Upcoming Interview for a Job that is Over My Head

olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
Right now Im working as a mid level guy in networking in a very safe job with a school district.
Im doing basic LAN network design/installation/troubleshooting. Nothing too difficult.

I have a handful of low level certs, BS from WGU, and only about 3 years experience.

I am also a job hopper who has constantly moved up every job hop in shorts amount of time.

I recently was contacted directly (not a recruiter) by a company who wants a "Senior Network Engineer" with 5-10 yrs experience, BS degree, CCNP level certs, and experience with a bunch of things Ive never touched.
I am currently studying for the CCNP, but I am no where near taking it.

I will be happy to go interview with them but I am curious about my approach since by their own requirements I am not qualified and will be in over my head from the start. But since they contacted me and said they were impressed with my resume I am a little hopeful.
I have not discussed salary range with them yet but I plan to before interviewing as to not waste anyones time.

Also after snooping current employees with the company on LinkedIn, they all blow me out of the water in terms of experience and certs.

Just wondering anyone's thoughts on situations like these.

Comments

• networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    As long as you didn't lie on your resume they should have some idea where you are at. As you said, they chose to contact you so feel them out and be upfront. A lot of times a senior is the preferred, but good ones are hard to find so a less experienced up and comer with a good head on his/her shoulders is the consolation prize.

Good luck!
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • systemstechsystemstech Member Posts: 120
    Bro, don't even worry about it. As long as you have the drive to get the work done. I'm currently doing getting ready for a Windows 10 deployment for the entire corporation, an Office 365 migration, and a Azure migration. Literally never did any of them before.
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Good luck!! icon_thumright.gif

Just do your best and go for it
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • yellowpadyellowpad Member Posts: 192 ■■■□□□□□□□
    good luck....they called you for a reason.
    Completed MSCIA f/ WGU~ CISSP 5-days boot camp scheduled :)
  • techfiendtechfiend Member Posts: 1,481 ■■■■□□□□□□
    During the interview show confidence in your current skills. If you don't know something don't fumble, just say I don't know but would quickly learn. Given time I think just about anyone with some relevant experience can accomplish just about anything when it comes to infrastructure. Keep challenging yourself!
    2018 AWS Solutions Architect - Associate (Apr) 2017 VCAP6-DCV Deploy (Oct) 2016 Storage+ (Jan)
    2015 Start WGU (Feb) Net+ (Feb) Sec+ (Mar) Project+ (Apr) Other WGU (Jun) CCENT (Jul) CCNA (Aug) CCNA Security (Aug) MCP 2012 (Sep) MCSA 2012 (Oct) Linux+ (Nov) Capstone/BS (Nov) VCP6-DCV (Dec) ITILF (Dec)
  • powmiapowmia Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 322
    I've been in over my head every time I started a new job. Why do you care about whether or not you're a fit for that company? The question you need to ask is if that company is right for you. Go get it. Take on a challenge. Rock it. Progress your career. Lateral moves give you nothing.
  • olaHaloolaHalo Member Posts: 748 ■■■■□□□□□□
    Thanks everyone
    powmia wrote: »
    I've been in over my head every time I started a new job. Why do you care about whether or not you're a fit for that company? The question you need to ask is if that company is right for you. Go get it. Take on a challenge. Rock it. Progress your career. Lateral moves give you nothing.

Im not worried about if I am a fit for the company.
    Every job Ive had was also over my head.

But this job is WAY over my head. Im guessing they are having trouble finding the perfect guy and have lowered their standards. Literally they want a bunch of Linux experience, high level juniper/brocade stuff, WAN stuff I have little experience with etc.

Im definitely going to go for it =D
  • DojiscalperDojiscalper Member Posts: 266 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I see a lot of descriptions out there with wish lists that go on forever. I wonder how much of the list really gets filled by the guy that ends up getting the job. To me its mostly all IT geeky stuff so if you know some of it and love it learning what you don't know is just fun.
  • scaredoftestsscaredoftests Mod Posts: 2,780 Mod
    Never let your fear control your fate! Go for it.
    Never let your fear decide your fate....
  • totallyjadedtotallyjaded Member Posts: 11 ■□□□□□□□□□
    A lot of companies use canned job reqs that encompass everything under the sun, because HR-types love the idea of flipping a switch and instantly posting a job when needed.

Most of the recruiters I've worked with aren't too bad at being gatekeepers (though for the love of all that is holy, I wish companies would stop telling Windows guys that they're Network Engineers) so I can look at a resume and say "No, he's way too light" or "Let's bring her in for an interview".

Unless it's a really small company where you're really interviewing to be the "IT guy" and they don't know what they need, chances are pretty good that whoever said to interview you has a good feel for whatever your resume says you know.
    Unless it's a really small company where you're really interviewing to be the "IT guy" and they don't know what they need, chances are pretty good that whoever said to interview you has a good feel for whatever your resume says you know.

IT Guy is exactly the position I'd like to get right now. I'm having a very hard time finding those size companies that have a position open.
    Honestly, I don't see that space getting much bigger.

