to write a java program as a project. It is probably going to take me 1.5 to 2 months to finish as I take classes I know nothing about extremely slowly.
    Let me know if you guys need any help. I actually got credit for both Scripting and Programming classes albeit for VB.Net and C/C++ but I've been working exclusively with Python lately (MongoDB stuff). Also, I know Java alright - enough to work on some middleware!

Are any of you guys bilingual? If so, try to think of programming in the sense of translating actual languages - one language syntax by syntax to the other. Being bilingual, your mind is sort of already accustomed to translation on-the-fly which helped me with programming language syntax and paradigms.
    Im not gonna lie, taking SQL really helped me a bit with some Java syntax. There are quite a few similarities and I am finding it beneficial to learn multiple languages.
    There is a three attempts limit on pre-assessments and final assessments so each has 3 attempts. I hope that answers any confusion. The Capstone is your final which is a written project so it's a performance-based assessment. I didn't take Critical Thinking as I transferred in many certs along with my degree but I would guess it's an objective exam.

The pre-assessments and assessments are similar as they are based on the same objectives. They are multiple-choice from what I remember when I took many of the classes. You will need to dedicate 15 hrs or more a week to your studies at a minimum. Some courses you may take might be easier then others was my experience but your mileage may vary depending on your skills/experience.

I have set up a repository of my WGU Study Notes and Resources on the following thread:

http://www.techexams.net/forums/jobs-degrees/114392-wgu-bs-security-degree-completed.html

I hope I answered all of your questions as best as I could communicate.

Good luck on your journey and God bless!! :)

Being in a habit for studying for CCIE has made me organzied enough where even 40-50 hours for studying along with working 40-60 hours on-job is doable for me. CCIE makes a man out of you. Its not the CCIE, the number that matters so much. Its the process that it makes you go through to acquire it and then the tremendous wealth of knowledge that accompanies it.

Anyway, setting aside time is not a big challenge for me. And your reply has been crystal clear. No doubts left whatsoever. One of my big challenges will be to work with my Student Mentor. I can understand when a student has to take 2-3 terms, then you have enough time to establish the bond and trust and then they might release vouchers for cert exams the day they release the class to you, but for someone like me with just one term, I dont think, we have enough time to know each other. A bit worried there, what to expect and how to stay perseverant when there will be times when I wont get the reply timely or the response the way I assumed or expected. I am also concerned, if he/she will let me take the classes in the sequence I prefer.
    Can anyone confirm whats the aggregate passing percentage for a course at WGU? I want to breeze through a few courses and dont want to overdo and spend too much time on them as some of them have no relevancy to my field to much extent. A pass is a pass, and I want to move on and spend the available time where I am really weak.
    fuz1on wrote: »
    Let me know if you guys need any help. I actually got credit for both Scripting and Programming classes albeit for VB.Net and C/C++ but I've been working exclusively with Python lately (MongoDB stuff). Also, I know Java alright - enough to work on some middleware!

Are any of you guys bilingual? If so, try to think of programming in the sense of translating actual languages - one language syntax by syntax to the other. Being bilingual, your mind is sort of already accustomed to translation on-the-fly which helped me with programming language syntax and paradigms.

I know, I will definitely reach out to you wherever I will be lost in grasping concept.
    Another question on pre-assessments/final:

Has anyone re-attempted pre-assessment/final? Do the exam questions change on the subsequent attempts or stay the same?

and is exam based on quiz questions verbatim or no?
    Does anyone know which version of Java is required in C169:Programming/Applications? Is it Java SE 7 or 8? And whats the percentage distribution between Java project and assessment? Lastly, which IDE (Eclipse, IntelliJ IDEA) or Notepad++ is required per the curriculum?
    Can anyone confirm whats the aggregate passing percentage for a course at WGU? I want to breeze through a few courses and dont want to overdo and spend too much time on them as some of them have no relevancy to my field to much extent. A pass is a pass, and I want to move on and spend the available time where I am really weak.

It depends on the course can be anywhere between as low as 52%-65% but these are averages based on the classes that I took during my terms. ;)

On pre-assessments:

1) Are they proctored too?
    2) Are they timed too?
    3) Does 2nd attempt come with changed question pool?
    My evaluation has been updated and "Critical thinking & Logic" has been denied but English-II approved. So I am again at 94CU to start my term.

I am my scholarship interview scheduled. Wish me luck.

I have personally, already started studying Project+, Intro to IT, and Java. I am hoping to kick-off my term with Intro to IT, Project+, and Principles of Management.
  • stryder144stryder144 Member Posts: 1,684 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck, usman4673. To answer a few questions: the pre-assessments are not proctored but they are timed. I believe the pool of questions changes, but, to be honest, I haven't taken two pre-assessments for the same course (yet). Some pre-assessments are harder than the actual assessments, so I would suggest doing a bit of research, per course, on which is harder. It can be a helpful gauge.

