Options

Avoiding IT jobs with staff management duties

EagerDinosaurEagerDinosaur Member Posts: 114
I've been a developer for decades in various languages, so I tend to to be called a "Senior Developer", and I think I'm pretty good at the technical aspects of my job. During that time, I've tried to avoid posts that involve management of other staff, because I don't think I have the innate people-skills for it, and I probably have some Aspergers traits. I was a line-manager for another person years ago, and that didn't end well. I'm happy providing technical leadership to other people when appropriate.

Does anyone else deliberately avoid jobs involving formal staff-management duties?
From an employer's point of view, what are the benefits of giving primarily technical people staff-management duties?
Engaging in stereo-types for a moment, do people prefer to be managed by "technical" or "non-technical" people?

Comments

• Options
    gespensterngespenstern Member Posts: 1,243 ■■■■■■■■□□
    I avoid staff management. I managed up to 10 people at some points in my career and didn't like it. Never failed a project I managed, however... Now I switched to 100% consulting.

Can't tell on employer's PoV...

I prefer to be managed by tech people or at least former techs and hate to be managed by non-techs. Managing me isn't easy as I'm self-managed for pretty much everything, but it's especially uneasy for non-tech people...
  • Options
    CyberscumCyberscum Member Posts: 795 ■■■■■□□□□□
    Well in my opinion it is always best to challenge yourself and get out of your comfort zone. For instance, I was feeling a little bit uneasy about public speaking the other day and decided the next day to go to a toast masters meeting. I volunteered to speak and while it was definitely not the best job I have done, I wanted to challenge myself. I understand your concern about management roles. A lot of the time these roles can become burdensome or stressful for individuals. In my opinion I feel that a management position is what you make of it. If you are a micromanager or power monger the job is stressful, but if you believe in people’s potential and rely on their expertise then it is a breeze. People for the most part are very capable and pleasant, it’s a matter of creating the right environment for them to excel at what they do. Employees that are producing crap work or are unpleasant usually are just unhappy with their environment or current role, both which can be changed.

All I am trying to say is not to label yourself. Just because one job did not work out for you does not mean the position is not for you. Challenge yourself and always look at how you can use your skills in a positive light. No one manager is the same. Some are very hands on (I dislike) and some are very hands off (I prefer), but a good manager will communicate with employees to identify which type of manager the employee prefers and try to accommodate.