subnetting............class?

jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
I've already taken the 291 didn't pass, now as I am back to studying after a summer break icon_lol.gif

I can't remember if there were any class A subnetting questions, i mostly remember class B

reason for asking, Ii'm back to burning a custom subnett chart into my brain, that I can jot down as I first sit down for the test, and I am wondering should I really drill down on the number of hosts for class A for each subnett, I know I should know them and I know how to find them, but class B is like cake to me, class a has larger numbers

should I devote a few minutes to burn these numbers into my brain as well icon_wink.gif
get back to studying!!!

Comments

• Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    You don't have to go that wild. Subnetting is really incidental in the exam.
    They also let you use the MS basic calculator in the exam, unlike other exams. I'd doubt you'll end up needing it though.
  • LukeQuakeLukeQuake Member Posts: 579 ■■■□□□□□□□
    Do you have questions like "Work out this subnet from these bits?" ?
  • jkstechjkstech Member Posts: 330
    yeah, it's not that serious, i just like to right down a little chart when i start, i can figure it out easy enough, but i don't remember any class a addresses
    get back to studying!!!
  • !30!30 Member Posts: 356
    @jkstech

A trick , that helps me subneting in brain : retain this values:
    & this subneting
    but i don't remember any class a addresses

check this : class A

Maybe you got the right thing , subneting is very important !

Good luck ! ( you'll need it ) :P
    Optimism is an occupational hazard of programming: feedback is the treament. (Kent Beck)
  • eurotrasheurotrash Member Posts: 817
    !30 wrote:
    And 254, 255 :P
    witty comment
    :D

thanks
    @31

yeah, I know those numbers as well as the number of bits used, and how many subnets/hosts but it's just that class a has such huge numbers, i'm sure I can remember them, I think I will just for good measure, it can't hurt
    get back to studying!!!
  • justin42279justin42279 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i don't see the point. as stated earlier, there's a sci cal. on the test.

using the calculator, you can convert decimal to binary and vise versa. The just use the formula (2 to the power of n minus 2) n is the number of host bits then address. that will give you the number of hosts possible.

You're truely putting to much study into memorizing subnet crap when you should focus more on the windows crap. That's going to be tested more heavily.
  • Danman32Danman32 Member Posts: 1,243
    I don't think it is a sci calculator, only basic.
    At least it was when I checked in my later exams just to see.
    i don't see the point. as stated earlier, there's a sci cal. on the test.

using the calculator, you can convert decimal to binary and vise versa. The just use the formula (2 to the power of n minus 2) n is the number of host bits then address. that will give you the number of hosts possible.

You're truely putting to much study into memorizing subnet crap when you should focus more on the windows crap. That's going to be tested more heavily.

last i checked it was a basic calculator not a sci?
    if there is then good, like i said, i already know most of it anyway and can subnett pretty much on the fly, just want to be prepared, i don't actually recall much subnetting but it's still something to know....

thanks for all replys
    get back to studying!!!
  • justin42279justin42279 Member Posts: 18 ■□□□□□□□□□
    i could have sworn it was a sci cal. tell you the truth, i never used the thing on my test. I just clicked on it in the beginning to see what it was.

Anyway, to each there own. Hope it works out for ya.

Justin