Tier 1

PlayMaker88PlayMaker88 Member Posts: 35 ■■■□□□□□□□
Is the A+ the only certification for help desk ? If not, what are some others ?

Comments

• LexluetharLexluethar Member Posts: 516
    I would consider CompTIA A+, Net+ as well as Security+ all help desk oriented certifications. It's kind of a vague question because depending on the help desk depends on what technical skills you need.

I worked at the help desk at one company where you did nothing but troubleshoot a specific application - something where the A+ was definitely helpful but a Net+ wasn't. I worked desktop support / help desk at another company and we were doing everything from swapping out hard drives (A+) to editing active directory objects (something more of an MCP).

Regardless I would suggest starting off with the A+ and Net+. That's generally the best starting point because it gives you hardware knowledge and networking knowledge. Once you take those two and pass start focusing on what you enjoy more. If networking isn't your thing I would suggest passing a Microsoft exam (Windows 10 if it's out).
  • Params7Params7 Member Posts: 254
    A+ is a good cert to get a start and basic knowledge about computing and troubleshooting if you're new to the IT field. N+ is basic networking knowledge, also valuable in most tier1 helpdesk positions.