Options

Best places to look for entry level jobs

LeisureSuitLarryLeisureSuitLarry Member Posts: 78 ■■□□□□□□□□
Two certs down, but no luck yet in the job search. I've mostly searched Craigslist and then put in applications with large companies (IBM, Dell, HP, etc) as they seem to value college degrees more (which is about all I have going for me right now). I haven't worked in IT in years, so it's been tough finding a way to break back in. I taught university for a while, and I was hoping to find a job where my teaching experience might be worth something, but entry level is probably what I'll have to settle for. It's a shame as it feels like nothing I've accomplished so far is worth anything at all in this field. But there's got to be a way to break-in, so I'm continuing the search.

Also, if anyone knows any specific recruiters in the Atlanta area, please let me know. I have no idea who's reputable and who isn't. Thanks.

Comments

• Options
    White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
    What did you teach?
    "The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."
  • Options
    What did you teach?

I'd rather not say in a public forum, but feel free to send a message if you really want to know.
  • Options
    coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Check out dice.com for some IT gigs. Blessings on the journey.
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • Options
    danny069danny069 Member Posts: 1,025 ■■■■□□□□□□
    indeed.com
    I am a Jack of all trades, Master of None
  • Options
    White WizardWhite Wizard Member Posts: 179
    I'd rather not say in a public forum, but feel free to send a message if you really want to know.

If you didn't teach an IT related subject, why do you feel that experience should play into your favor or help you get an IT job?
    "The secret to happiness is doing what you love. The secret to success is loving what you do."
  • Options
    Justin-Justin- Member Posts: 300
    I would stay away from Craigslist. Handing off your resume there can go either way because a lot of the listings on Craigslist are fake and try to get your PII from your resume once you email it off. Try indeed or dice.

Best of luck.
  • Options
    Indeed and dice, both mentioned twice, I'll see if they suffice. Thanks for the warning on Craigslist.
  • Options
    scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Or read the ads very carefully on Craigslist. Out of 20 ads, 1 is real
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • Options
    Russell77Russell77 Member Posts: 161
    Maybe it varies by area but I have had some very legit opportunities from Craigs list. I also find that I have had higher percentage of calls per application on Craigs list than indeed.
  • Options
    Signed up on Dice.com. Also found a local recruiter that's fairly large, so I signed up with them as well. I applied to a couple jobs on dice that were advertised as junior level, so hopefully I have a shot.

I also found out they have a career fair in my city soon, so I'm considering attending, although I'm worried it will just be a bunch of college students, and that recruiters won't be interested in someone older. So I may go to that, I may not...not sure yet.
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would create job alerts for Jobs indeed.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQzHUiY0oM8

Craigs List does have legitimate jobs postings, but you do need to do your own research on the company posting the job.

Are you working now? If you're not working, could you volunteer to teach IT classes at non profit?

Create a job seeker account on zip recruiter:

https://www.ziprecruiter.com/contact/create
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor
  • Options
    NetworkingStudentNetworkingStudent Member Posts: 1,407 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I would go to the career fair.
    This will let you meet several recruiters at once.
    Also, you will get a chance to practice your networking and interviewing skills.
    Bring plenty copies of your resume.
    Good Luck!!
    When one door closes, another opens; but we often look so long and so regretfully upon the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened."

--Alexander Graham Bell,
    American inventor