As for your mentor, good luck with establishing a bond. Each mentor is different and some seem to be really chill, like mine, and others appear to be on a mission to say "no!" more than they say anything else. I would just lay it out for your mentor what it is you hope to accomplish. If the mentor can't explain how doing what you want violates a school policy, then I would request a change of mentor. Thankfully, my mentor has been nothing but supportive, hopefully yours will be, too.
    The easiest thing to be in the world is you. The most difficult thing to be is what other people want you to be. Don't let them put you in that position. ~ Leo Buscaglia

Connect With Me || My Blog Site || Follow Me
    Cool! I think I'd rather take Crit Thinking/Logic than English II any day!

Good luck on your scholarship interview!

Those three classes all tie into each other so it should just be a matter of familiarizing yourself with terminology and the nuances of enterprise architecture.

Edit: My mentor is really cool/chill and so was my enrollment counselor. They made the process really smooth and seamless for me. YMMV...
    Good luck on your scholarship interview!! icon_thumright.gif

Hi:
    I have been busy at work for the last few days on a few projects. Regarding university, I have already completed my orientation modules. Scholarship interview went good, still hopeful for the award.

Currently, I am waiting for mentor to be assigned. Lets hope, I get a good one. Also, a bit confused on which course to start studying first. I am still waiting for the webcam from WGU, so I was thinking to take care of Project+ first and get it scheduled within the first 7-10 days of the term. Meanwhile, I expect webcam to have arrived and then I can start studying for Intro to IT as the 2nd course.

Regarding "Intro to IT," just studying quizlets is enough? Or you all also recommend going over the course material provided by WGU. I want to save myself from over-studying. Main goal is "not to work hard but smart." Thats why, I want to spend my time wisely but I am not wise enough, therefore requesting you all to show the path, share your wisdom.

@Dakinggamre87: Boss! thanks a lot! It went good. These days, I feel a bit strange, excited/scared/uncertain at the same time when I think about starting my BS "AGAIN." I hope, this time, I stay focused, motivated, and fortunate. Family/work/life/health balance is important. Therefore, I am not too hellbent about finishing all 8 courses in one term. I know, I can save money if I finish a term, but dont want to do it at the cost of not being a supporting husband and a good father. So, I am thinking to do it in a way, where the work/home environment doesn't notice and feel any negative impacts of this new endeavor of my BS.
    I was in the same boat as you, usman. I have a wife and a 2 year old and finding time was difficult at first so I started studying at work at the end of the day, every day. Even more so on Fridays. Work will be slower around the holidays and you best believe I will cranking out the hours during that time. I am nearing readiness for my assessment for Java and SO READY to be done with that class, you have no idea.

Also, I have 38 CU left and I am not rushing too hard. I am putting in 1-2 hours a day and really trying to learn the material instead of cramming hard. I am one of those people who just really needs personal time to unwind and I cannot just put in crazy study hours or I will lose my mind (especially studying SQL and now Java).

I recommend not taking too many harder classes back-to-back. Space them out a bit and that will also help with your sanity.
    bpenn: You have hit right on the nail-head. i came across this somewhere and it shooked me really.

At first I was dying to grow up and go to high school
    Then I was dying to finish high school and go to college
    Then I was dying to finish college and start working
    Then I was dying to get married and have children
    Then I was dying for my children to grow old enough so I can go back to work
    Then I was dying to retire
    And now I am dying
    And I suddenly realized
    I forgot to live…

Thats why, I want to live my life, live my moments with the family, live and enjoy my readings, and go at a pace that I can sustain without impacting things I hold dear.
    I'm glad to hear your preparations are going well!! Blessings are ahead and if you need to reach out I will be here as well as the TE community. ;)

You can do this!! icon_thumright.gif

Any veteran can confirm if the CompTIA certs WGU students take are "J" series exams or "P" series?
    Secondly, for WGU voucher, does the mentor normally care about seeing your 90% + score on the post-assessment only or they want you to take pre,3-long tests and the post-assessment?

I want to target nothing less nothing more to move on.
    Any veteran can confirm if the CompTIA certs WGU students take are "J" series exams or "P" series?
    Secondly, for WGU voucher, does the mentor normally care about seeing your 90% + score on the post-assessment only or they want you to take pre,3-long tests and the post-assessment?

I want to target nothing less nothing more to move on.

Generally the education vouchers are the "J" series and the "P" series are if you take them on your own outside of academic studies or program curriculum. To answer your second question they generally like to see a high percentage so that you have the best possible chance of passing the exams on the first attempt. They are looking to see a high score on the post-assessments primarily as it is a readiness test to see how much of the knowledge you have learned. It also gives them an idea if you are on track and ready to test.

Hope that helps!! :)

Thanks Dakinggamer87. Definitely brought relief and much needed help.

Today, I have passed Project+, so 1 out of 8 down. Now I need advice, which one should i go next out of Intro to IT or Principles of Management. I want to do the shortest, easiest the first so I can spend the X-mas vacation on the more demanding one. Which one has been easier to prepare and pass of these two? Let me know.