With SBD/NBD service contracts on laptops getting cheaper, O365 / GFW / Dropbox and other SaaS replacements out there, smallish companies who used to need full-time support are often getting by with "diminished, but acceptable".
    Honestly, I don't see that space getting much bigger.

With SBD/NBD service contracts on laptops getting cheaper, O365 / GFW / Dropbox and other SaaS replacements out there, smallish companies who used to need full-time support are often getting by with "diminished, but acceptable".

That is true. I'm currently the diminished but acceptable guy they call so i see it daily. Still I'm looking at just a little bigger than those companies and I know it's getting smaller.
  • greg9891greg9891 Member Posts: 1,189 ■■■■■■■□□□
    A wise guy once said '' If an employer asked you about something that you don't know how to do. say yes and figure out how to do it later!!!!!!!!LOL
    :
    Upcoming Certs: VCA-DCV 7.0, VCP-DCV 7.0, Oracle Database 1Z0-071, PMP, Server +, CCNP

Proverbs 6:6-11Go to the ant, you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard?
    When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep, So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler And your need like an armed man.
    greg9891 wrote: »
    A wise guy once said '' If an employer asked you about something that you don't know how to do. say yes and figure out how to do it later!!!!!!!!LOL
    Just be sure you're not figuring it out when your core router poops the bed at 4 a.m.
  • networker050184networker050184 Mod Posts: 11,962 Mod
    greg9891 wrote: »

I'd call that guy dumb not wise.
    An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made.
  • blatiniblatini Member Posts: 285
    I'd imagine he's being sarcastic haha
  • Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    I just wanted to say good luck, I am in a similar boat for an interview next week. Quite a lot above what I do now but they contacted me too, go do your best mate- you've got nothing to lose!
    UPDATE
    Actually got an offer for the job today

Pros
    20% pay increase
    Shorter commute to office
    More depth with technology
    Much better job title
    More room for growth
    Paid certifications/training

Cons
    Im in a cushy government job thats very comfortable
    Less job security
    24/7 Shop

Ill think it over for a week or so before I decide. But I most likely will go for it.
    Thanks for all the kind words
    congrats!!!!.....
  • Dakinggamer87Dakinggamer87 Member Posts: 4,016 ■■■■■■■■□□
    Congrats dude!! :)

Sounds like a great opportunity.
    *Associate's of Applied Sciences degree in Information Technology-Network Systems Administration
    *Bachelor's of Science: Information Technology - Security, Master's of Science: Information Technology - Management
    Matthew 6:33 - "Seek the Kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need."

Certs/Business Licenses In Progress: AWS Solutions Architect, Series 6, Series 63
  • coreyb80coreyb80 Member Posts: 647 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Congrats on getting the offer!
    WGU BS - Network Operations and Security
    Completion Date: May 2021
  • pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    congrats. Its always better to take a role where you have a ton to learn. It means you will indeed learn more and your resume will be that much better as a result. Imagine what jobs you will have access to 2-4 years from now! Good luck.
    would it be too much to ask your interview experience? questions and so forth?
    yellowpad wrote: »
    would it be too much to ask your interview experience? questions and so forth?

Sure
    Interview process
    -Contacted by in house recruiter expressing interest. We talked for about 30 minutes. He told me what they were looking for and he said he thinks Id be a good fit. Asked me what price range Id be interested in and to think about it.

-Technical Interview via Skype with 5 employees.
    Interview was different guys asking me questions. About 1.5 hours long. In my opinion they were not the best questions they couldve asked to determine my skill level. Most of the questions were troubleshooting various CCNA level issues. Then they asked Active Directory questions. Then some Linux questions. I did not know the answers to any of the linux questions and they knew beforehand that I wouldnt know. They said they'd contact me later and let me know what they thought.
    Id say on the questions I was 100% correct on Networking, 75% correct on AD, and 0% on linux.

-Contacted about 10 days later from recruiter saying that the managers want to talk to me. Contacted later by managers extending an offer and just talking about the job for about 2 hours. The guys told me that it was simply my personality that they liked. I kept cracking jokes during the interview and if I didnt know something Id joke about how Id pass the issue along to other departments and stuff.

If you want to know the specific technical questions I had I can PM you
    Thank you for sharing....I don't know about others, but I really appreciate you sharing.
    Thank you for sharing....I don't know about others, but I really appreciate you sharing.

No problem
    I keep my linkedin updated and I update my resume on Indeed too.
    Thats how I was contacted. Never thought it would lead to a job...
    Thanks for the tip...I sort of feel a little uneasy to expose my past to complete strangers to see on Linkedin.
    olaHalo wrote: »
    No problem
    I keep my linkedin updated and I update my resume on Indeed too.
    Thats how I was contacted. Never thought it would lead to a job...
  • Chev ChelliosChev Chellios Member Posts: 343 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Great news man, congratulations!
  • pinkydapimppinkydapimp Member Posts: 732 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Thanks for the tip...I sort of feel a little uneasy to expose my past to complete strangers to see on Linkedin.

Do it. On linkedin you can control what information is public. But for the networking you can do and for the job opportunities that might fall in your lap, its well worth being on linkedin.