CCIE Rack

HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
Any one use any of the turn key solutions out there? I got the green light to add a network rack dedicate to the Network Engineering group in our new Small Cell Networks lab. My boss says I can order anything just not too outrageous. Ideas? Budget is $5k
“The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln

Comments

• gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    I'd probably buy a server and VIRL and save the rest of the cash.

What are you trying to achieve?
  • HondabuffHondabuff Member Posts: 667 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you think VIRL has progressed to a point that its worth purchasing. My boss was thinking a rack of gear would look cool.
    “The problem with quotes on the Internet is that you can’t always be sure of their authenticity.” ~Abraham Lincoln
  • WiseWunWiseWun Member Posts: 285
    gorebrush wrote: »
    I'd probably buy a server and VIRL and save the rest of the cash.

What are you trying to achieve?

+1. I would talk to the network engineers and seek their opinion/requirements. If it's for learning and practising R&S, DC, and security, buy a beefy box and go with VIRL. CML (multi-user) is another option but more costly.
    "If you’re not prepared to be wrong, you’ll never come up with anything original.” - Ken Robinson
  • gorebrushgorebrush Member Posts: 2,743 ■■■■■■■□□□
    You can do R&S with just CSR's and some old switches, server typically for this should set you back about $800-1000 and the software is free.
  • Dieg0MDieg0M Member Posts: 861
    Buy a server with VIRL. You can't get a decent hardware lab with 5k.
    Follow my CCDE journey at www.routingnull0.com
  • JoJoCal19JoJoCal19 Mod Posts: 2,835 Mod
    Can VIRL be used for all of the Security track?
    Have: CISSP, CISM, CISA, CRISC, eJPT, GCIA, GSEC, CCSP, CCSK, AWS CSAA, AWS CCP, OCI Foundations Associate, ITIL-F, MS Cyber Security - USF, BSBA - UF, MSISA - WGU
    Currently Working On: Python, OSCP Prep
    Next Up:​ OSCP
    Studying:​ Code Academy (Python), Bash Scripting, Virtual Hacking Lab Coursework