CCNA Security, Should I keep trying?

bamahonkybamahonky Member Posts: 52 ■■□□□□□□□□
A little background. In January 2012, I earned my Security +. In March 2014, I earned my CCNA R & S. After passing ICND2, I started on 640-554. In February 2015, I took and failed the test. I then studied really hard using Udemy, Cisco Press Official Study Guide and used Boson sims and practice tests. I failed again. My plan was to use the CCNA Security to renew my Security +. After failing 640-554, it really bothers me. One part wants me to keep trying but one part says to cut my losses.

My question is, should I continue to try again for CCNA Security since the new exam is out? Is it really worth going down the Cisco Security path? I have some time to renew my CCNA R & S. My plan now is to take my Security + again in January then start on my CCNP Switch exam.

Comments

• jdancerjdancer Member Posts: 482 ■■■■□□□□□□
    I think you already answered your own question. It seems you want to pursue your CCNP.
  • hannismhannism Member Posts: 112
    I would do the CEUs to renew the Security+. The SY0-401 is a lot harder. I've had people who passed the 301 fail the 401. No joke.

The CEUs are pretty easy to do. You just need 50 to renew your license.

You still have until Nov. 30 to take the CCNA: Security. After that date, it goes to the new exam 210-260 (I think that's the number).

I'm planning to get my 640-554 before the cut-off.

If you can pass the CCNA:R&S and Security+, you can definitely do it. That is if you WANT to.
    Obtained: CompTIA Linux+ [X] CompTIA Security + [X] CCENT [X] CCNA: Routing and Switching [X] CCNA: Security [X] CCNA: Wireless [X] Linux Server Professional (LPIC-1) [X] SUSE Certified Linux Administrator [X]
    Currently studying: Red Hat Certified System Administrator > Red Hat Certified System Engineer > CISSP
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    The CCNA Sec will be easier once you've got the CCNP. The CCNP Switch will renew the CCNA R+S.

But how much did you miss out by? How well were you doing on the practice tests? If you were close, one last shot this month might be worth it.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM
  • CheebahawkCheebahawk Member Posts: 16 ■□□□□□□□□□
    Do you know what you're struggling with? As Octal said, alot of what's in the CCNA:Sec book is also in the CCNP:Switch book's security chapters. You could be a baller and do both together! icon_study.gificon_cheers.gif
    2015 Goals: CCNA: Security [Scrapped(210-260)] CCNP Switch [ ] Route [ ] Tshoot [ ]
  • volfkhatvolfkhat Member Posts: 1,046 ■■■■■■■■□□
    bamahonky wrote: »
    A little background. In January 2012, I earned my Security +.

As far as i know... the cert is only good for 3 years.

Counting on my fingers.... it expired in January 2015?

So... there is nothing to renew.
    (The CCNA doesn't renew the Sec+)
  • alan2308alan2308 Member Posts: 1,854 ■■■■■■■■□□
    If you're going to give up and try something else every time you fail an exam, you're probably not going to get very far in any direction. The person who's never failed a few exams along the way probably isn't doing it very honestly.
  • paq7512paq7512 Member Posts: 102 ■■□□□□□□□□
    I would try again, maybe a new path? Do you have access to the ASA and such? The CCNP is a great idea but much bigger path.
  • OctalDumpOctalDump Member Posts: 1,722
    volfkhat wrote: »
    As far as i know... the cert is only good for 3 years.

Counting on my fingers.... it expired in January 2015?

So... there is nothing to renew.
    (The CCNA doesn't renew the Sec+)

I took OP to mean renewing CCNA R+S, but now I'm not so sure. I think I had CCIE expiry of 2 years in my head for some reason.

Maybe OP made mistake with dates in their post.
    2017 Goals - Something Cisco, Something Linux, Agile PM