Remedy sucks!

2»

Comments

• TWXTWX Member Posts: 275 ■■■□□□□□□□
    We used to use an in-house system that was built on Access 97. It wasn't perfect but from a technician's point of view worked okay. We migrated to an in-house system built in On Base, it was not so good. We migrated to Cherwell and it's also not so good. These opinions are all from the tech-side rather than the management side.

I suspect we ended up where we did so management could do accounting. The in-house systems worked as records stores but had no advanced accounting or any kind of intelligent workorder flow. The current one has pretty graphs for accounting and can do reports, but it's just clunky and the menus were clearly not created by someone that actually has to use it, so tab-order doesn't work, dropdown listboxes require using the mouse (typing won't auto-fill) and too many screens were set up generically for all users regardless of job, so one has to deal with PC, printer, copier, timeclock, cabling, hardware support, and software support options when dealing with network trouble tickets.
  • dustervoicedustervoice Member Posts: 877 ■■■■□□□□□□
    What is the Remedy for Remedy?
  • DeathmageDeathmage Banned Posts: 2,496
    TheFORCE wrote: »
    Does anyone else feel the same way? Remedy is the worst ticketing system I have ever used. It can't even search or sort properly.

I hated remedy cause end users used to take screenshot and submit tickets, but remedy strips screenshots, they had to be attachments. Try explaining that to a frustrated end-user...

Once we used Kaseya our problems went away...

we now use Spiceworks for tickets, much easier to setup and integrates SNMP into them for monitoring of the network. icon_biggrin.gif

http://www.spiceworks.com/free-help-desk-software/overview/
  • White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
    ConnectWise here, love it.
    "The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."
  • DevilWAHDevilWAH Member Posts: 2,997 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Pupil wrote: »
    If it takes 15 full time engineers to make it work properly, I don't want to go anywhere near it.

when you are running 400,000 devices which included over 250,000 desktop, a workforce of over 300,000 users around the glove and the systems is used from every thing from helpdesk, change managment (down to things like enabling a port on a switch), and project implementatio work flows with 10,000's of operations going through the system a day and a few 1'000 end users of the system. a team of 15 people is not much of a resource, its all about scale. if you have a system that manages tens of thousands of workflows based on many thousands of different work flow templates. you need a team to manage the configuration of the system and insure new workflows are implement existing workflows are kept up to day, as well as support the end users with any issues they have.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
    Deathmage wrote: »
    I hated remedy cause end users used to take screenshot and submit tickets, but remedy strips screenshots, they had to be attachments. Try explaining that to a frustrated end-user...

Once we used Kaseya our problems went away...

we now use Spiceworks for tickets, much easier to setup and integrates SNMP into them for monitoring of the network. icon_biggrin.gif

Help Desk Software | IT Help Desk from Spiceworks

How did the users raise tickets, email? if so then its just a case of insuring the import script in to remedy correctly handles them. inline pictures or as attachment can both easily be handled.

Out of the box Remedy was not friendly but it i very flexibly if yo know how to use it. Not good for small companies as you need to invest time to get the best out of it.
    • If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. Albert Einstein
    • An arrow can only be shot by pulling it backward. So when life is dragging you back with difficulties. It means that its going to launch you into something great. So just focus and keep aiming.
  • zcarenowzcarenow Member Posts: 110
    like they say, Remedy needs some serious remediation!
  • davefrancodavefranco Member Posts: 12 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Remedy works good as other as other alternatives but i have bad luck with it in past.
  • Mike-MikeMike-Mike Member Posts: 1,860
    I did not like Remedy as much as CA Service Desk, but both are way better than Service Manager
    Currently Working On

CWTS, then WireShark
  • SlowhandSlowhand Mod Posts: 5,161 Mod
    The best setup I've worked with was ConnectWise with Kaseya integrated for monitoring and remote control of systems. We had a fantastic dedicated administrator that really knew his stuff that made sure we had all our documentation attached to the inventory tools in ConnectWise, our calendars were hooked up to the tickets that came in which would schedule our meetings/onsite visits, and that we had alerts coming in as they should. Things were easy to find, you could click on a server in our inventory and bring up all tickets associated with it, etc.

In most cases when I've worked with Remedy, it's been a mess. From what I understand, it can work wonderfully if you have an admin (or team of admins) that can really configure it properly.

I suppose it just goes to show that, in IT, the systems and servers are only as good as the administrative tools that manage them.

Free Microsoft Training: Microsoft Learn
    Free PowerShell Resources: Top PowerShell Blogs
    Free DevOps/Azure Resources: Visual Studio Dev Essentials

Let it never be said that I didn't do the very least I could do.
  • beatfreakerbeatfreaker Member Posts: 15 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Anyone know what version you guys are on? I think we're still on 7? The user interface sucks so bad. The funny part is that people spent a lot of time building tools and APIs to work around that and because so much time/effort was put into it, they dont want to give it up. I wish there was light at the end of the tunnel.
    Slowhand wrote: »
    I suppose it just goes to show that, in IT, the systems and servers are only as good as the administrative tools that manage them.

Spot on!! not just IT, but to get a good system you have to invest in to it. You can invest time or money, or both. the more time normally the less money, more money less time.

If you invest money in getting the best people then they can invest less time for the same results. But in the end it all comes down to what you invest in it to make the solution right. Very few solutions are bad/good out of the box. it takes people to decided which one they end up.
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I have to use 4 different Remedy systems due to some of them living in airgapped networks.

The main TWO systems I have to use are complete garbage.