Linux Academy Professional Development Certifications?

JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
I like the idea of these. They have IPTables, SELinux and Firewalld and right now you pay 25.00.

However that is a starting price. Eventually, the price will go to $50 and it seems like you only get one free retake, only two weeks later after taking the 1st test. And employers can look online to validate that there were taken successfully.

Was wondering if anyone here has taken one yet and what their experience was like?

Again, Linux Academy is awesome. Nothing but praise for what they are doing, however $50 seems steep for the Professional Development Certs.
***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
-unknown

Comments

• Joe_SagonaJoe_Sagona Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    This is actually pretty cheap for professional development certifications. Linux+ runs at almost $200, VMware VCA is roughly $120, and CompTIA test typically run anywhere between $200-300. If you are looking to beef up your resume for an upcoming job opportunity, I would look into these more popular tests as they will be looked highly upon, if you do not have them already.
  • JockVSJockJockVSJock Member Posts: 1,118
    To me, these seem various specific and narrow.

And they isn't alot of backing yet by various IT companies, so at this time, will having these on your resume help?
    ***Freedom of Speech, Just Watch What You Say*** Example, Beware of CompTIA Certs (Deleted From Google Cached)

"Its easier to deceive the masses then to convince the masses that they have been deceived."
    -unknown
  • Joe_SagonaJoe_Sagona Member Posts: 5 ■□□□□□□□□□
    I believe, LinuxSE has been retired. For Firewalld and IPTables, I don't believe it will have a large affect on you obtaining the right job. Nothing will beat experience, however, it can not hurt to have one of these as an add-on. Reddit has a few good debates on this, but here one I like for key differences: https://www.reddit.com/r/linuxadmin/comments/3darik/iptables_or_firewalld/
    With the advent on RHEL7, everything is moving to Systemd. Firewalld replaces iptables in RHEL7 too, however some Linux folks won't move or will be biased either way.

Can't hurt knowing either, however just wondering if a Professional Development will help advance a person's career.

And yes, experience is king, however this goes back to the age old debate. How can you get the job if you don't have the experience, and how can you get the experience, if you can't get the job.

SELinux? Retired from Linux or the Professional Development?

-unknown
  • varelgvarelg Banned Posts: 790
    I was actually watching Linux Academy's live event when this feature was announced and immediately people that were in the chat room started asking questions about expiration date and administration and such, so immediately this feature was viewed as some kind of substitute for already established certifications. Although its creators were clear it is not. And I don't think it can.
    It is unclear as to what is the purpose of professional certification within LA. The academy was created to help its students prepare for exams already established. And new features like graded assignments and final test simulations are great and fit the purpose. But what's with professional certs? Are they aiming to spin off their own line of certs?
    I got a voucher and will probably take SELinux test.
    varelg wrote: »
    I got a voucher and will probably take SELinux test.

Cool.

If you could, write something up here and let us know how it goes.

thanks

-unknown